Re: [aprsisce] TCP/IP Local Server?

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
      Yes, APRSISCE/32 offers an "IS-Server" port type, but only if you're
      running the Development version. Configure it like any other TCP/IP
      port, but you need to pay attention to the IP address and port that you
      specify. 0.0.0.0 will allow any source address to connect. 127.0.0.1
      will only accept connections from the current machine.
      <Your.Machines.IP.Address> will accept connections from anyone on the
      LAN to which that address is connected. Of course, the port that you
      choose must not be in use by any other TCP/IP connection.

      Further, the APRSISCE/32 IS-Server port supports full filters from the
      downstream clients. However, these are simply further filters of the
      server's feed, so you can't ask for anything that the server isn't
      receiving. Also, the downstream client isn't treated as "special" and
      must still provide a valid APRS-IS password to the server or any packets
      it transmits will be dropped and not forwarded.

      What was the subject and date/time of the aprssig message. I must have
      missed that paragraph, but would like to respond to set the record straight.

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011

        Made an initial wiki page here http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/is-server-port

        Perhaps someone could let WA8LMF know (grin)

        Torbay Freecycle Moderator

        UI-View is not unique in that APRSIS32 has that also IS-Server port in the configure ports, I notice it’s not documented in the Wiki I will get on with that now

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
          Already been done.  Posted to aprssig in response to his statement.

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011

            In the course of writing up a quick wiki page about IS-Server, I will flesh it out a bit more. I noticed something so:-

            Request

            Context sensitive config boxes for ports, for example IS-Server config refers to IS-RF RF-IS which preferably should be IS-ISS ISS-IS or something better than that the reference to RF could be confusing to a user. Not looked at the other ports

            And also does IS-S server config really need the tcp/ip Bluetooth comn box I would think it’s always going to be TCP/IP

            Just a thought

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
              I'm running the TCP/IP server on 2011/08/21 16:57 (not the development version).

              Also, my APRSIS server is using a network address with other APRSIS instances connecting on port 14580 (same as the IS port).  I run the 'stock' range filter at zero becaus there is a size limit on the input box.  On the filter line, I use a HUGE range filter so it basically passes all on that normal feed, but can change it easily without changing the port.

              Also, I remember sending something about the wiki on this point a short time ago.

              Robert Giuliano
              KB8RCO

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011

                  I try and keep upto date and update the wiki but it’s not always easy, that why the forum on the wiki is being promoted,

                  People can post new info for each page of the wiki, makes it much easier than going through a lot of post on the group

                  Yes the wiki lags behind the software development by a bit, the wiki editors  are trying to leave Lynn free to code. It’s not just me attacking the wiki

                  So if you would like a wiki page change post on the wiki forum.  If you look at a page on the wiki there is a discuss button at bottom

                  Torbay Freecycle Moderator

                  Yes, APRSISCE/32 offers an "IS-Server" port type, but only if you're
                  running the Development version. Configure it like any other TCP/IP
                  port, but you need to pay attention to the IP address and port that you
                  specify. 0.0.0.0 will allow any source address to connect. 127.0.0.1
                  will only accept connections from the current machine.
                  <Your.Machines.IP.Address> will accept connections from anyone on the
                  LAN to which that address is connected. Of course, the port that you
                  choose must not be in use by any other TCP/IP connection.

                  Further, the APRSISCE/32 IS-Server port supports full filters from the
                  downstream clients. However, these are simply further filters of the
                  server's feed, so you can't ask for anything that the server isn't
                  receiving. Also, the downstream client isn't treated as "special" and
                  must still provide a valid APRS-IS password to the server or any packets
                  it transmits will be dropped and not forwarded.

                  What was the subject and date/time of the aprssig message. I must have
                  missed that paragraph, but would like to respond to set the record straight.

                  On 10/2/2011 2:19 PM, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:
                  > I haven't used APRSIS/32 very much with a TCP/IP connection, so I
                  > haven't explored the capabilities the program has in that regard.
                  > Stephen Smith WA8LMF posted the following in the TAPR APRSSIG. Does
                  > APRSIS/32 have anything like this?
                  >
                  > "One of the features that is unique (as far as I know) to UIview is
                  > it's TCP/IP 'local server'. Everything UIview hears from the attached
                  > radio/TNC --and/or-- it's Internet APRS-IS login is replicated at a
                  > local TCP/IP server port. In turn, other APRS clients and
                  > applications on the same LAN can connect to the local server in
                  > exactly the same way they would to the Internet APRS-IS. This local
                  > server port is fully bi-directional. Other users on the LAN can send
                  > messages either to RF (via the UIivew host's radio/TNC), --or-- to
                  > stations on the APRS-IS --or-- to other stations on the LAN."
                  >
                  > Bob...

                • Rob Giuliano
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
                    No complaints here!
                    I think the WIKI is coming along in quite impressive manner.  My comment was intended as a THANKS! for getting to it.  Guess I could have worded better!

                    I'm still positive the TCP server I am using has never been the development version.  It is running under on a new install of Mint under a virtual environment of Windows XP.  All my other versions are the development version, but not that one.

                    Robert Giuliano
                    KB8RCO

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011

                        I didn’t take it as a complaint Rob, sorry if I came across like I did

                        Torbay Freecycle Moderator

                        Yes, APRSISCE/32 offers an "IS-Server" port type, but only if you're
                        running the Development version. Configure it like any other TCP/IP
                        port, but you need to pay attention to the IP address and port that you
                        specify. 0.0.0.0 will allow any source address to connect. 127.0.0.1
                        will only accept connections from the current machine.
                        <Your.Machines.IP.Address> will accept connections from anyone on the
                        LAN to which that address is connected. Of course, the port that you
                        choose must not be in use by any other TCP/IP connection.

                        Further, the APRSISCE/32 IS-Server port supports full filters from the
                        downstream clients. However, these are simply further filters of the
                        server's feed, so you can't ask for anything that the server isn't
                        receiving. Also, the downstream client isn't treated as "special" and
                        must still provide a valid APRS-IS password to the server or any packets
                        it transmits will be dropped and not forwarded.

                        What was the subject and date/time of the aprssig message. I must have
                        missed that paragraph, but would like to respond to set the record straight.

                        On 10/2/2011 2:19 PM, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:
                        > I haven't used APRSIS/32 very much with a TCP/IP connection, so I
                        > haven't explored the capabilities the program has in that regard.
                        > Stephen Smith WA8LMF posted the following in the TAPR APRSSIG. Does
                        > APRSIS/32 have anything like this?
                        >
                        > "One of the features that is unique (as far as I know) to UIview is
                        > it's TCP/IP 'local server'. Everything UIview hears from the attached
                        > radio/TNC --and/or-- it's Internet APRS-IS login is replicated at a
                        > local TCP/IP server port. In turn, other APRS clients and
                        > applications on the same LAN can connect to the local server in
                        > exactly the same way they would to the Internet APRS-IS. This local
                        > server port is fully bi-directional. Other users on the LAN can send
                        > messages either to RF (via the UIivew host's radio/TNC), --or-- to
                        > stations on the APRS-IS --or-- to other stations on the LAN."
                        >
                        > Bob...

                      • Rob Giuliano
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
                          And as one who runs both development and released versions, I agree with the expectations and RESULTS.

                          The release version is what I use for the "server" because of that.  Although, if the feature was only in the development version, I would have run a set development version just for that feature.  Isn't Version 2011/08/21 16:57 the latest?

                          Or was this from 'available in a previous full released' version, so still available on that installation - situation?

                          Robert Giuliano
                          KB8RCO

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
                              Hi Bob,

                              I have been using the TCP/IP connection for awhile now. I do use the development version. I started with just watching raw packets, but I have been working on a connection for my FT857D to set it to received frequency objects and to send my own frequency.

                              I have thought about doing  an "LCD Display" to simulate the LCD connected to my OT2 just for a quick view of the last packet received.

                              Lynn is still working on his interface so I/we can send via RF (currently it is only IS). I am looking forward to the new development.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
                                Hi Lynn,

                                "Further, the APRSISCE/32 IS-Server port supports full filters from the
                                downstream clients. However, these are simply further filters of the
                                server's feed, so you can't ask for anything that the server isn't
                                receiving."

                                I have APRSIS32 set for a/75/-168/15/-50 which is basically North America.
                                My client sends r/43/-71.5/1000. I thought this should limit the view in my
                                clients to 100 miles. I am seeing packets from further out than expected.
                                This is one example: WD8GEO-9 at ~500 from the client's filter parameter.

                                Now that I have recently added calculating the direction and distance this
                                has become more apparent. I had not really looked at this before. I also had
                                a shorted range in APRSIS32 previously.

                                Is APRSIS32 using my client filter within its own filter currently?

                                Thanks!

                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
                                  On 10/3/2011 11:52 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                                  > I have APRSIS32 set for a/75/-168/15/-50 which is basically North America.
                                  > My client sends r/43/-71.5/1000. I thought this should limit the view in my
                                  > clients to 100 miles. I am seeing packets from further out than expected.
                                  > This is one example: WD8GEO-9 at ~500 from the client's filter parameter.

                                  Your r/... filter is for 1000 kilometers. The 1/10 mile thing in
                                  Configure / General's Range is an APRSISCE/32 convenience for ... well,
                                  ME which is who I wrote the thing for back when that was done. See the
                                  first entry at http://www.aprs-is.net/javaprsfilter.aspx All ranges in
                                  the raw APRS-IS filters are in kilometers.

                                  > Now that I have recently added calculating the direction and distance this
                                  > has become more apparent. I had not really looked at this before. I also had
                                  > a shorted range in APRSIS32 previously.
                                  >
                                  > Is APRSIS32 using my client filter within its own filter currently?

                                  Yes, it should be. If you correct it as described above and it still
                                  gives you stuff that's far away, please let me know so I can look into
                                  it. Also, you can test your filters with Control-G in the server and
                                  see what your client should be seeing. You'll see a dramatic difference
                                  between r/..../1000 and r/..../160 (100 miles as kilometers).

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
                                    DOH! I knew that. I remember testing that now. I had recently looked at my General Setting and specifically the range and let it direct me down the wrong thought.

                                    Thanks!
                                    Fred, N7FMH