RE: [aprsisce] TCP/IP Local Server?

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011

      UI-View is not unique in that APRSIS32 has that also IS-Server port in the configure ports, I notice it’s not documented in the Wiki I will get on with that now

      Torbay Freecycle Moderator

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
        Yes, APRSISCE/32 offers an "IS-Server" port type, but only if you're
        running the Development version. Configure it like any other TCP/IP
        port, but you need to pay attention to the IP address and port that you
        specify. 0.0.0.0 will allow any source address to connect. 127.0.0.1
        will only accept connections from the current machine.
        <Your.Machines.IP.Address> will accept connections from anyone on the
        LAN to which that address is connected. Of course, the port that you
        choose must not be in use by any other TCP/IP connection.

        Further, the APRSISCE/32 IS-Server port supports full filters from the
        downstream clients. However, these are simply further filters of the
        server's feed, so you can't ask for anything that the server isn't
        receiving. Also, the downstream client isn't treated as "special" and
        must still provide a valid APRS-IS password to the server or any packets
        it transmits will be dropped and not forwarded.

        What was the subject and date/time of the aprssig message. I must have
        missed that paragraph, but would like to respond to set the record straight.

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011

          Made an initial wiki page here http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/is-server-port

          Perhaps someone could let WA8LMF know (grin)

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
            Already been done.  Posted to aprssig in response to his statement.

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011

              In the course of writing up a quick wiki page about IS-Server, I will flesh it out a bit more. I noticed something so:-

              Request

              Context sensitive config boxes for ports, for example IS-Server config refers to IS-RF RF-IS which preferably should be IS-ISS ISS-IS or something better than that the reference to RF could be confusing to a user. Not looked at the other ports

              And also does IS-S server config really need the tcp/ip Bluetooth comn box I would think it’s always going to be TCP/IP

              Just a thought

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
                I'm running the TCP/IP server on 2011/08/21 16:57 (not the development version).

                Also, my APRSIS server is using a network address with other APRSIS instances connecting on port 14580 (same as the IS port).  I run the 'stock' range filter at zero becaus there is a size limit on the input box.  On the filter line, I use a HUGE range filter so it basically passes all on that normal feed, but can change it easily without changing the port.

                Also, I remember sending something about the wiki on this point a short time ago.

                Robert Giuliano
                KB8RCO

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011

                    I try and keep upto date and update the wiki but it’s not always easy, that why the forum on the wiki is being promoted,

                    People can post new info for each page of the wiki, makes it much easier than going through a lot of post on the group

                    Yes the wiki lags behind the software development by a bit, the wiki editors  are trying to leave Lynn free to code. It’s not just me attacking the wiki

                    So if you would like a wiki page change post on the wiki forum.  If you look at a page on the wiki there is a discuss button at bottom

                    Torbay Freecycle Moderator

                    Yes, APRSISCE/32 offers an "IS-Server" port type, but only if you're
                    running the Development version. Configure it like any other TCP/IP
                    port, but you need to pay attention to the IP address and port that you
                    specify. 0.0.0.0 will allow any source address to connect. 127.0.0.1
                    will only accept connections from the current machine.
                    <Your.Machines.IP.Address> will accept connections from anyone on the
                    LAN to which that address is connected. Of course, the port that you
                    choose must not be in use by any other TCP/IP connection.

                    Further, the APRSISCE/32 IS-Server port supports full filters from the
                    downstream clients. However, these are simply further filters of the
                    server's feed, so you can't ask for anything that the server isn't
                    receiving. Also, the downstream client isn't treated as "special" and
                    must still provide a valid APRS-IS password to the server or any packets
                    it transmits will be dropped and not forwarded.

                    What was the subject and date/time of the aprssig message. I must have
                    missed that paragraph, but would like to respond to set the record straight.

                    On 10/2/2011 2:19 PM, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:
                    > I haven't used APRSIS/32 very much with a TCP/IP connection, so I
                    > haven't explored the capabilities the program has in that regard.
                    > Stephen Smith WA8LMF posted the following in the TAPR APRSSIG. Does
                    > APRSIS/32 have anything like this?
                    >
                    > "One of the features that is unique (as far as I know) to UIview is
                    > it's TCP/IP 'local server'. Everything UIview hears from the attached
                    > radio/TNC --and/or-- it's Internet APRS-IS login is replicated at a
                    > local TCP/IP server port. In turn, other APRS clients and
                    > applications on the same LAN can connect to the local server in
                    > exactly the same way they would to the Internet APRS-IS. This local
                    > server port is fully bi-directional. Other users on the LAN can send
                    > messages either to RF (via the UIivew host's radio/TNC), --or-- to
                    > stations on the APRS-IS --or-- to other stations on the LAN."
                    >
                    > Bob...

                  • Rob Giuliano
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
                      No complaints here!
                      I think the WIKI is coming along in quite impressive manner.  My comment was intended as a THANKS! for getting to it.  Guess I could have worded better!

                      I'm still positive the TCP server I am using has never been the development version.  It is running under on a new install of Mint under a virtual environment of Windows XP.  All my other versions are the development version, but not that one.

                      Robert Giuliano
                      KB8RCO

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011

                          I didn’t take it as a complaint Rob, sorry if I came across like I did

                          Torbay Freecycle Moderator

                          Yes, APRSISCE/32 offers an "IS-Server" port type, but only if you're
                          running the Development version. Configure it like any other TCP/IP
                          port, but you need to pay attention to the IP address and port that you
                          specify. 0.0.0.0 will allow any source address to connect. 127.0.0.1
                          will only accept connections from the current machine.
                          <Your.Machines.IP.Address> will accept connections from anyone on the
                          LAN to which that address is connected. Of course, the port that you
                          choose must not be in use by any other TCP/IP connection.

                          Further, the APRSISCE/32 IS-Server port supports full filters from the
                          downstream clients. However, these are simply further filters of the
                          server's feed, so you can't ask for anything that the server isn't
                          receiving. Also, the downstream client isn't treated as "special" and
                          must still provide a valid APRS-IS password to the server or any packets
                          it transmits will be dropped and not forwarded.

                          What was the subject and date/time of the aprssig message. I must have
                          missed that paragraph, but would like to respond to set the record straight.

                          On 10/2/2011 2:19 PM, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:
                          > I haven't used APRSIS/32 very much with a TCP/IP connection, so I
                          > haven't explored the capabilities the program has in that regard.
                          > Stephen Smith WA8LMF posted the following in the TAPR APRSSIG. Does
                          > APRSIS/32 have anything like this?
                          >
                          > "One of the features that is unique (as far as I know) to UIview is
                          > it's TCP/IP 'local server'. Everything UIview hears from the attached
                          > radio/TNC --and/or-- it's Internet APRS-IS login is replicated at a
                          > local TCP/IP server port. In turn, other APRS clients and
                          > applications on the same LAN can connect to the local server in
                          > exactly the same way they would to the Internet APRS-IS. This local
                          > server port is fully bi-directional. Other users on the LAN can send
                          > messages either to RF (via the UIivew host's radio/TNC), --or-- to
                          > stations on the APRS-IS --or-- to other stations on the LAN."
                          >
                          > Bob...

                        • Rob Giuliano
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
                            And as one who runs both development and released versions, I agree with the expectations and RESULTS.

                            The release version is what I use for the "server" because of that.  Although, if the feature was only in the development version, I would have run a set development version just for that feature.  Isn't Version 2011/08/21 16:57 the latest?

                            Or was this from 'available in a previous full released' version, so still available on that installation - situation?

                            Robert Giuliano
                            KB8RCO

                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
                                Hi Bob,

                                I have been using the TCP/IP connection for awhile now. I do use the development version. I started with just watching raw packets, but I have been working on a connection for my FT857D to set it to received frequency objects and to send my own frequency.

                                I have thought about doing  an "LCD Display" to simulate the LCD connected to my OT2 just for a quick view of the last packet received.

                                Lynn is still working on his interface so I/we can send via RF (currently it is only IS). I am looking forward to the new development.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
                                  Hi Lynn,

                                  "Further, the APRSISCE/32 IS-Server port supports full filters from the
                                  downstream clients. However, these are simply further filters of the
                                  server's feed, so you can't ask for anything that the server isn't
                                  receiving."

                                  I have APRSIS32 set for a/75/-168/15/-50 which is basically North America.
                                  My client sends r/43/-71.5/1000. I thought this should limit the view in my
                                  clients to 100 miles. I am seeing packets from further out than expected.
                                  This is one example: WD8GEO-9 at ~500 from the client's filter parameter.

                                  Now that I have recently added calculating the direction and distance this
                                  has become more apparent. I had not really looked at this before. I also had
                                  a shorted range in APRSIS32 previously.

                                  Is APRSIS32 using my client filter within its own filter currently?

                                  Thanks!

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
                                    On 10/3/2011 11:52 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                                    > I have APRSIS32 set for a/75/-168/15/-50 which is basically North America.
                                    > My client sends r/43/-71.5/1000. I thought this should limit the view in my
                                    > clients to 100 miles. I am seeing packets from further out than expected.
                                    > This is one example: WD8GEO-9 at ~500 from the client's filter parameter.

                                    Your r/... filter is for 1000 kilometers. The 1/10 mile thing in
                                    Configure / General's Range is an APRSISCE/32 convenience for ... well,
                                    ME which is who I wrote the thing for back when that was done. See the
                                    first entry at http://www.aprs-is.net/javaprsfilter.aspx All ranges in
                                    the raw APRS-IS filters are in kilometers.

                                    > Now that I have recently added calculating the direction and distance this
                                    > has become more apparent. I had not really looked at this before. I also had
                                    > a shorted range in APRSIS32 previously.
                                    >
                                    > Is APRSIS32 using my client filter within its own filter currently?

                                    Yes, it should be. If you correct it as described above and it still
                                    gives you stuff that's far away, please let me know so I can look into
                                    it. Also, you can test your filters with Control-G in the server and
                                    see what your client should be seeing. You'll see a dramatic difference
                                    between r/..../1000 and r/..../160 (100 miles as kilometers).

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
                                      DOH! I knew that. I remember testing that now. I had recently looked at my General Setting and specifically the range and let it direct me down the wrong thought.

                                      Thanks!
                                      Fred, N7FMH