Kenwood TH-D72a works great!

  • Sander Pool
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2011
      Hi,

      thanks very much for providing this great program! I got my tech and
      general licenses a week ago and my TH-D72a yesterday. After some
      fiddling with the ports and settings on the radio I was able to set
      things up. The radio is set to packet12 TNC mode and APRS-IS uses a KISS
      port to read and write to it.

      I don't think there's a way to use the built in GPS to beacon the
      station's own position while also receiving APRS data from the TNC. I
      suppose for mobile situations where the radio is only used as a TNC it's
      OK to add a second GPS to the laptop where APRS-IS is running. Time to
      dust off a BT GPS mouse I have lying around somewhere. If the station is
      stationary then the builtin GPS can be used to set the location
      accurately before switching to TNC mode, I suppose.

      73,

      Sander KB1WCY
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2011

        I don’t know about the D72 but the following was written for the D710, so you might try that and see what happens, I have no idea if it will work

        On 9/25/2011 11:20 AM, Stan Leeds wrote:

        When the 710 is doing all the APRS work, then the GPS-710 will function and I think I will try a NEMA port for APRSIS32 to view all the incoming RF data using same Call and SSID on both machines..

        Not an NMEA port, but check the GPS/NMEA checkbox on the 710's RF port configuration.

        For APRSIS32 to do all the APRSing, then I will have an external GPS to the mobile PC and then put the 710 into KISS.

        Or try the new CONVerse mode port in APRSISCE/32 with the same box checked and tell the 710 to provide NMEA sentences when in normal TNC mode. The only thing APRSISCE/32 won't be able to do in that configuration is digipeat as it can't transmit a used (*) path component.

        Torbay Freecycle Moderator