Re: [aprsisce] G6UIM nearly SK

  • Bob Burns W9RXR
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2011
      At 06:33 PM 9/29/2011, Steve Daniels wrote:

      >To sum up just because the switch is off, don't believe it, check
      >with a meter.

      In 1965, my family moved into a house in Frankfort, Indiana, that was
      built in 1909. I don't know that my dad investigated the house's
      attic very well before he and Mom bought the place. An important oversight.

      At the time the house was constructed, the electric power lines in
      that neighborhood were run down the street, so the electric service
      entrance to the house was at the front. The original wiring, as we
      found out later, was knob and tube with individual exposed wires.

      At some time in the house's history, the power lines had been
      relocated to the alley behind the house, so the service entrance was
      moved to the back. There was a meter base on the back of the house
      and a main fuse and distribution panel below the meter in the basement.

      Soon after we moved in, Dad discovered that one of the outlets in an
      upstairs bedroom was broken and creating a hazardous situation. My
      dad was a good handyman and comfortable with household electrical
      repairs. So, he bought a new outlet, gathered up his tools, pulled
      the main fuse from the fuse panel in the basement, and went upstairs
      to work on the outlet thinking that the entire house was without
      power. As he pulled the old outlet out of the wall box, he got zapped
      with 120 volts. One of the few times I ever heard my dad swear.

      As it turned out, not all of the circuits in the house went through
      the main fuse panel. Dad found the knob and tube wiring up in the
      attic along with some porcelain fuse holders and knife switches. Dad
      didn't have a meter, but he did have a simple neon bulb electrical
      tester. Sure enough, the wiring going to those fuse holders and
      switches was still live...even with the main fuse pulled in the fuse
      panel in the basement.

      So, yes, just because the switch is off, check the circuit with a
      test lamp or meter.

      Bob...