Re: [aprsisce] Colorful sneak peek

  • Rob Giuliano
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 29, 2011
      Yes, nicknames - alias are for digipeating.  My confusion.

      Looks like you already had my thoughts pretty much ironed out before I did!

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO

      From: Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...>
      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, September 29, 2011, 9:46 AM

      "Lynn, I like. But will the user have individual control of what
      colors get assigned to what stations? Bob..."

      It would be nice to be able to define station names to a color. I suspect
      that pre-defining would be helpful in events, rather than waiting for a
      couple of track points to occur.

      They do look nice!

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 29, 2011

        On 9/29/2011 1:56 PM, Rob Giuliano wrote:
        Yes, nicknames - alias are for digipeating.  My confusion.

        One of my personal mantras from 20+ years in software development is that "Naming will make or break a project".  As a matter of fact, we just spent 5 minutes in a conference call with our client just trying to name a new configuration parameter.  Net price?  15 man-minutes to come up with "CONVEYOR_PICK_ZONE".  Value?  PRICELESS, especially 2-5 years from now when none of us remember just what the name of that parameter is that tells us which zone the conveyor picker is pulling product from!  (Yes, I do work at my day job sometimes, contrary to outward appearances).

        Looks like you already had my thoughts pretty much ironed out before I did!

        Not always so please do continue posting anything you come up with.

        Robert Giuliano
        KB8RCO

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 29, 2011
          On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
          <kj4erj@...> wrote:

          > One of my personal mantras from 20+ years in software development is
          > that "Naming will make or break a project".

          Really?

          Seriously, really???

          This from a guy with a program called APRSISCE/32???

          We have confusion between APRSIS and APRS-IS, and APRSISCE doesn't run
          on Windows CE...

          It's not April 1 yet Lynn, you can't pull that on me!

        • Bob Burns W9RXR
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 30, 2011
            At 06:40 AM 9/29/2011, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

            >Yes, the individual station popup menu will have an option to "Set
            >Track Color" just below "Save Track" and "Clear Track".

            Good.

            >The station needs to have moved at least twice before this option
            >will be presented.

            Ummm...That will make it difficult to pre-determine the color of the
            track for a particular station. I might want to do that. More later.

            > The set color will expire if the station ever expires.

            This is logical from a programmer's standpoint. Don't know that I'm
            crazy about it as I will touch on later.

            > It will be retained if the track is cleared, however.

            Good.

            >The color in this case will be selected from a list-box of
            >pre-configured color choices, potentially LOTS more than you saw in
            >that cascading menu.

            Don't get too crazy with the number of color selections.

            At 09:46 AM 9/29/2011, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

            >It would be nice to be able to define station names to a color.

            I agree.

            >I suspect that pre-defining would be helpful in events, rather than
            >waiting for a couple of track points to occur.

            Yes, it would. Using either the beaconed callsign or the internal
            alias. Here's the "later" I mentioned above. It would be really cool
            if I could wildcard the color pre-selection. For example, make it so
            all "MSSAG*" stations would track green and all "MSMED*" stations track red.

            Bob...
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 30, 2011
              On 9/30/2011 8:27 AM, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:

              > Yes, it would. Using either the beaconed callsign or the internal
              > alias. Here's the "later" I mentioned above. It would be really cool
              > if I could wildcard the color pre-selection. For example, make it so
              > all "MSSAG*" stations would track green and all "MSMED*" stations track red.

              Not happening with the wildcards, sorry. But since you're probably
              using nicknames for the actual stations anyway, I've just supported
              specifying the track color for a nickname. This makes them persistent
              across restarts, configurable before the station even shows up let alone
              moves, and just generally pretty flexible.

              Now, I just need to finish up a bit of the configuration dialogs to
              actually DO all of this stuff I've been talking about.

            • kd4dra
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 30, 2011
                That Sounds real good, one of my year old request has come to light.

                Thanks

                 Rick
                KD4DRA