MIC-E

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 27, 2011
      I am watching Kenwood users. Here is one at a suspicious altitude some of
      the time: KJ4ETP-9.

      It crashed my MIC-E decoder ring!

      Best regards,
      Fred
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 27, 2011
        I have been working on decoding MIC-E. Very clever indeed! For a better appreciation of what Lynn is doing, you should take some time and work some out on paper. I am having fun at at!

        Best regards,
        Fred

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 27, 2011
          According to aprs.fi's Decoded packet view at
          http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KJ4ETP-9&limit=50&view=decoded, not all of
          this station's packets have an altitude in them.

          And I trust it's YOUR decoder ring that broke, and not the one in
          APRSISCE/32?

          PS. If you need me to walk through one of the packets with you, just
          let me know which timestamp from aprs.fi's raw page and I'll see what I
          can do.

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 27, 2011
            My decoder ring is only broken for a few oddball packets. I can trap this as an error and move on but I would like to understand it better.

            APRSIS32 reports 3280843 for the altitude which is totally bogus. There is a weird character in the string that APRS.FI reports as <0x9a> maybe.

            I am pretty sure this is the packet:
            2011-09-27 16:08:12 UTC: KJ4ETP-9>SUUP8P,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,WA4BDS:`oUzl <0x1c>>/]<0x9a>xt}147.300MHz <Knox,TN> clintserman@gmail=

            I haven't put too much error checking yet. I am decoding most of the packets. That one comes up every now and again. I found some errors with the coordinate routine. I hate transposing characters!

            I do like how nice and neat Kenwood and Yaesu sends their frequency data. It would be nice if all users would let the radio do the frequency part.

            According to aprs.fi's Decoded packet view at
            http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KJ4ETP-9&limit=50&view=decoded, not all of
            this station's packets have an altitude in them.

            And I trust it's YOUR decoder ring that broke, and not the one in
            APRSISCE/32?

            PS. If you need me to walk through one of the packets with you, just
            let me know which timestamp from aprs.fi's raw page and I'll see what I
            can do.

            On 9/27/2011 12:12 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

            > I am watching Kenwood users. Here is one at a suspicious altitude
            some of
            > the time: KJ4ETP-9.
            >
            > It crashed my MIC-E decoder
            ring!

            > Best regards,
            > Fred

          • Ian Wade G3NRW
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 27, 2011
              From: Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...>
              Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 Time: 12:19:13

              >I have been working on decoding MIC-E. Very clever indeed! For a better
              >appreciation of what Lynn is doing, you should take some time and work
              >some out on paper. I am having fun at at!

              Hi Fred

              Several years ago I wrote a couple of utilities that I found very useful
              in decoding APRS packets (including Mic-E), and encoding Mic-E packets.

              http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/aprs.htm

              You will see all the details for decoding and encoding Mic-E in APRSDEC
              and MICENC. Try inputting your raw data to these two programs, and see
              if you come up with the same answers!

              --
              73
              Ian, G3NRW
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 27, 2011

                In October, Donna and I will be riding in the Bike MS: Valero Alamo Ride to the River to support MS
                http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/bradleyjab

                From: Ian Wade G3NRW <g3nrw-radio@...>
                Sender: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:09:14 +0100
                To: <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                From: Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...>
                Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 Time: 12:19:13

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 27, 2011
                  Hi Ian,

                  I am getting the right answers except for a couple of odd packets. The earlier packet works out to an altitude of beyond reality (3.28 million feet) in APRSIS32 and crashes my app. I suspect I have a buffer limitation which is easy to fix. Actually for that example I will eliminate the altitude data since it is bogus anyway. And, for my purposes, the altitude really doesn't matter anyway but it is nice to understand how it works.

                       From my earlier email, "APRSIS32 reports 3280843 for the altitude".

                  Thanks!

                  doing, you should take some time and work
                  >some out on paper. I am having
                  fun at at!

                  Hi Fred

                  Several years ago I wrote a couple of utilities that I found very useful
                  in decoding APRS packets (including Mic-E), and encoding Mic-E packets.

                  http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/aprs.htm

                  You will see all the details for decoding and encoding Mic-E in APRSDEC
                  and MICENC. Try inputting your raw data to these two programs, and see
                  if you come up with the same answers!

                  --
                  73
                  Ian, G3NRW

                • chuckn4ued
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 3, 2012
                    I keep seeing MIC-E transmit status . What does that mean and how can I set APRSISCE so the MIC-E transmit status will not show up ?
                    Thank you Chuck Pridgen , N4UED
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 3, 2012
                      Have a look at the wiki for mic-e explanation. While there have a look
                      at how to disable mic-e alerts.

                      Can't give you direct links from the Blackberry.

                      It's always good to have a look at the wiki for information, or read
                      the archives as most questions have been answered dozens of times
                      already.

                      On 11/3/12, chuckn4ued <n4ued@...> wrote:
                      > I keep seeing MIC-E transmit status . What does that mean and how can I set
                      > APRSISCE so the MIC-E transmit status will not show up ?
                      > Thank you Chuck Pridgen , N4UED

                      Sent from my mobile device

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 3, 2012

                        Configure/Mic-e Notifications/Suppress Notifications to turn them off.

                        I would however just untick the ones you don’t want to see but leave emergency ticked, you never know you might want someone to respond to one you send at some point

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 3, 2012
                          > Configure >Mic-E Notification
                          Above the line (supress), a check means the you won't receive messages
                             > Supress Notification (supresses all but Emergency)
                             > Supress EMERGENCY too
                           Below line (not supressed or allowed), a check means the message goes through.

                          Robert Giuliano
                          KB8RCO