Re: [aprsisce] Line styles

  • Bob Burns W9RXR
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 26, 2011
      I wrote this up earlier today, but had trouble sending it.

      Let's say I'm in charge of APRS for a 50-mile bicycle event. I'd have
      the route of the bike ride laid out on the map as a line object in,
      let's say, yellow. We have an APRS-equipped mobile tracking the lead
      rider (green) and another APRS-er tracking the last rider (blue). And
      we have three APRS-equipped SAGs out on course that are leaving red
      tracks on my map.

      I know the callsigns of all these stations because I assigned
      tactical calls to them before the event. But, what if one of my SAGs
      drops out at the last minute forcing me to put another SAG on course?
      Maybe that back-up SAG doesn't have a tactical callsign assigned or
      can't get it programmed in their tracker. No problem as I'd just
      click on their icon and set the track color to red.

      Maybe the route crosses over itself a few times and the tracks get
      confusing. No problem, I just clear the offending tracks and any new
      positions start generating a track using the same color I was using before.

      Then, one of the rest stops runs out of supplies, so the event
      coordinator says to send one of the SAGs to a supply cache that's off
      my map. I see that SAG's track go off my map and then a few minutes
      later, it comes back on my map with the same color I had assigned to it before.

      Having these tracks separated by color would help me visualize how
      the event is progressing and be a big help in explaining what's going
      on to the non-ham event coordinator who's looking over my shoulder.

      Hope that helps explain how I might use different color tracks.

      Bob...