KAM XL

  • Wayne W. Santos
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 25, 2011
      I got the KAM XL to receive APRS data on 144.39 using APRSIS software.

      Here is the step by step on how I did it:

      First I setup a KAM XL port per Lynn's instructions:

      1) Configure a new KISS type port and give the name KAM XL

      3) Set the port configuration Com1, baud rate 19200 with the latest KAM XL firmware. Parity None, 8 data and 1 Stop bit

      2) After accepting the port configuration, make sure Enables / Logging /
      KAMXL is checked.

      3) Also make sure Enables / Logging / File Enabled is
      checked.

      Note: I did not edit the APRIS32.XML file. I wanted to see if it would work without the edit first. Much to my surprize it did!

      3. Close program.

      4. Using a dumb terminal program:

      A. Command: MYDROP 0/0
      B. Command: INTFACE KISS
      C. Command: RESET
      D. Also cycle off,on the KAM XL

      5. Restart APRSIS software.

      Packets received 100%

      Now my only problem is that this set up is on a computer that does not access the internet so I don't have the map tiles.

      I set my grid square by scrolling until I got to FN43ih and set "ME" to that location.

      Someone let me know if they see my station (N1CKM-15) and where it is located.

      Is there a way to get the map tiles and load them to a computer offline?

      Thanks for everyone's help and I sure hope this has added to the body of knowledge.

      Wayne
      N1CKM
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 25, 2011
        You can look at your station location using a web service like aprs.fi
        and use successive approximation to get your station at the correct
        location.

        You can start a copy of APRSISCE/32 on a computer with internet
        access, grab the desired tiles, and then copy them to the non-internet
        connected computer using sneakernet.

        On 9/25/11, Wayne W. Santos <pelotonwws@...> wrote:
        > I got the KAM XL to receive APRS data on 144.39 using APRSIS software.
        >
        > Here is the step by step on how I did it:
        >
        > First I setup a KAM XL port per Lynn's instructions:
        >
        > 1) Configure a new KISS type port and give the name KAM XL
        >
        > 3) Set the port configuration Com1, baud rate 19200 with the latest KAM XL
        > firmware. Parity None, 8 data and 1 Stop bit
        >
        > 2) After accepting the port configuration, make sure Enables / Logging /
        > KAMXL is checked.
        >
        > 3) Also make sure Enables / Logging / File Enabled is
        > checked.
        >
        > Note: I did not edit the APRIS32.XML file. I wanted to see if it would work
        > without the edit first. Much to my surprize it did!
        >
        > 3. Close program.
        >
        > 4. Using a dumb terminal program:
        >
        > A. Command: MYDROP 0/0
        > B. Command: INTFACE KISS
        > C. Command: RESET
        > D. Also cycle off,on the KAM XL
        >
        > 5. Restart APRSIS software.
        >
        > Packets received 100%
        >
        > Now my only problem is that this set up is on a computer that does not
        > access the internet so I don't have the map tiles.
        >
        > I set my grid square by scrolling until I got to FN43ih and set "ME" to that
        > location.
        >
        > Someone let me know if they see my station (N1CKM-15) and where it is
        > located.
        >
        > Is there a way to get the map tiles and load them to a computer offline?
        >
        > Thanks for everyone's help and I sure hope this has added to the body of
        > knowledge.
        >
        > Wayne
        > N1CKM

      • Bob Harris
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 27, 2011
          Using the suggested setting for the KPC-3 from the Argent manual, I put the T2-301 into KISS mode (AMODE KISS) and put no-ops in the Open Cmds and Close Cmds for port OT-2 in the xml file. When I enable tracing I get the following type of messages:

          OT-2:2011-09-27T22:53:36.146 KISS:Missing Leading C0[63]:<0D 0A>WB1BRE-9>T3TQ0U,W1FN-1*,K1DF-7*,WB1BRE*,UV3-1:`d,:n>>>/"6'}<0D 0A>

          What am I doing wrong and/or what do I need to change? My desired end result is to have aprsisce perform as a Igate (RF to IS only) while the T2-301 acts as a digipeater.
          --

          Bob Harris (K9UDX)
          Bath, NH

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 28, 2011
              Thanks, Lynn. That was the problem (I had forgotten to cycle the power after using otwincfg to put the unit into KISS mode).

              Now I have the next problem. With the T2-301 now in KISS mode, APRSISCE no longer seems to be receiving packets from the T2-301. With tracing packets enabled, the only ones that show up are ones from APRS-IS. Nothing appears in the OT-2 (my name for the KISS port) log after the initialization stuff.

              If I monitor the T2-301 with Tera Term Pro, I see what I assume to be received packets (unreadable characters).

              (On a side note, if I use <Open/CloseCmd> to put the T2-301 into and out of KISS mode, the closing does not work. Looking at the log, it appears the program is closing the port before it sends the ^192^255^192 string).

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 28, 2011
                  Lynn,

                  I was also testing the <Open/CloseCmd>s to see if I could get the T2-301 into and out of KISS mode via APRSISCE. The <OpenCmd> (AMODE KISS) worked, but the <CloseCmd> (^192^255^192) doesn't take it out of KISS more although the Argent manual reads as if it should.

                  I should have been more patient before reporting about not receiving packets. It just took a half hour for someone (or another digi) close enough to show up!

                  On 9/28/2011 11:22 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

[...]

                • Bob Burns W9RXR
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 28, 2011
                    Quoting Bob Harris <knineudx@...>:

                    > I was also testing the <Open/CloseCmd>s to see if I could get the
                    > T2-301 into and out of KISS mode via APRSISCE. The <OpenCmd> (AMODE
                    > KISS) worked, but the <CloseCmd> (^192^255^192) doesn't take it out
                    > of KISS more although the Argent manual reads as if it should.

                    Bob, if you haven't already, take a look at the Tracker2 wiki at:

                    http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/UI-View_Setup

                    Seems like when I was using UI-View with a T2-135 that the suggested
                    commands were taking it out of KISS mode.

                    Bob...