Re: [aprsisce] Re: Can't Get APRSIS32 Igate To Work

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 25 9:47 AM
      On 9/25/2011 10:20 AM, n6hal wrote:
      > Although it's working now, you asked where else I was looking to determine the information was not making it to the 'net. Besides aprs.fi, I was checking openaprs.net.

      Yes, my point to asking that question was as a spring-board to
      re-iterating that with APRS-IS dupe filtering, looking anywhere on the
      APRS-IS for evidence of a particular IGate delivering a particular
      station's packets is problematic. Only the FIRST IGate to gate a packet
      to the APRS-IS will show in the q-Construct through all (well, most) of
      APRS-IS. Due to interserver connections, different APRS-IS servers
      and/or databases (like aprs.fi, findu.com, and openaprs.net) may show
      different IGates for a single packet. It all depends on which IGate was
      connected how when the packet was heard.

      So, unless you KNOW that only a single IGate was capable of hearing a
      given station, and that no digipeaters pass that packet elsewhere, it's
      dangerous to assume that because that IGate didn't show on the packet as
      recorded in the APRS-IS database sites means that the IGate isn't
      working. It just means that another IGate was quicker at the delivery
      or was better connected to the APRS-IS.

      PS. That said, I've actually designed the RF to IS code path within
      APRSISCE/32 to be as short as possible to avoid unnecessarily delayed
      delivery of packets to the APRS-IS network.