2009/12/03 - New Release!

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
      Here's what's new in the APRSISCE6P091203.zip (In the Files section)

      1) Map display dragging! You can now drag the map anywhere you want in
      addition to still centering on (and following) a specific station. The
      filter is automatically adjusted to include the configured range around
      the map center (r/lat/lon/range) in addition to the range around the
      home (GPS on Windows Mobile) location (m/range). If you are centered on
      a station, the range around that station is added to the filter
      (f/call/range).

      2) Save/Restore map center position if not tracking self.

      3) Mouse wheels do zoom on the Win32 platform (unless someone has a
      wheel mouse on Windows Mobile?).

      4) Support loading and displaying GPX and LOC (untested) files from
      GeoCaching.com. Windows Mobile displays only the short description
      while Win32 provides the full description. Use View/Geocaches to toggle
      on and off. To load multiple files, load one, toggle it off, load
      another. Repeat as necessary (and memory allows).

      5) Station address lookup from GeoNames.org - Access from the station
      popup menu.

      6) OSM Tiles are now purged after an xml-configurable RetainDays
      (defaults to 7). Double-clicking the circle tells you how many tiles
      are cached and how much space they occupy, but only after the client has
      been running a while.

      7) On the Win32 platform, tiles are marked as referenced when accessed.
      This is too slow on the Windows Mobile platform, so even frequently used
      tiles will be deleted in 7 days until I figure out a better way to do it.

      8) Improved OSM Tile Fetcher read timing to display freshly fetched
      tiles faster.

      9) Support decaying time retransmission of messages until an ack is
      received or it times out. First retry is in 31 seconds with 15 seconds
      added for each retry up to 6 transmissions.
      /* Retries Seconds */
      /* 0 31 */
      /* 1 46 */
      /* 2 61 */
      /* 3 76 */
      /* 4 91 */
      /* 5 106 */
      /* Total 411=6.85 minutes */

      10) Message acks must come from the addressed station. The iPhone IBCNU
      app acknowledges ANY subsequent messages sent by a station that
      previously sent to the IBCNU station. APRSISCE now informs you that
      some other station "pirated" a subsequent ack.

      11) Revamp how packets are tested for reasonableness to take into
      account calculated speed and duplications. "Invalid" packets are
      remembered, but not drawn with connected lines as it is unlikely that
      the station actually moved that way.

      12) View/Invalids similar to view duplicates to only see stations with
      Invalid (too quick/too fast) track points.

      13) Track point validity can be one of the following displayed in the
      indicated colors on the map (sometimes without connecting lines). The
      background of the scrolling station display will also display in this
      color for non-OK packets.
      OK - Normal black dot
      (Purple) Duplicate - Duplicate position received within 10 minutes
      (Pink) Quick - Less than 1 second between packets
      (Red) Fast - Calculated speed too fast
      (Aqua) Restart - "Jumped"

      14) Calculate (and display in station popup) both Instantaneous
      (packet-to-packet) speed and rolling (4 sample) average. Track points
      will not be connected (and will be drawing in ???) if they move "too
      fast". Speed is learned, so even jet airplanes might only skip 2 or 3
      packets. Satellites are even displayed after a short "acceleration" period.

      15) Parse Lat/Lon extended digits (!DAO!). Some station popups will
      show additional minute decimal places. Due to space constrains, a full
      4 digit precision station will show 3 digits and a + rather than the 4
      digits displayed in the Win32 version. "My" coordinates are displayed
      in high resolution, although !DAO! is not yet transmitted.

      16) Ignore $GPRMC packets without valid fix flag

      17) Changed a few prompts on the configuration dialog.

      18) Require callsign to be set when a new configuration file is created.

      19) Prompt for location of OSM Tile cache when a new configuration file
      is created.

      20) In Win32, record screen center as "home" coordinates the first time
      the program is exited after a new configuration file is created. This
      is used for beaconing a fixed position from Win32 at the Genius
      Beaconing(r) Max Time rate (default 30 minutes) if both GPS and Tracking
      are enabled. It can be changed by editing the XML configuration file.

      21) Default initial Win32 screen to 640x480 in a system-determined
      position. Actual size and location are recorded and restored when
      program is restarted.

      22) Fixed a nasty notification lockup bug if the last received message
      is dismissed from the notification window with previously received
      messages pending. I actually restructured a bunch of memory buffers in
      a misguided thought that large local variables (TCHAR[256] for those
      programmers out there) were at the root of this issue, but it turned out
      much simpler than that. Oh well!

      To Dos: (Still Incomplete and getting LONGER instead of SHORTER!)

      Support checking revision of tiles when loading, via OpenStreetMap.org's
      /status URL.
      Find a way to mark tiles referenced on Windows Mobile without slowing
      down map loading (queue references to fetcher thread?).
      Use HTTP/1.1 in OSM Tile Fetcher to improve throughput (multiple tile
      fetches on a single connection).
      Implement a compass direction/distance screen for homing in on GeoCaches.
      NMEA serial (BlueTooth) GPS support, primarily for Win32, but may also
      work on Windows Mobile.
      KISS TNC support via serial (BlueTooth) ports for both Win32 and Windows
      Mobile.
      Remember and provide for re-display of received messages.
      If target station's platform is known, format message sending screen
      accordingly.
      Optionally transmit either 1 or 2 !DAO! digits.
      Parse and display Frequency object information
      Support the -180/180 latitude wrap with closest display tile
      Find a better icon scaling algorithm based on screen size & scale
      Allow non-initial (re)configuration of location for OSMTiles cache (w/o
      editing XML)
      Allow configuration of date/time display & GMT vs local (Dave N8PU)
      Allow configurable removal of some screen elements (Satellites, John N8JJ)
      Record/Recall last DNS/IP for OSM/APRS-IS (in config file, for
      connecting without DNS)
      Asynchronous TCP/IP connections & reading (solves hangs)
      Timeout on OSM Tile fetcher (solves stalls)
      Implement whatever results from the Zoom +/- Poll

      Win32 client only for the following:
      Simultaneously track multiple targets in separate circles

      Detect and highlight source of delayed duplications
      Additional View/Filter options based on symbol types

      Feed-through APRS-IS with local filters (for multiple instances of Win32
      version with a single full feed to APRS-IS).
    • David Shrum
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
        Lynn,
        I suspect I just missed it somewhere but how do I make the map track a
        specific station, not mine since I don't have an 'always on' Internet
        connection. Do I put that call in the 'add filter' location then "OK" it?

        Thanks,
        Dave N8PU

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
          Dave,

          First, both the Windows Mobile and the Win32 clients expect an "always
          on" connection. They are first and foremost an APRS-IS (not RF) client
          and cannot get data without the Internet. With that said...

          If you want to always receive a particular station's packets when you
          are connected and regardless of where it goes, you can add it as a buddy
          or a friend filter. The difference is whether you receive just that
          station, or the station and other stations within a specified radius of
          that station. The two filters would be added to the (blank delimited)
          Add Filter field of the configuration dialog.

          As you can see below, the Budlist supports both wildcards and multiple
          calls in a single instance while the friend filter needs to specify the
          full call-ssid of the moving station along with a range in kilometers
          from that station's most recently beaconed position. You can even put a
          b/ filter for the call-* (all -ssids) along with an f/call-ssid/range
          filter for the particular -ssid you're most interested in. That way you
          receive any packets from the station before any position beacons have
          been received.

          Finally, the client automatically adds an f/call-ssid/range filter using
          the configured range whenever you click on the station and select
          "Center" from the pop-up menu. The map will move to the center and will
          automatically move to the most recently received position of that
          station. This is very handy for just watching a truck go by on the
          local interstate, for instance, whereas configuring explicit b/ or f/
          filters is good for when your son and daughter head out of state on a
          road trip!

          The centered station is not remembered when the client is restarted, but
          the filter settings are, although you'd still have to find the station
          and re-initiate the Center action to get the map to track it after
          restarting.

          From http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/JAVaprsFilters.htm:

          #3 b/ Budlist filter

          The budlist filter will pass traffic based on exact match of the sender's
          call or call starts with a specific pattern (from V 1.4). Also the SSID
          is part
          of the exact match.

          Syntax: b/call1/p1*/call3/p2*...

          Where: b = budlist command
          call# = The prefix (starting) pattern
          p# = The prefix (starting) pattern

          Samples:

          *b/SM5NRK * This will pass all traffic from SM5NRK
          without any SSID
          *b/SM5NRK-5/SK5UM * This will pass all traffic from SM5NRK-5
          and from SK5UM
          *b/K** This will pass all traffic from stations
          starting with K
          *b/SM5NRK/F* * This will pass all traffic from SM5NRK and
          all stations starting with F

          #11 f/ Friend Range filter

          The friend filter works the same as My range filter, except you define which
          call-ssid should be used (see more above). Up to 9 friend filters can be
          defined.
          This is a moving filter so it follows the call-ssid last known position.

          Note: This will not work until a valid position has been sent from the
          call-ssid defined.

          Syntax: f/call/dist

          Where: f = friend range command
          call = call to be used as center of the range
          dist = distance in kilometers from lat/lon.

          Samples:
          *f/SM5NRK/500* This will pass all traffic within 500 km from
          SM5NRK's last position.

          David Shrum wrote:
          > Lynn,
          > I suspect I just missed it somewhere but how do I make the map track a
          > specific station, not mine since I don't have an 'always on' Internet
          > connection. Do I put that call in the 'add filter' location then "OK" it?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Dave N8PU

        • David Shrum
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 13, 2009
            Lynn,
            I guess I'm too dumb to figure out how to make it track just one station,
            under configure - add filter I added (my sons call) b/W8TVI-12 and nothing,
            then changed it to f/W8TVI-12 and still nothing. I suspect I'm missing at
            least one if not more steps but I can't get it to track him like I can using
            the Google maps under http://aprs.fi/?call=(call).

            Any ideas what I might be doing wrong, please keep your answer K I S S (keep
            it simple for stupid).

            Dave N8PU

            #11 f/ Friend Range filter

            David Shrum wrote:
            > Lynn,
            > I suspect I just missed it somewhere but how do I make the map track a
            > specific station, not mine since I don't have an 'always on' Internet
            > connection. Do I put that call in the 'add filter' location then "OK" it?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Dave N8PU

            14:43:00

            14:47:00
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 13, 2009
              Dave,

              Here's the filter text from one of my APRSIS32 clients (works on
              APRSISCE as well):

              r/27.99673/-80.659072/1 b/N4GVA-2 b/AI4RI-2 u/APWW*/APWM*

              That says only give me 1 (yes, ONE) kilometer around my home
              coordinates, but give me ALL of N4GVA-2 and AI4RI-2 packets. It also
              tracks all of the APRSISCE and APRSIS32 clients (the u/ filter).

              You also need to connect to an APRS-IS server's filter port that doesn't
              previously filter out who you're trying to watch. I connect mine to
              port 14580 of rotate.aprs2.net. You set this up by manually editing the
              .XML file while the client is NOT running. Otherwise, your changes will
              get overwritten when you exit the client.

              If that doesn't work, we'll try something more extensive.

              Oh, and when you start getting packets for him, the map will not
              automatically move to where he is. You have to click on his callsign in
              the scrolling station list and select "Center" from the popup menu.

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

              PS. Just for the record, here's the filter from my APRSISCE client
              (KJ4ERJ-12):

              b/N4GVA* b/KJ4ERJ* b/KJ4DXK* b/KJ4OVQ* s/@/@ u/APWW*/APWM* -b/WINLINK

              N4GVA is an airplane tracker from Daytona
              KJ4ERJ is of course all of my clients and trackers
              KJ4DXK is my son
              KJ4OVQ is my wife

              Yes, I keep it all in the family!