Re: [aprsisce] Re: Force map refresh

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
      As long as their directory structure is the same, just point APRSIS32 to
      the same directory. Edit the XML file
      (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/editing-xml-configuration) and set the
      <OSM.Path> to point to the directory containing the 00\0\0.png tree.

      Alternatively, you can simply disable tile fetching (Enables / OSM Fetch
      Enabled), rename the directory that is currently being used by APRSIS32,
      and re-enable tile fetching. The client should prompt you for the
      current location of the tiles and you can browse around for where the
      other tree exists.

      Due to a bug in all recently released versions of the client, you may
      have to create the 00\0 directory under the desired directory or the
      client won't think it's allowed to put stuff there.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

      PS. You might also want to read
      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/map-prefetch if you haven't already.

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
        Fred Hillhouse wrote:
        > Would a Force Fetch only work on the immediate map area? Or across the
        > board for all tiles previously downloaded.
        >
        > The Force Fetch on the immediate area would force the user to revisit
        > every area that tiles have been downloaded from and press a button.

        It would work only on the area and zoom levels that would be fetched
        today by PreFetch. Yes, that would force panning around to the other areas.

        > The Force All on every area would take a considerable amount of
        > bandwidth to grab each tile again. This isn't bad from a user
        > perspective as it only needs one button press but I have 2.1GB of
        > tiles (topo).

        Not a good idea, I agree.

        > The best option would be to look at each tile from time to time
        > (scheduled during an off-time perhaps) and refresh as needed. I
        > suspect that most tiles are not updated so there would be no reason to
        > force a replacement using either of the schemes above. And to the
        > user, they just need to setup up a refresh schedule and leave a
        > PC/laptop on at the appointed time for an automatic refresh. Yep, I
        > like this one!

        This is what the ToDo list has on it. There's a status query that I can
        do rather than fetching the actual tile as well. However, I haven't yet
        figured out a reliable place to store the timestamp (or which timestamp
        to trust) on WinMo to compare against the revision from OSM.

        > I don't yet understand the Forget idea so I can't comment on it. I
        > already described what I thought was the best option anyway. ;)

        Forget would be like a Prefetch in the areas covered, but would simply
        delete any tiles that exist in the area. Then the next time you drive
        or drag through an area, only the required tiles would be fetched. This
        would work nicely for those of us that are online all the time, but not
        so good for current PreFetch users who move around with the fetcher
        turned off. I suggested it because it seems that James is in the former
        category (online) and it's an easy stop-gap that I could put together
        quickly. And quickly is good as my available time is approaching a
        minimum until after May 9....

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

        PS. And I still have this loaner D710 that I need to return come Monday
        or so, so I need to make time to actually work on supporting it better
        while it's here!

        > Best regards,
        > Fred

      • gsdatplace
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
          Thanks for the info Lynn, I had looked through the xml config file hoping to fins a reference to change, not sure how I missed that line there, changed the reference (had to create the 00\0 directory) and it fires up and runs perfectly.
          I'm starting to take a liking to your program, like the TCP/IP ports config for NMEA and kiss cant wait to get home and try it. I'm running a Wireless router setup thats passing the attached GPS & radio data to my pc's via TCP/IP, passing that all back to applications that only take com ports, well I'm running out of com ports lol.
          Just wish I found it sooner, only a couple of weeks left before "The Big Jump" I'll have to see how much of my /ui-view/ui-point/ui-route setup I can replace with it lol.
          One last question (yes I've been searching and reading the wiki lol) before I set up and try it, if APRSIS32 is hooked to a D710/kpc3 with a attached GPS, can you or do you need configure the KISS and GPS to use the same physical port? Or will it see the D710/kpc3 passing the gps data and pick up on it?

          Garrett
          VE6RKY

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
            > > The best option would be to look at each tile from time to time
            > > (scheduled during an off-time perhaps) and refresh as needed. I
            > > suspect that most tiles are not updated so there would be no
            reason to
            > > force a replacement using either of the schemes above.
            And to the
            > > user, they just need to setup up a refresh schedule and
            leave a
            > > PC/laptop on at the appointed time for an automatic
            refresh. Yep, I
            > > like this one!
            >
            > This is what the
            ToDo list has on it. There's a status query that I can
            > do rather than
            fetching the actual tile as well. However, I haven't yet
            > figured out a
            reliable place to store the timestamp (or which timestamp
            > to trust) on
            WinMo to compare against the revision from OSM.

            If I was part of the WinMo group, I would probably let purge run anyway since I wouldn't want to use all my memory on maps. But since I am not in that group, I really can't know how I would really use it.

            If a user has several map sets, well, each tile needs a revision timestamp.

            I have held off getting too more tiles in the hopes that a plan of tile queuing, refreshing and map set select is done. But, at some point soon I will be getting out and about the region more and will need/want tiles.

            > > I don't yet
            understand the Forget idea so I can't comment on it. I
            > > already
            described what I thought was the best option anyway. ;)

            > Forget
            would be like a Prefetch in the areas covered, but would simply
            > delete
            any tiles that exist in the area. Then the next time you drive
            > or drag
            through an area, only the required tiles would be fetched. This
            > would
            work nicely for those of us that are online all the time, but not
            > so
            good for current PreFetch users who move around with the fetcher
            > turned
            off. I suggested it because it seems that James is in the former

            category (online) and it's an easy stop-gap that I could put together

            quickly. And quickly is good as my available time is approaching a

            minimum until after May 9....

            Forget and refetch could work until a better mousetrap is done. It will cause a bandwidth hit.

            > PS. And I still have this loaner D710 that I need
            to return come Monday
            > or so, so I need to make time to actually work on
            supporting it better
            > while it's here!

            Get 'er done! :)

            Best regards,
            Fred
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
              gsdatplace wrote:
              > Thanks for the info Lynn, I had looked through the xml config file hoping to fins a reference to change, not sure how I missed that line there, changed the reference (had to create the 00\0 directory) and it fires up and runs perfectly.

              This will hopefully be fixed before the next general release.

              > I'm starting to take a liking to your program, like the TCP/IP ports config for NMEA and kiss cant wait to get home and try it. I'm running a Wireless router setup thats passing the attached GPS & radio data to my pc's via TCP/IP, passing that all back to applications that only take com ports, well I'm running out of com ports lol.

              I do the same. I actually have a dedicated program that opens a comm
              port, monitors it for KISS protocol for local display, and serves it out
              as a TCP port for any and all (local) programs to connect to "share" my
              TT4. TCP/IP-based KISS sharing without the overhead of AGWPE. I've got
              another that does the same thing for an NMEA GPS which, in my case, is a
              Bluetooth GPS. Come to realize it, my TT4 is also actually connected
              over a Bluetooth to serial port.

              > Just wish I found it sooner, only a couple of weeks left before "The Big Jump" I'll have to see how much of my /ui-view/ui-point/ui-route setup I can replace with it lol.

              If there's anything that are using in that combination that I don't do
              yet, let me know. I'll either do it, add it to the ToDo list, or bump
              the priority of an existing ToDo list item. BTW, the ToDo list is at
              the bottom of the most recent release notes in the Files section of the
              APRSISCE Yahoo group.

              > One last question (yes I've been searching and reading the wiki lol) before I set up and try it, if APRSIS32 is hooked to a D710/kpc3 with a attached GPS, can you or do you need configure the KISS and GPS to use the same physical port? Or will it see the D710/kpc3 passing the gps data and pick up on it?

              I'm REALLY glad you asked that! I have a loaner D710 here (compliments
              of Steve KB1TCE) just so I can support that sort of thing. If I can't
              figure out how to get it into that mode, can you help me out over the
              weekend? Or if you can, just e-mail me (KJ4ERJ@...) the
              instructions of how to navigate the 710 controls to get it into that
              mode? I've got an NMEA GPS to feed it, I just need to get it doing that
              double-duty for implementation and testing.

              Right now APRSISCE/32 doesn't share at all. If you tell it the same
              port for both, one will work and the other will go to a retry condition.

              If you're not already running the Development version, if you configure
              to do that, you can possibly assist with testing the new D710 support
              before general release. Just set <Update.Development> to 1 and click
              About after the restart.

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 25, 2010
                Okay, almost back to the real world... Finished up at Schaumburg just
                in time to get home and launch the balloon with the Universtiy of
                Alberta, then off to a Lobster Roast/birthday party, all while
                suffering through with a cold. GUH!

                So... Lynn, you've got two ends of the spectrum on your hands here...
                There are the ones running on a Windows mobile device with limited
                memory, and internet connectivity. Obviously the platform you're
                developing for, and the program is geared towards that. The concept of
                getting tiles, and keeping them in memory for the current area to use
                for display works great. The tiles expire after a while, freeing up
                memory for tiles of more importance (here/now, as opposed to
                there/then).

                On the other extreme are those who are running on a laptop or other
                machine with lots of memory (drive space), but limited internet access
                (read only when tethered). The concept here is to slurp up as much map
                information as is desired, and then drag it along where ever you go,
                never purging the tiles.

                The problem with the second situation is that since the tiles never
                expire, you are stuck with tiles that reflect the state of the map at
                the time of download.Now, having an older maptile is better than no
                maptile, but having the ability to update the maptile when desired is
                better than not being able to update the maptile.

                So here's the situation. I am sitting in class at Motorola not
                understanding a thing the instructor is saying, so I fire up my
                laptop, and start playing with APRSISCE/32 to see who's around the
                area. The tile fetcher grabs a bunch of tiles for the area, and viola,
                I have a map of the area. Hey, the Schaumburg Campus sucks! The road
                my hotel is located on isn't right either!

                So, fire up OSM, and after a couple hours of playing, I have a pretty
                decent representation of the Schaumburg Campus, and American Lane now
                looks like it should! Well, it looks like it should on OSM, but my
                downloaded tiles in APRSISCE/32 still have the ugly representation.

                What to do? I could simply delete the whole OSM map directory, but
                then I have to go back and grab tiles for everywhere that I want all
                over again. Most of those tiles haven't changed though, and I would be
                placing a huge burden on the OSM tile server unnecessarily. All I want
                are a few tiles covering a couple dozen square miles.

                My solution was to find the tile name in OSM, and then delete the
                appropriate sub-directory on my hard drive. I could have found every
                tile by name and deleted each one, but that ends up with a lot of
                tiles, so I used brute force, and deleted the directory containing all
                nearby tiles. I had to do this for each zoom level as well. It was
                tedious and time consuming, and I missed a few tiles when the
                directory boundary intersected my viewing area.

                All I am thinking about doing, is to have the tile prefetch routine
                simply ignore the tiles that exist on the local machine, and grab them
                from the server.

                I would think the logic in the programming would go something like this.

                Routine: Display tile x/y/z
                if
                tile exists on hard drive, goto display
                else
                download tile x/y/z
                save tile to hard drive
                goto display
                endif

                To force a refresh, I would define a routine that didn't have the if
                statement, and simply went out and grabbed the tiles.

                It's brute force, but would get the job done. It would cause some
                extra load on the OSM server by downloading tiles that may not have
                changed, but it would require the user to force a refresh, and not be
                an automatic routine that grabbed every tile every time a display was
                updated.

                So, in the case of my map editing in Schaumburg, after I finished
                editing, I would simply come back to APRSISCE/32 and hit a key
                (CTRL-F5) to force a refresh. The yellow circle would do it's dance,
                and new tiles would be fetched from the OSM server for the area. If I
                zoom in/out and find old tiles at a higher/lower zoom level, CTRL-F5
                again to update those as well.

                If the user is offline, no new tiles are fetched, and the old ones are
                still available for display. If you delete, and then move around to
                re-fetch, but are offline, the user ends up with a blank screen.

                BTW, CTRL-F5 is just an example... a shortcut for a browser refresh.
                Any key could be used, or a menu item...

                Howzat?