Force map refresh

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
      I still need to be able to force the client to update the maps... I
      got to the Motorola Schaumburg Campus, and found the maps to be poor.
      I upgraded the maps to reflect the real world, and then had to find
      out which tiles were associated with the map, and manually delete
      them.

      Being able to force a refresh would be much nicer.

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
        Actually, I've got an item on my ToDo list to automatically send update
        checks to the OSM server in the background to detect changes and
        re-fetch them.

        However, just adding an option to "Prefetch" to "Force Fetch" would
        solve your need, right?

        Or a new option for "Forget" that would remove the prefetch area
        allowing just panning around to pick up the new pieces or another
        Prefetch if that's where the original population came from. I like this
        option better as it allows a non-prefetched, but learned area to be
        easily cleared for re-fetching on an as-needed basis. It's also easier
        for me to do!

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32.

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
          Hi Lynn,

          Would a Force Fetch only work on the immediate map area? Or across the board for all tiles previously downloaded.

          The Force Fetch on the immediate area would force the user to revisit every area that tiles have been downloaded from and press a button.

          The Force All on every area would take a considerable amount of bandwidth to grab each tile again. This isn't bad from a user perspective as it only needs one button press but I have 2.1GB of tiles (topo).

          The best option would be to look at each tile from time to time (scheduled during an off-time perhaps) and refresh as needed. I suspect that most tiles are not updated so there would be no reason to force a replacement using either of the schemes above. And to the user, they just need to setup up a refresh schedule and leave a PC/laptop on at the appointed time for an automatic refresh. Yep, I like this one!

          I don't yet understand the Forget idea so I can't comment on it. I already described what I thought was the best option anyway. ;)

          Best regards,
          Fred

          James Ewen wrote:
          > I still need to be able to force the client to update the maps... I
          > got to the Motorola Schaumburg Campus, and found the maps to be poor.
          > I upgraded the maps to reflect the real world, and then had to find
          > out which tiles were associated with the map, and manually delete
          > them.
          >
          > Being able to force a refresh would be much nicer.
          >
          > James
          > VE6SRV

        • gsdatplace
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
            I'll have to blame James for turning my onto this program... ;)
            Question, with regards to the maps, what about a "preferences" option as to the location of the openstreetmaps files? I've got a large database of cached maps openstreetmaps tiles now with this software which is duplicating the huge cache I have for use with Radio Mobile and Marble...
            It would be nice to be able the use the same cache folder for aprsis32 as I do with them.

            Garrett
            VE6RKY

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
              As long as their directory structure is the same, just point APRSIS32 to
              the same directory. Edit the XML file
              (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/editing-xml-configuration) and set the
              <OSM.Path> to point to the directory containing the 00\0\0.png tree.

              Alternatively, you can simply disable tile fetching (Enables / OSM Fetch
              Enabled), rename the directory that is currently being used by APRSIS32,
              and re-enable tile fetching. The client should prompt you for the
              current location of the tiles and you can browse around for where the
              other tree exists.

              Due to a bug in all recently released versions of the client, you may
              have to create the 00\0 directory under the desired directory or the
              client won't think it's allowed to put stuff there.

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

              PS. You might also want to read
              http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/map-prefetch if you haven't already.

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
                Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                > Would a Force Fetch only work on the immediate map area? Or across the
                > board for all tiles previously downloaded.
                >
                > The Force Fetch on the immediate area would force the user to revisit
                > every area that tiles have been downloaded from and press a button.

                It would work only on the area and zoom levels that would be fetched
                today by PreFetch. Yes, that would force panning around to the other areas.

                > The Force All on every area would take a considerable amount of
                > bandwidth to grab each tile again. This isn't bad from a user
                > perspective as it only needs one button press but I have 2.1GB of
                > tiles (topo).

                Not a good idea, I agree.

                > The best option would be to look at each tile from time to time
                > (scheduled during an off-time perhaps) and refresh as needed. I
                > suspect that most tiles are not updated so there would be no reason to
                > force a replacement using either of the schemes above. And to the
                > user, they just need to setup up a refresh schedule and leave a
                > PC/laptop on at the appointed time for an automatic refresh. Yep, I
                > like this one!

                This is what the ToDo list has on it. There's a status query that I can
                do rather than fetching the actual tile as well. However, I haven't yet
                figured out a reliable place to store the timestamp (or which timestamp
                to trust) on WinMo to compare against the revision from OSM.

                > I don't yet understand the Forget idea so I can't comment on it. I
                > already described what I thought was the best option anyway. ;)

                Forget would be like a Prefetch in the areas covered, but would simply
                delete any tiles that exist in the area. Then the next time you drive
                or drag through an area, only the required tiles would be fetched. This
                would work nicely for those of us that are online all the time, but not
                so good for current PreFetch users who move around with the fetcher
                turned off. I suggested it because it seems that James is in the former
                category (online) and it's an easy stop-gap that I could put together
                quickly. And quickly is good as my available time is approaching a
                minimum until after May 9....

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                PS. And I still have this loaner D710 that I need to return come Monday
                or so, so I need to make time to actually work on supporting it better
                while it's here!

                > Best regards,
                > Fred

              • gsdatplace
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
                  Thanks for the info Lynn, I had looked through the xml config file hoping to fins a reference to change, not sure how I missed that line there, changed the reference (had to create the 00\0 directory) and it fires up and runs perfectly.
                  I'm starting to take a liking to your program, like the TCP/IP ports config for NMEA and kiss cant wait to get home and try it. I'm running a Wireless router setup thats passing the attached GPS & radio data to my pc's via TCP/IP, passing that all back to applications that only take com ports, well I'm running out of com ports lol.
                  Just wish I found it sooner, only a couple of weeks left before "The Big Jump" I'll have to see how much of my /ui-view/ui-point/ui-route setup I can replace with it lol.
                  One last question (yes I've been searching and reading the wiki lol) before I set up and try it, if APRSIS32 is hooked to a D710/kpc3 with a attached GPS, can you or do you need configure the KISS and GPS to use the same physical port? Or will it see the D710/kpc3 passing the gps data and pick up on it?

                  Garrett
                  VE6RKY

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
                    > > The best option would be to look at each tile from time to time
                    > > (scheduled during an off-time perhaps) and refresh as needed. I
                    > > suspect that most tiles are not updated so there would be no
                    reason to
                    > > force a replacement using either of the schemes above.
                    And to the
                    > > user, they just need to setup up a refresh schedule and
                    leave a
                    > > PC/laptop on at the appointed time for an automatic
                    refresh. Yep, I
                    > > like this one!
                    >
                    > This is what the
                    ToDo list has on it. There's a status query that I can
                    > do rather than
                    fetching the actual tile as well. However, I haven't yet
                    > figured out a
                    reliable place to store the timestamp (or which timestamp
                    > to trust) on
                    WinMo to compare against the revision from OSM.

                    If I was part of the WinMo group, I would probably let purge run anyway since I wouldn't want to use all my memory on maps. But since I am not in that group, I really can't know how I would really use it.

                    If a user has several map sets, well, each tile needs a revision timestamp.

                    I have held off getting too more tiles in the hopes that a plan of tile queuing, refreshing and map set select is done. But, at some point soon I will be getting out and about the region more and will need/want tiles.

                    > > I don't yet
                    understand the Forget idea so I can't comment on it. I
                    > > already
                    described what I thought was the best option anyway. ;)

                    > Forget
                    would be like a Prefetch in the areas covered, but would simply
                    > delete
                    any tiles that exist in the area. Then the next time you drive
                    > or drag
                    through an area, only the required tiles would be fetched. This
                    > would
                    work nicely for those of us that are online all the time, but not
                    > so
                    good for current PreFetch users who move around with the fetcher
                    > turned
                    off. I suggested it because it seems that James is in the former

                    category (online) and it's an easy stop-gap that I could put together

                    quickly. And quickly is good as my available time is approaching a

                    minimum until after May 9....

                    Forget and refetch could work until a better mousetrap is done. It will cause a bandwidth hit.

                    > PS. And I still have this loaner D710 that I need
                    to return come Monday
                    > or so, so I need to make time to actually work on
                    supporting it better
                    > while it's here!

                    Get 'er done! :)

                    Best regards,
                    Fred
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
                      gsdatplace wrote:
                      > Thanks for the info Lynn, I had looked through the xml config file hoping to fins a reference to change, not sure how I missed that line there, changed the reference (had to create the 00\0 directory) and it fires up and runs perfectly.

                      This will hopefully be fixed before the next general release.

                      > I'm starting to take a liking to your program, like the TCP/IP ports config for NMEA and kiss cant wait to get home and try it. I'm running a Wireless router setup thats passing the attached GPS & radio data to my pc's via TCP/IP, passing that all back to applications that only take com ports, well I'm running out of com ports lol.

                      I do the same. I actually have a dedicated program that opens a comm
                      port, monitors it for KISS protocol for local display, and serves it out
                      as a TCP port for any and all (local) programs to connect to "share" my
                      TT4. TCP/IP-based KISS sharing without the overhead of AGWPE. I've got
                      another that does the same thing for an NMEA GPS which, in my case, is a
                      Bluetooth GPS. Come to realize it, my TT4 is also actually connected
                      over a Bluetooth to serial port.

                      > Just wish I found it sooner, only a couple of weeks left before "The Big Jump" I'll have to see how much of my /ui-view/ui-point/ui-route setup I can replace with it lol.

                      If there's anything that are using in that combination that I don't do
                      yet, let me know. I'll either do it, add it to the ToDo list, or bump
                      the priority of an existing ToDo list item. BTW, the ToDo list is at
                      the bottom of the most recent release notes in the Files section of the
                      APRSISCE Yahoo group.

                      > One last question (yes I've been searching and reading the wiki lol) before I set up and try it, if APRSIS32 is hooked to a D710/kpc3 with a attached GPS, can you or do you need configure the KISS and GPS to use the same physical port? Or will it see the D710/kpc3 passing the gps data and pick up on it?

                      I'm REALLY glad you asked that! I have a loaner D710 here (compliments
                      of Steve KB1TCE) just so I can support that sort of thing. If I can't
                      figure out how to get it into that mode, can you help me out over the
                      weekend? Or if you can, just e-mail me (KJ4ERJ@...) the
                      instructions of how to navigate the 710 controls to get it into that
                      mode? I've got an NMEA GPS to feed it, I just need to get it doing that
                      double-duty for implementation and testing.

                      Right now APRSISCE/32 doesn't share at all. If you tell it the same
                      port for both, one will work and the other will go to a retry condition.

                      If you're not already running the Development version, if you configure
                      to do that, you can possibly assist with testing the new D710 support
                      before general release. Just set <Update.Development> to 1 and click
                      About after the restart.

                      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 25, 2010
                        Okay, almost back to the real world... Finished up at Schaumburg just
                        in time to get home and launch the balloon with the Universtiy of
                        Alberta, then off to a Lobster Roast/birthday party, all while
                        suffering through with a cold. GUH!

                        So... Lynn, you've got two ends of the spectrum on your hands here...
                        There are the ones running on a Windows mobile device with limited
                        memory, and internet connectivity. Obviously the platform you're
                        developing for, and the program is geared towards that. The concept of
                        getting tiles, and keeping them in memory for the current area to use
                        for display works great. The tiles expire after a while, freeing up
                        memory for tiles of more importance (here/now, as opposed to
                        there/then).

                        On the other extreme are those who are running on a laptop or other
                        machine with lots of memory (drive space), but limited internet access
                        (read only when tethered). The concept here is to slurp up as much map
                        information as is desired, and then drag it along where ever you go,
                        never purging the tiles.

                        The problem with the second situation is that since the tiles never
                        expire, you are stuck with tiles that reflect the state of the map at
                        the time of download.Now, having an older maptile is better than no
                        maptile, but having the ability to update the maptile when desired is
                        better than not being able to update the maptile.

                        So here's the situation. I am sitting in class at Motorola not
                        understanding a thing the instructor is saying, so I fire up my
                        laptop, and start playing with APRSISCE/32 to see who's around the
                        area. The tile fetcher grabs a bunch of tiles for the area, and viola,
                        I have a map of the area. Hey, the Schaumburg Campus sucks! The road
                        my hotel is located on isn't right either!

                        So, fire up OSM, and after a couple hours of playing, I have a pretty
                        decent representation of the Schaumburg Campus, and American Lane now
                        looks like it should! Well, it looks like it should on OSM, but my
                        downloaded tiles in APRSISCE/32 still have the ugly representation.

                        What to do? I could simply delete the whole OSM map directory, but
                        then I have to go back and grab tiles for everywhere that I want all
                        over again. Most of those tiles haven't changed though, and I would be
                        placing a huge burden on the OSM tile server unnecessarily. All I want
                        are a few tiles covering a couple dozen square miles.

                        My solution was to find the tile name in OSM, and then delete the
                        appropriate sub-directory on my hard drive. I could have found every
                        tile by name and deleted each one, but that ends up with a lot of
                        tiles, so I used brute force, and deleted the directory containing all
                        nearby tiles. I had to do this for each zoom level as well. It was
                        tedious and time consuming, and I missed a few tiles when the
                        directory boundary intersected my viewing area.

                        All I am thinking about doing, is to have the tile prefetch routine
                        simply ignore the tiles that exist on the local machine, and grab them
                        from the server.

                        I would think the logic in the programming would go something like this.

                        Routine: Display tile x/y/z
                        if
                        tile exists on hard drive, goto display
                        else
                        download tile x/y/z
                        save tile to hard drive
                        goto display
                        endif

                        To force a refresh, I would define a routine that didn't have the if
                        statement, and simply went out and grabbed the tiles.

                        It's brute force, but would get the job done. It would cause some
                        extra load on the OSM server by downloading tiles that may not have
                        changed, but it would require the user to force a refresh, and not be
                        an automatic routine that grabbed every tile every time a display was
                        updated.

                        So, in the case of my map editing in Schaumburg, after I finished
                        editing, I would simply come back to APRSISCE/32 and hit a key
                        (CTRL-F5) to force a refresh. The yellow circle would do it's dance,
                        and new tiles would be fetched from the OSM server for the area. If I
                        zoom in/out and find old tiles at a higher/lower zoom level, CTRL-F5
                        again to update those as well.

                        If the user is offline, no new tiles are fetched, and the old ones are
                        still available for display. If you delete, and then move around to
                        re-fetch, but are offline, the user ends up with a blank screen.

                        BTW, CTRL-F5 is just an example... a shortcut for a browser refresh.
                        Any key could be used, or a menu item...

                        Howzat?