APRSIS32 Released

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2009
      Yes, the much hinted-at APRSIS32 client for Windows on your desktop has
      now been released! However, don't throw out your cell-phone just yet.
      The desktop client doesn't support GPS nor real tracking, just a fixed
      location beacon. But the visibility is AMAZING!

      Here's how to get it going.

      1) Download APRSIS32091203.zip from the APRSISCE Yahoo Group files section.

      2) Unzip into a directory of your choice.

      3) Double-click the .EXE file.

      4) Configure your callsign-ssid (make it different from your phone!) and
      you might want to expand the Range and/or add a few additional filter
      sections. The client will automatically make a Me filter (only works if
      you allow it to beacon with both GPS and Tracking enabled) as well as
      adding a Range filter around the screen center if you drag it around.
      Click accept when you're done.

      5) Select or create a directory into which the OSM tiles will be saved
      (mine weighs in at 756 MB, but I've been zooming in and out all over the
      world). I use OSMTiles as a sub-directory of the directory containing
      the .EXE. Click Save when you have it in the right place.

      6) Drag the map around and zoom in on your home location. Make sure you
      have it centered in the circle (size the window smaller if you need to).

      7) Close the program. This will record the center location as your
      "Home" coordinates to be used for beaconing. If you need to change
      this, you can edit the APRSIS32.XML file located in the directory, but
      make sure the client is NOT RUNNING! Otherwise your changes will be
      overwritten when the client exits.

      8) Restart the client and have fun!

      Post any questions, problems, or suggestions here. Also please post if
      you've downloaded it and are using it. If things look good in a week or
      two I'll de-cloak it into some of the other APRS mailing lists and Yahoo
      groups.

      Please do NOT distribute the program but invite your friends to join
      this Yahoo Group and download their own copy. That way they'll receive
      update notifications and have a line to the developer to report problems
      and ask questions.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile AND Win32!
    • Don
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 19, 2011
        I just got my first "Smart" phone and am completely lost with all of it's abilities. Will this software work on an Android phone and if so,
        where can I fine detailed instrictions.
        Thanks for any assistance provided.
        73, Don
        W4GCW

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 19, 2011
          Nope, sorry. APRSISCE only works on Windows Mobile phones. If/when I
          can no longer purchase a new or used WinMo phone, I'll probably port it
          to Android, but I expect that to be a LONG time in the future.

          Look for APRSdroid or U2APRS. I'm told the former is the better choice.
          but don't expect APRSISCE/32-type functionality (yet).