Remove automatic filters?

  • kf4lvz
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 21, 2011
      Is there a way to have the program skip the automatic filter? One thing that I do on occasion with other programs is set up a range filter around a completely different location. I do this with the regular r/ filter (that expects coordinates) without reconfiguring my station (e.g. I don't beacon a position where I'm not located).
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 21, 2011
        What does adding a specific r/ filter have to do with skipping the
        automatic filters? I'm confused, redundant filters shouldn't be an
        issue. If you want to add your own Range filter, do it in Configure /
        General / Add Filter. When you're done watching that area, remove it.
        The automatic filters shouldn't get in the way.

        There's any number of ways to accomplish temporarily viewing a different
        location's area, especially if you like the Range that you have set in
        Configure / General, without manually configuring a filter though.

        Before doing any of these, bring up Enables / View Logs / Filter and you
        can watch the filter that is being generated for you.

        The easiest is to simply pan the main map over to where you want to
        watch. The automatic filters will provide an r/ based on the center of
        the main window and the configured Range. The m/ filter will continue
        to apply getting the stuff you're used to.

        If you know a station in the area you'd like to watch (or if one showed
        up from the previous step), do a Screen / Follow / Find on that station
        and click MultiTrack (or just pick MultiTrack on the visible station).
        Once a station appears in the MultiTrack windows (assuming you have a
        non-zero Range configured), you can click on any station in that window
        and select "Range" from the popup menu. This will add a Friend (f/)
        filter using that station and the configured Range value. As you pan
        that MultiTrack around, an automatic Range (r/) filter will follow the
        center of the window making sure that APRS-IS keeps delivering you the
        Range that you have specified as your default viewing circle.

        And neither of these require any beaconing of a position where you are
        not located nor manual configuration of filters or even knowledge of
        lat/lon coordinates. Of course, you can always to that anyway in the
        Configure / General / Add Filter if you want.

        APRSISCE/32 attempts to adjust the filters so that you'll see the stuff
        you want to see, without having to go mucking about with other stuff.
        Even before you enable Range in a MultiTrack window, APRSISCE/32 will
        have already added a Buddy (b/) filter to ensure that you receive all of
        the packets from the station you're following. And while it is Awaiting
        the appearance of an unknown station, it adds a Buddy (b/) and and
        Object (o/) for the station so you can Await either one.

        See also http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/automatic-filters

        PS. Note that it IS possible to craft a filter string that is longer
        than the APRS-IS servers can handle. If you have LOTS of MultiTracks
        open and have a bunch of NWS servers enabled, and a substantial Add
        Filter, you may see APRSISCE/32 show absolutely nothing at startup. You
        need to close a few windows and restart for the connection to get past
        the filter specification during logon.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 21, 2011

          > What does adding a specific r/ filter have to do with skipping the
          > automatic filters? I'm confused, redundant filters shouldn't be an
          > issue. If you want to add your own Range filter, do it in Configure /
          > General / Add Filter. When you're done watching that area, remove it.
          > The automatic filters shouldn't get in the way.

          Well, skipping the automatic filter means that I can ignore data local to my station and focus only on the data coming from wherever the range filter is set. As an example, suppose I want to observe an APRS event in another state, I would like to ignore everything going on in my immediate area so that things like the station list only show what's going on in the area of interest.

          If there's a way already in the program to ignore the immediate area then I'd use that but my first inclination when I want to do something like that is to simply set the range filter to the area of interest and pull data only from there.
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 21, 2011
            On 9/21/2011 9:10 PM, kf4lvz wrote:
            > Well, skipping the automatic filter means that I can ignore data local to my station and focus only on the data coming from wherever the range filter is set. As an example, suppose I want to observe an APRS event in another state, I would like to ignore everything going on in my immediate area so that things like the station list only show what's going on in the area of interest.
            >
            > If there's a way already in the program to ignore the immediate area then I'd use that but my first inclination when I want to do something like that is to simply set the range filter to the area of interest and pull data only from there.

            Ok, now I see what you're after. When you put the r/ filter in
            Configure / General / Add Filter, set the Range to zero. That will
            eliminate nearly all of the other traffic and you'll only get buddy
            filters for specific stations that you Follow. When you're done looking
            at the remote event, remove the r/ filter and put your Range back in the
            configure.

            Personally, I'd just fire up a new APRSISCE instance and give it a
            different -SSID and a Range of zero when I want to do a special
            reception. That way I still have my primary instance(s) running and
            don't disrupt anything for the extra focus today. But then I also have
            a local full feed IS-Server so my multiple instances still only look
            like one connection to the APRS-IS backbone.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 21, 2011
              On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
              <kj4erj@...> wrote:

              > Ok, now I see what you're after.  When you put the r/ filter in
              > Configure / General / Add Filter, set the Range to zero.  That will
              > eliminate nearly all of the other traffic and you'll only get buddy
              > filters for specific stations that you Follow.

              You'll still get a bunch of entries for your own station in the
              scrolling station list even if it's not putting anything thing out.

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 21, 2011
                Working on that as you type...I just completely gutted the data behind
                the scrolling station/packet list which was actually a visual
                representation of the dupe detection list. They're now split, but
                paralleled yet. I'm about to divorce them from each other so that I can
                keep some things from showing up in the scroller if you don't want to
                see them.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 21, 2011

                  > On 9/21/2011 9:10 PM, kf4lvz wrote:
                  > > Well, skipping the automatic filter means that I can ignore data local to my station and focus only on the data coming from wherever the range filter is set. As an example, suppose I want to observe an APRS event in another state, I would like to ignore everything going on in my immediate area so that things like the station list only show what's going on in the area of interest.
                  > >
                  > > If there's a way already in the program to ignore the immediate area then I'd use that but my first inclination when I want to do something like that is to simply set the range filter to the area of interest and pull data only from there.
                  >
                  > Ok, now I see what you're after. When you put the r/ filter in
                  > Configure / General / Add Filter, set the Range to zero. That will
                  > eliminate nearly all of the other traffic and you'll only get buddy
                  > filters for specific stations that you Follow. When you're done looking
                  > at the remote event, remove the r/ filter and put your Range back in the
                  > configure.

                  Ok, I'll give it a shot later and see what happens.

                  > Personally, I'd just fire up a new APRSISCE instance and give it a
                  > different -SSID and a Range of zero when I want to do a special
                  > reception. That way I still have my primary instance(s) running and
                  > don't disrupt anything for the extra focus today. But then I also have
                  > a local full feed IS-Server so my multiple instances still only look
                  > like one connection to the APRS-IS backbone.

                  I actually have no issues shutting down and restarting any APRS application. I mostly participate mobile with my D700 (however, no computer in the car) but almost never when sitting at my computer. I just tend to fire it up and see what's going on every so often. Local reception is by a KPC3+ sitting on a dedicated radio. I connect to it with a text port when I'm curious about the RF traffic and I use Firenet for the network feed when I'm online.

                  I used to use it more when I lived in Atlanta to keep an eye on weather activity but now that I live where weather isn't, I'm not watching the screen very often for the local stuff. I have more of an interest in things going on elsewhere like back in Atlanta or Ft. Lauderdale.