ANSRVR down?

    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 17 3:44 PM

      APRSIS32 crashed sometime today, fired back up.

      It seems though that ANSRVR is down, or perhaps I have a problem?

      Torbay Freecycle Moderator

      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 17 5:16 PM
        ANSRVR seems to be running fine for over 5 days now.  Not sure what you're seeing, but I even checked http://firenet.us:14501 and it's connected to the core as it should be.  (Many times when ANSRVR goes non-responsive, it's due to an APRS-IS connection to firenet.us which sometimes connects outbound to CWOP instead of the core.  When it does that, messaging through firenet to APRS-IS doesn't work.)

        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 18 5:05 AM

          Well after bringing APRSIS32 back to life all my ANSRVR messages sat in pending, I was able to message other stations. The same thing happened today, seems to be ok now however.

          As I was able to message others I thought ANSRVR might be down, I know in the past I have been connected to a server that did not allow send, but that did not seem to be the case.

          I even tried retrying the messages

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 18 11:33 AM

            Can someone outside the UK test ANSRVR, it’s not working here for either myself or 2E0JXE, messaging seems to be working OK and a test message to Lynn went ok. But ANSRVR is not responding, trying to track down why I am having a problem

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 18 11:37 AM
              Your not alone Steve its been like that for me all day and i even tried changing servers and still had no luck.

              73 Mark MM1MPB

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 18 11:42 AM
                ANSRVR is getting CQ requests as of:

                12:49:50 KJ4CTD-3
                13:13:06 N8CTT
                9/17 22:31:59 MM1MPB
                11:27:55 KJ4ERJ-12
                09:13:07 KB3TBX
                09:49:02 KJ4ERJ-AP
                10:20:22 WB8SKP
                11:14:48 GW8SZL
                11:37:10 VK2ASY-10
                12:16:04 2E0XSD-5
                14:33:29 LA1TPA
                12:44:34 2E0XSD-1
                13:52:02 WOTA
                10:39:47 KE4WKK
                14:27:01 G6UIM - Yes, YOU!
                14:32:35 GW0MMB
                (All times local where it is currently 14:41)

                And more.  But it definitely looks to be working and nothing is going on on this end.  I have been noticing some anomalies in the APRS-IS backbone packet rates, but nothing I can particularly put my finger on.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 18 11:58 AM

                    Hi

                    Well 4 of us in the UK have just tested and had no response. Just messed around It seems to be a euro.aprs2.net pool issue I changed to noam.aprs2.net and has been going on for around 2 days

                    I possible did get on through earlier probably via noam pool

                    Messaging works fine just not ANSRVR, just tried switching back and forth between noam and euro, messaging works for both and ANSRVR works on noam but not euro

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 18 12:37 PM
                      ANSRVR connects to my local instance of javAPRSsrvr (http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net:14501) which in turn is currently connected to the third core server.  According to the logs I saw at aprs.fi, ANSRVR was getting your requests, but apparently you weren't getting the responses.

                      Feel free to keep debugging the issue by sending requests to ANSRVR (D ROCKETS, for instance) and use aprs.fi to see if the request is getting there and what response, if any, is going out.  Try it multiple times with different APRS-IS server connections if you want a real effort in futility at tracking down what's going where.

                      You can check the status of the various Tier2 hubs at

                      http://hub1.aprs2.net:14501/ (connected to fourth core)
                      http://hub2.aprs2.net:14501/ (connected to sixth core via IPV6)
                      http://hub3.aprs2.net:14501/ (connected to fourth core)
                      http://hub4.aprs2.net:14501/ (connected to third core)

                      Now, I don't pretend to understand how the core servers work, but I find it strange that there's differing numbers of Interserver Connections on the core servers some of which show zero packets received.  And the servers on the other end of those 3 connections are non-responsive.

                      CORE-2: http://134.173.254.38:14501/ (6 interservers, 2 zero)
                      Third: http://146.229.162.182:14501/ (5 interservers, 2 zero)
                      Fourth: http://165.91.140.39:14501/ (6 interservers, 3 zero)
                      Fifth: http://66.109.111.25:14501/ (7 interservers, 3 zero)
                      Sixth: http://198.137.202.24:14501/ (7 interservers 3 zero)
                      firenet.us: http://firenet.us:14501/ (connected to third)

                      http://165.91.140.20:14501/ - No answer
                      http://165.91.140.28:14501/ - No answer - This is first.aprs.net
                      http://165.91.83.121:14501/ - No answer

                      Interestingly, firenet.us translates to 165.91.140.47 which is nearly the same as the non-responsive servers (hosted at tamu.edu)?

                      At a minimum, first.aprs.net is down along with 2 other core-connected interservers.  And I'm suspicious of the IPV6 connection from hub2 to the core server, personally.  It's been connected there for 2 days and 16 hours.  How long have you been having issues?

                      euro.aprs2.net is:

                      euro.aprs2.net = 193.106.216.154 - T2RADOM Connected to HUB2
                      euro.aprs2.net = 195.90.121.18 - T2HAM Connected to HUB1
                      euro.aprs2.net = 212.174.31.162 - T2TURKIYE Connected to HUB1
                      euro.aprs2.net = 81.86.174.150 - T2ENGLAND Connected to HUB3
                      euro.aprs2.net = 91.142.198.197 - T2KRAKOW Connected to HUB3
                      euro.aprs2.net = 188.165.133.253 - T2SPAIN2 Connected to HUB2
                      euro.aprs2.net = 193.1.193.156 - T2IRELAND Connected (IPV6) to HUB1
                      euro.aprs2.net = 193.16.217.17 - T2SOLO Connected (IPV6) to HUB3

                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 18 12:55 PM

                        I have been noticing issues for around 2 days but noticed originally because my keepalives did not go out on restart so it could be as long as 2d 16h

                        Checking tonight I see that sometimes I get a response showing on aprs.fi,but don’t receive it, other times I receive it but it does not show on aprs.fi. other times it behaves as it should.

                        It’s not pool specific, as I first thought I get the issue with noam just not as much and as messaging between stations seems to work it first off looks like an ANSRVR problem, obviously that’s not the case

                        I will mess around and try and find the problem

                        Torbay Freecycle Moderator

                          ANSRVR seems to be running fine for over 5 days now.  Not sure what you're seeing, but I even checked http://firenet.us:14501 and it's connected to the core as it should be.  (Many times when ANSRVR goes non-responsive, it's due to an APRS-IS connection to firenet.us which sometimes connects outbound to CWOP instead of the core.  When it does that, messaging through firenet to APRS-IS doesn't work.)

                          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for WindowsMobile and Win32

                          On 9/17/2011 6:44 PM, Steve Daniels wrote:

                          APRSIS32 crashed sometime today, fired back up.

                          It seems though that

                          (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 18 1:42 PM

                            By the way cqsrvr responds on all.

                            A quick check of the servers in the euro pool shows only those connected to HUB2 work that’s T2SPAIN and T2RADOM the ones connected to HUB1 or 3 do not work

                            HUB2 connects to 6th core and lynn is connected to 3rd so it would seem that those are all talking nicely. HUB1 and 3 connect to 4th core

                            T2TEXAS connects via HUB4 and that works, Hub4 is connected to 3rd core

                            So in the early stages of this it would seem the issue might be with 4th core

                            I would suggest using servers that connect via hub2 or 4

                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 18 2:05 PM

                              Seems my message is stuck needing moderation. It seems core 4 might be the issue using servers that connect to hubs 2 and 4 seem ok at least as far as connecting to ANSRVR is concerned

                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 24, 2012
                                I've been trying for the last couple of hours to join my groups but apparently ANSRVR is down.
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 24, 2012
                                  It's up for me. I just asked it to describe groups and it did.

                                  What callsign-SSID are you using and what APRS-IS server are you
                                  connected to?

                                  If it is firenet.us, it appears to have lost its upstream connection.
                                  At least, I don't see it on the status page http://firenet.us:14501/

                                  Lynn (D) - KJERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 24, 2012
                                    I don't believe it's firenet, or at least not only firenet. There's
                                    bunches of packets showing up on all APRS-IS core servers EXCEPT 5th and
                                    6th. Somehow there's seems to be a core disconnect that's causing a
                                    schism in the APRS-IS packet distribution.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 24, 2012
                                      For comparison.  The following graphs are from their respective status pages.  Note how 4th is seeing many more unique packets (40/sec) than 5th and 6th (both 25/sec).  Something is definitely not working correctly...

                                      http://fourth.aprs.net:14501/

                                      http://fifth.aprs.net:14501/

                                      http://sixth.aprs.net:14501/

                                      I don't believe it's firenet, or at least not only firenet.  There's
                                      bunches of packets showing up on all APRS-IS core servers EXCEPT 5th and
                                      6th.  Somehow there's seems to be a core disconnect that's causing a
                                      schism in the APRS-IS packet distribution.

                                      It's up for me.  I just asked it to describe groups and it did.

                                      What callsign-SSID are you using and what APRS-IS server are you
                                      connected to?

                                      If it is firenet.us, it appears to have lost its upstream connection.
                                      At least, I don't see it on the status page http://firenet.us:14501/

                                      Lynn (D) - KJERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                                      On 10/24/2012 10:01 PM, Greg wrote:

                                      I've been trying for the last couple of hours to join my groups but apparently ANSRVR is down.

                                      <*> Your email settings:
                                          Individual Email | Traditional

                                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                                      <*> To change settings via email:
                                          aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                          aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                    • Greg Depew
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 25, 2012
                                        Not sure what I'm connected to, believe it to be a t2 server as I have noam rotate in. Callsign KB3KBR-1.KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 25, 2012
                                          Also as of last night at 10 I could only see 4 of your stations Lynn, I think they were -1, -7, -12 and qru.KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 25, 2012
                                            That would be a T2 server.  They're working around the core issue by (hopefully) ensuring that none of their hubs are connected to the split section.  I've relocated ANSRVR to a different core as well, so ANSRVR should be (hopefully) fully functional except for clients directly connected to 4th and 5th.

                                            (At the mercy of the infrastructure transport!)

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Oct 25, 2012
                                              I'm pleased to report that thanks to Pete Lovell (author of javAPRSSrvr) and Gerry Creager (operator of first.aprs.net server) (and a few other kibitzers including myself), the issue that had caused the appearance of an ANSRVR failure has been resolved.  The issue was caused by the failure of first.aprs.net (javAPRSSrvr 4.0) to recognize and recover from the restart of fifth.aprs.net and sixth.aprs.net (both aprsc) resulting in packets not flowing between those servers at the APRS-IS core.

                                              This is a good time to send a mental (if not physical) "Thank You" to all those volunteers running the core, hub, and Tier2 APRS-IS servers that we all take for granted.  It's kind of like the power grid, you never think about the electricity flowing until you turn on a switch and nothing happens.  There's lots and lots of "stuff" out there that makes APRS play so well, and all of it is provided by volunteers in the amateur radio community.

                                              So here's my big "THANK YOU" to the Infrastructure without which APRSISCE/32 would be nothing more than an OSM map display utility.

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Oct 25, 2012

                                                Good to see it’s fixed, and a big thanks to the people who run the IS servers at all levels

                                                You missed a few people out though, So thanks to all those past and present who have written Software and Firmware, designed and built hardware

                                                And of course all those that operate Igates and digipeaters without which RF mobile station would be very lonely.

                                                And from an APRSISCE/32 point of view thanks to Lynn for writing it, and all those who have tested and come up with ideas for Lynn to add

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Oct 25, 2012
                                                  Thank you all! Amazing work!KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                                                  For comparison.  The following graphs are from their respective status
                                                  pages.  Note how 4th is seeing many more unique packets (40/sec) than
                                                  5th and 6th (both 25/sec). Something is definitely not working correctly...

                                                  http://fourth.aprs.net:14501/

                                                  http://fifth.aprs.net:14501/

                                                  http://sixth.aprs.net:14501/

                                                  > I don't believe it's firenet, or at least not only firenet.  There's
                                                  > bunches of packets showing up on all APRS-IS core servers EXCEPT 5th and
                                                  > 6th.  Somehow there's seems to be a core disconnect that's causing a
                                                  > schism in the APRS-IS packet distribution.

                                                  > On 10/24/2012 10:46 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
                                                  >> It's up for me.  I just asked it to describe groups and it did.
                                                  >>
                                                  >> What callsign-SSID are you using and what APRS-IS server are you
                                                  >> connected to?
                                                  >>
                                                  >> If it is firenet.us, it appears to have lost its upstream connection.
                                                  >> At least, I don't see it on the status page http://firenet.us:14501/
                                                  >>
                                                  >> Lynn (D) - KJERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
                                                  >>
                                                  >> On 10/24/2012 10:01 PM, Greg wrote:
                                                  >>> I've been trying for the last couple of hours to join my groups but apparently ANSRVR is down.

                                                • ve6srv
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Oct 25, 2012

                                                    > So here's my big "THANK YOU" to the Infrastructure without which
                                                    > APRSISCE/32 would be nothing more than an OSM map display utility.

                                                    Hey Lynn, you should try configuring an RF port and running APRSISCE/32 on RF.

                                                    The guy that wrote the program is a pretty smart bunny, and has made it possible to operate the program without an internet connection to the APRS-IS or the OSM servers.

                                                    You can operate fully independent of the internet and still get >95% functionality out of the program. You can't update maps on the fly, or act as an i-gate, but everything else works just fine.

                                                    Granted, the origins of the program limited the functionality to just a simple APRS-IS snooping program, but it has grown far beyond that limited functionality.

                                                    We really need to thank the guy that wrote APRSISCE/32 for the top-notch program that we have available today. It is the cream of the crop!

                                                    (Having to respond on YahooGroups as I still have not received this message, but I have 2 replies to it already... YahooGroups has been suffering some serious indigestion for about 2 weeks now!)
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Oct 25, 2012
                                                      On 10/25/2012 10:16 PM, ve6srv wrote:

                                                      >> So here's my big "THANK YOU" to the Infrastructure without which
                                                      >> APRSISCE/32 would be nothing more than an OSM map display utility.
                                                      > Hey Lynn, you should try configuring an RF port and running APRSISCE/32 on RF.

                                                      Ok, I sort of deserved that (hey, I was working with getting my
                                                      KJ4ERJ-12 to show up on my wife's Nuvi 1490 via her T3-135/DR-135 just
                                                      this evening. I really DO do RF sometimes!)

                                                      Note that your quoted text says "the Infrastructure", not "the
                                                      APRS-IS". I may not have explicitly mentioned the IGates and
                                                      Digipeaters, but when I use the term "Infrastructure" I mean the whole
                                                      enchilada. I did go back and re-read the post and it does just
                                                      explicitly mention the APRS-IS server, but it also said "There's lots
                                                      and lots of "stuff" out there ... provided by volunteers in the amateur
                                                      radio community" so that pretty well covered it, I thought.

                                                      > We really need to thank the guy that wrote APRSISCE/32 for the top-notch program that we have available today. It is the cream of the crop!

                                                      You're welcome. I just wish I could make the time to dive back into
                                                      it! Soon, hopefully soon.

                                                      And one of the first things that I think it will get is the ability to
                                                      save and restore an arbitrary -IS to RF IGate filter. I restarted my
                                                      KJ4ERJ-1 IGate the other day and was going nuts earlier this evening
                                                      trying to figure out why my phone wouldn't show up. THEN I remembered
                                                      the restart after which I didn't reset the filter. Seeing something
                                                      over RF works a lot better when someone's actually transmitting what
                                                      you're looking for!

                                                    • jay911_50
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Oct 26, 2012

                                                        > Ok, I sort of deserved that (hey, I was working with getting my
                                                        > KJ4ERJ-12 to show up on my wife's Nuvi 1490 via her T3-135/DR-135

                                                        Waitwaitwait. Pardon the threadjack: You have the 1490 showing stations? I gather you made it work with the fleet interface somehow?

                                                        Signed, 1490 user.....
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Oct 26, 2012
                                                          On 10/26/2012 11:18 AM, jay911_50 wrote:
                                                          >> Ok, I sort of deserved that (hey, I was working with getting my
                                                          >> KJ4ERJ-12 to show up on my wife's Nuvi 1490 via her T3-135/DR-135
                                                          > Waitwaitwait. Pardon the threadjack: You have the 1490 showing stations? I gather you made it work with the fleet interface somehow?
                                                          >
                                                          > Signed, 1490 user.....

                                                          Yes, I have a Nuvi 1490 with the proper (different that 350) FMI cable
                                                          connected to a T3-135 embedded inside an Alinco DR-135 operating as
                                                          KJ4OVQ-9 and it DOES show received stations and does NOT show breadcrumb
                                                          tracks.

                                                          HOWEVER, as I read on one of the other lists, there's an issue with
                                                          screen refresh that had me thinking it was only putting the station in
                                                          the Favorites. In order to see the current station locations, I have to
                                                          switch out of the map back to the menu, and then back into the map and
                                                          the stations are moved. If they update while looking at the map, they
                                                          don't move. Switch out and back in and they're in the new location.

                                                          Now I just have to get the proper DE9 termination on my FMI cable with
                                                          traffic receiver and I'll have my YLs van back to full GPS functionality
                                                          with added APRS.

                                                          PS. I'm hoping to summarize what I've got working in the Tracker2 group
                                                          once I finish all of the testing. I was going completely bonkers when I
                                                          had the new T3-135 in a different DR-135 than the original T2-135 was
                                                          in. Nothing was working except every now and they she'd show up
                                                          tracking. Finally tracked it down to the DR-135 not actually powering
                                                          up the T3-135 when data mode was invoked. Swapped the radios around and
                                                          things got MUCH better. Amazing how hardware works better whyou
                                                          actually give it power.