GPSD

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3 12:27 PM

      I was doing some research on GPS and came across GPSD, excellent piece of software, it’s for linux but someone has ported an older version to windows.

      It’s able to detect multiple connected GPS and does its best to improve the accuracy of the readings, and also reports estimated error in location fix.

      It then provides an IP port that multiple device can connect to, if the can read its data format

      The source code is available and the licence is such it can be used it other programs

      It’s very much worth a look at

      http://gpsd.berlios.de/

      Torbay Freecycle Moderator

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 24, 2013

        For those that are not aware APRSISx supports GPSD. It’s a great piece of software that allows sharing of a GPS between multiple apps and PC’s and even across the internet.

        It also adds additional info to the GPS data, especially when it can determine the GPS device you are using, it will put the device into native mode, and correct any known issues.

        It is however really a linux/unix based software.

        My current setup links via Bluetooth and sadly GPSD seems not to be able to switch the GPS to native mode. So am just getting NMEA sentences

        Steve Daniels

        Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

        Torbay Freecycle  Owner

      • iw2ejh
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 25, 2013
          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Daniels" <steve@...> wrote:

          > My current setup links via Bluetooth and sadly GPSD seems not to be able to
          > switch the GPS to native mode. So am just getting NMEA sentences

          Most Bluetooth GPS have the RX line disconnected, then it do not allow receiving commands.
          You will find in Internet some documentation how to cable back the RX line to allow changing mode
          73 IW2EJH