OT: Katia and Lee

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
    Greetings All,

    While exploring the NWS site, I grabbed the GIS data for Katia's current
    location and the 5-day forecast for 2 days. The first was on Wednesday, and
    the second, today. I didn't realize I had a tool to open the files. :)

    Then, I realized I might as well add Lee.

    For those interested, the GIS data for Katia are here:
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gis/forecast/archive/al122011_5day_latest.zip

    And, Lee is here:
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gis/forecast/archive/al132011_5day_latest.zip

    You will something to open SHP files.

    I played with the earlier position and forecast data for Katia. So it will
    look different. I haven't not played with the data enough to understand what
    all is included. There appears to be a bit of data available.

    This could be a useful feature at some point in the future.

    This is a great time for information; so much at our fingertips!

    Best regards,
    Fred
  • apenadragon
    Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2011
      ok, so because I'm not a computer genius, how do I get this to display on APRSIS32?

      Adam
      KC2ANT

      > Greetings All,
      >

      > While exploring the NWS site, I grabbed the GIS data for Katia's current
      > location and the 5-day forecast for 2 days. The first was on Wednesday, and
      > the second, today. I didn't realize I had a tool to open the files. :)
      >
      > Then, I realized I might as well add Lee.
      >
      > For those interested, the GIS data for Katia are here:
      > http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gis/forecast/archive/al122011_5day_latest.zip
      >
      > And, Lee is here:
      > http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gis/forecast/archive/al132011_5day_latest.zip
      >
      > You will something to open SHP files.
      >
      > I played with the earlier position and forecast data for Katia. So it will
      > look different. I haven't not played with the data enough to understand what
      > all is included. There appears to be a bit of data available.
      >
      > This could be a useful feature at some point in the future.
      >
      > This is a great time for information; so much at our fingertips!
      >

      > Best regards,
      > Fred

    • apenadragon
      Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2011
        ok, I've unzipped the Katia file to the same place as my NWS shape files, and have added al122011.021_5day_pgn.shp shape file to the list of files. But I can't add the other two. and it's not showing any shapes.

        Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
        Adam
        KC2ANT

        Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3, 2011
          I think Fred was using something else to display the shape files because
          APRSISCE/32 is not a general-purpose shape file viewer, but only
          explicitly supports NWS shape files for weather warning area activation.

          Hopefully Fred will enlighten us when he sees your question.

          On 9/3/2011 8:05 AM, apenadragon wrote:
          > ok, I've unzipped the Katia file to the same place as my NWS shape files, and have added al122011.021_5day_pgn.shp shape file to the list of files. But I can't add the other two. and it's not showing any shapes.
          >
          > Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
          > Adam
          > KC2ANT
          >
          > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "apenadragon"<kc2ant@...> wrote:
          >> ok, so because I'm not a computer genius, how do I get this to display on APRSIS32?
          >>
          >> Adam
          >> KC2ANT
          >>
          >> --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse"<fmhillhouse@> wrote:
          >>> Greetings All,
          >>>

          >>> While exploring the NWS site, I grabbed the GIS data for Katia's current
          >>> location and the 5-day forecast for 2 days. The first was on Wednesday, and
          >>> the second, today. I didn't realize I had a tool to open the files. :)
          >>>
          >>> Then, I realized I might as well add Lee.
          >>>
          >>> For those interested, the GIS data for Katia are here:
          >>> http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gis/forecast/archive/al122011_5day_latest.zip
          >>>
          >>> And, Lee is here:
          >>> http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gis/forecast/archive/al132011_5day_latest.zip
          >>>
          >>> You will something to open SHP files.
          >>>
          >>> I played with the earlier position and forecast data for Katia. So it will
          >>> look different. I haven't not played with the data enough to understand what
          >>> all is included. There appears to be a bit of data available.
          >>>
          >>> This could be a useful feature at some point in the future.
          >>>
          >>> This is a great time for information; so much at our fingertips!
          >>>

          >>> Best regards,
          >>> Fred

        • apenadragon
          Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3, 2011
            OK, at least my understanding of how APRSIS32 interprets things was pretty close on. Didn't think you'd supported storm chasing... yet. ;)

            Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2011
              Greetings,

              I hope everyone had a good weekend. I didn't do anything with email so I am
              just seeing this thread again.

              The last thing I added was:
              "This could be a useful feature at some point in the future."

              I thought the statement implied it was not available now in ARPSISCE/32.
              Sorry about that!

              I did use another package that will open SHP files. Specifically, I used
              ExpertGPS. It is not the base version. The version I use has more GIS
              functions; more than I use on a even a sporadic basis.

              Best regards,
              Fred

              --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com> , "Lynn