Re: [aprsisce] Cluster Size (Dev: 2011/09/02 07:51)

  • Colin Catlin
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2011
      Hi Lynn,

      My -5 instance is showing (*512Bytes) for the built-in Memory & (*1024Bytes) for the MiniSDcard.
      That could explain why I can very rapidly run out of Storage Space.

      73,
      Colin.

      On 02/09/2011 12:05, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
      I've been going nuts trying to figure out why the OSM tiles are taking up so much disk space on my 2GB uSD card, so I added the cluster size to the OSM Map Tiles popup dialog (double-click an empty area of the map).  At the bottom you will now see the following stats for all configured Tile Sets:

      Name->Storage Directory
      TileCount/TotalSize/DiskSize(*Cluster) Space Free

      Name is your tile set name.
      Storage Directory is where that tile set is being stored (they better all be unique!)
      TileCount is the count of tiles found in that tree
      TotalSize is the necessary size of the tile files
      DiskSize is the on-disk allocation for the tile files
      Cluster is the disk's cluster size
      Space is the free space on that particular device

      My uSD card has a cluster size of 32KB and an average OSM tile file of 9.65K, no wonder the 77MB occupies 261MB of the card!  It's mostly cluster rounding waste.  (I was using >800MB of the card before I re-enabled the tile purger last night when my card completely filled up).

      My desktop is much nicer, but then it's not running an SD card.  The cluster size is only 4KB and 168MB only occupies 215MB on disk.

      If any of you WinMo users out there have read this far, double-click an empty space and let me know what your cluster size is.  I've got a ToDo item to (optionally) store the individual tiles in a container file of some sort to squeeze out the excess allocation space, but I need to know if it'll really be worth it.