Re: [aprsisce] Request

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 2, 2011
      See if you like the new Lock(XXXX) at the bottom of the screen. It will
      also jump back to the center if you re-lock with a known station being
      followed. You still can't tell the Lock stat if you're looking at the
      Preferred view, but then, if you're at your default view, do you really
      care about the lock status?

      Anytime there's no station callsign at the bottom, then it is implicitly
      following "ME". I prefer keeping the clutter down (at least a little
      bit) in the default (follow ME) state.

      On 9/2/2011 8:01 AM, Rick wrote:
      > Hi Lynn seems as tho you are in one of your devs. modes...
      > Could you have a message on the bottom of the screen or
      > somewhere that will inform you that you have lock on, just
      > like it does for "Pan, pref" also ME if I'm following ME
      >
      > Thanks
      > Rick-kd4dra
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 20, 2011
        Lynn I know you made some changes as to this request, but what I was looking for does not work, I don't know if you made this change as I expected but here goes again.
        If I'm on my laptop or PC and I press the "M" key it centers on ME
        but does not announce that at the bottom of the screen, just a "S" for south, and I don't care about that. What I was looking for is if I press The "L" key it would announce at the bottom of the screen if I'm actually locked.

        Thanks
        Rick-kd4dra

        P.S. what do the "[2]" after a call in the scrolling stations represent in the latest DEV.Release.

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 20, 2011
          I read what you wanted, and decided not to change the screen because
          there were obvious ways of knowing it worked.

          You press the M, it centers on ME. When it is centered on ME, the S
          part of the compass appears. This dates back to original behavior and I
          have no plan to change it. Sorry.

          You press L, and lock toggles. The dead giveaway is that when you move,
          ME drifts off the center. If that happens, hit L and ME will jump to
          center and stay there. I don't believe the "normal" mode of a Locked ME
          needs to be explicitly indicated on the screen.

          If ME drifts, hit L because you weren't locked before, but you certainly
          will be now. If ME is not in the middle, hit M and it will be. Done.

          As for the (2), from the release notes:

          > Add (n) to the scrolling station/packet log if duplicates of a packet
          > are received via APRS-IS. This shouldn't normally happen except in
          > the event of close timing and/or multiple APRS-IS feeds into a single
          > instance (don't ask me how).

          If you are seeing (2), then you're running multiple APRS-IS feeds into a
          single instance. Depending on what all ports you have configured, this
          is possible, although some would say not recommended. APRSISCE/32
          supports a SINGLE xmit-capable APRS-IS instance configured as such.
          This is of the utmost importance to avoid potential looping scenarios
          that are very ugly (yes, I know, I had one in one of my experimental
          configurations).

          If you don't think you should be seeing duplicate packets from APRS-IS,
          please enable the Packets trace log along with Enables / Logging / File
          Enabled and let it run a while. Note the time(s) and station(s) that
          show the (2) and then close the client and e-mail that information along
          with your APRSIS32*.LOG files and APRSIS32.XML file to KJ4ERJ@....
          I'll see if I can figure out why you're seeing duplicate packets from
          the -IS.

          Note that this was always possible before, but APRSISCE/32 wasn't
          counting them nor showing the count. I added this to assist in tracking
          down some recently resolved issues in the core APRS-IS servers that had
          ANSRVR messaging a bit messed up. Actually, all APRS-IS-based messaging
          was a little be flakey for a few days, it was just obvious with the
          ANSRVR automatic keep-alives. But it's all better now, as of sometime
          yesterday evening.

          On 9/20/2011 6:54 PM, Rick wrote:
          > Lynn I know you made some changes as to this request, but what I was looking for does not work, I don't know if you made this change as I expected but here goes again.
          > If I'm on my laptop or PC and I press the "M" key it centers on ME
          > but does not announce that at the bottom of the screen, just a "S" for south, and I don't care about that. What I was looking for is if I press The "L" key it would announce at the bottom of the screen if I'm actually locked.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Rick-kd4dra
          >
          > P.S. what do the "[2]" after a call in the scrolling stations represent in the latest DEV.Release.
          >

          > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Rick"<kd4dra@...> wrote:
          >> Hi Lynn seems as tho you are in one of your devs. modes...
          >> Could you have a message on the bottom of the screen or
          >> somewhere that will inform you that you have lock on, just
          >> like it does for "Pan, pref" also ME if I'm following ME
          >>
          >> Thanks
          >> Rick-kd4dra

        • kd4dra
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 20, 2011
            Sorry if I ruffled something, but that was not explained when the changes were made.
            Or I didn't read that into the explanation of the changes. But I'll make do.

            And as for running two IS instances I only have one APRSIS32 running on one PC, so I
            don't know how that could be, but I'm not the smartest Cookie in the JAR.

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 20, 2011
              No, nothing ruffled, and I apologize if the tone sounded that way.  I should have answered your request with the explanation back then and avoided the misunderstanding.  It certainly wasn't clear in my write-up so you didn't miss anything there.

              It's not the APRSISCE/32 instances, but the ports you may have configured feeding that instance.

              Are you seeing the (2) on every packet or just a few?  I've noticed that firenet.us gives TWO "free" location updates around any message that is supplied through the filter.  That will show up with a (2), but it will be on very few packets, unless most of your packets are messages (a t/m filter, for instance).

              If you could email your APRSIS32.XML file to KJ4ERJ@..., I'd like to take a look at it.

              Also, if anyone else out there is seeing (n) numbers running in the scrolling station pane, I'd like to hear about it.  Maybe it happens more often than I think it should.  (And then again, maybe I have a bug in my dupe counter.  Given my track record recently, that's a distinct possibility).

              On 9/20/2011 6:54 PM, Rick wrote:
              > Lynn I know you made some changes as to this request, but what I was looking for does not work, I don't know if you made this change as I expected but here goes again.
              > If I'm on my laptop or PC and I press the "M" key it centers on ME
              > but does not announce that at the bottom of the screen, just a "S" for south, and I don't care about that. What I was looking for is if I press The "L" key it would announce at the bottom of the screen if I'm actually locked.
              >
              > Thanks
              > Rick-kd4dra
              >
              > P.S. what do the "[2]" after a call in the scrolling stations represent in the latest DEV.Release.
              >

              > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Rick"<kd4dra@...> wrote:
              >> Hi Lynn seems as tho you are in one of your devs. modes...
              >> Could you have a message on the bottom of the screen or
              >> somewhere that will inform you that you have lock on, just
              >> like it does for "Pan, pref" also ME if I'm following ME
              >>
              >> Thanks
              >> Rick-kd4dra

            • Krzysztof
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 21, 2011

                I have (2) marked packets/SSIDs on the scrolling list as well.

                They are very few of them.

                This is the same on WebDT with Built: 2011/09/19 23:22 and on PC with Built: 2011/09/21 00:58.

                --

                Regards,

                Krzysztof

                SQ5NWI

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 22 5:31 PM

                    Lynn

                    When you get back to coding, can you do something about a ? responding with all the QRU groups. It happens when someone just send a ? as a query, as in I don’t understand sort of thing.

                    Some people seem to be slow on picking up the fact, ho hum

                    Steve Daniels

                    Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                    Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 23 2:15 AM

                        No when they send ? as the only thing and to me, not QRU,  the response is to send all the QRU groups

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 23 3:48 AM
                          hi folks,

                          sending a question mark to a specific callsign asks what kind of requests the software in use can give an answer to.

                          if among all items given by the software i.e. ?VER ?APRSS etc. the ham operator has created a QRU database this is mentioned as well but it is not an exclusive response to that.

                          that is why INFO send to QRU exists. but then again all QRU holders are mentioned and you have to pick the callsign you are interested in. (range is a factor! so you don't get the whole picture of a database of i.e. G6UIM).

                          for this ?APRSO had given the answer in former times. unfortunately that forced all objects to be transmitted instantly. it did that with all i.e. 300 QRU-objects at mine(DF8LS-10). i think Lynn has programmed it to an answer to ?APRSO only responding on the "normal" objects.

                          that is my input to the REQUEST subject.

                          73
                          Helge, DF8LS
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 23 8:24 AM

                            Hi Helge (Jerry)

                            Lynn fixed the ?APRSO after I sank the UK under my objects.

                            Perhaps ?QRU to get a list of groups, currently just sending a ? does that. In the UK ? gets used a lot for sorry I don’t understand/please explain

                            Steve (Tom) Daniels