Cluster Size (Dev: 2011/09/02 07:51)

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2011
      I've been going nuts trying to figure out why the OSM tiles are taking up so much disk space on my 2GB uSD card, so I added the cluster size to the OSM Map Tiles popup dialog (double-click an empty area of the map).  At the bottom you will now see the following stats for all configured Tile Sets:

      Name->Storage Directory
      TileCount/TotalSize/DiskSize(*Cluster) Space Free

      Name is your tile set name.
      Storage Directory is where that tile set is being stored (they better all be unique!)
      TileCount is the count of tiles found in that tree
      TotalSize is the necessary size of the tile files
      DiskSize is the on-disk allocation for the tile files
      Cluster is the disk's cluster size
      Space is the free space on that particular device

      My uSD card has a cluster size of 32KB and an average OSM tile file of 9.65K, no wonder the 77MB occupies 261MB of the card!  It's mostly cluster rounding waste.  (I was using >800MB of the card before I re-enabled the tile purger last night when my card completely filled up).

      My desktop is much nicer, but then it's not running an SD card.  The cluster size is only 4KB and 168MB only occupies 215MB on disk.

      If any of you WinMo users out there have read this far, double-click an empty space and let me know what your cluster size is.  I've got a ToDo item to (optionally) store the individual tiles in a container file of some sort to squeeze out the excess allocation space, but I need to know if it'll really be worth it.

    • Krzysztof
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2011

        I have cluster size 32kB and ratio TotalSize:DiskSize is like 1:2 for two sets of tiles which I use on my Samsung Omnia mobile.

        --

        Regards,

        Krzysztof

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2011
          My desktop is 4K(HD) and my Tilt is 32K (uSD).

          Tilt (Original Tiles): 27660/167.07MB/868.66MB(*32) 6.16GB Free

          It looks like the average tile size is ~6KB. With the cluster size at 32K, the minimum is 32K for a 533% increase. Sweet!

          I haven't looked into it myself but can the uSD be formatted differently to shrink the cluster size?

          Apparently you just need a bigger uSD card, like an 8 or 16GB. ;)

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2011
            I believe I tried formatting an 2GB SD card one time with a smaller cluster size, but due to the FAT limitations, it needed to use the 32KB.

            You can see why I'm considering the container file for tiles, right?  Needed 167MB, using 868MB is a 4 TIMES waste of space!

            Anyone out there running OSMTiles on a thumb drive?  Does it do the same thing or is it better?

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2011
              Hi Lynn,

              Confirmed. My 2 gb card is reporting a 32k cluster size, and I do believe it's a FAT limitation. Your desktop is probably using NTFS, which has a different structure.

              Thumb drives are usually FAT formatted, so would have the same issue. That said, I also have an external hard drive, and it came with an HPFS file system, so it might depend on their capacity. A large enough thumb drive would probably be NTFS too.

              Greg.

              Sent from my trusty iPAQ.

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2011
                I started up a USB stick instance (N7FMH-US).

                The drive is a PNY 4GB FAT23 device.

                Best regards,
                Fred

                This is the screen capture:

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2, 2011
                  Fat fingered the FAT32 into FAT23. :(

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 2, 2011
                    Hi Lynn,

                    My -5 instance is showing (*512Bytes) for the built-in Memory & (*1024Bytes) for the MiniSDcard.
                    That could explain why I can very rapidly run out of Storage Space.

                    73,
                    Colin.