Request

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2011

      Can QRU position be locked to me? Not a big deal but I get QRUG6UIM and ME in slightly different locations sometimes due to GPS jitter. Basically if a different location is sent for ME the QRU beacons also.

      That said all that sort of thing will hopefully be cured hopefully at some pointJ

      Torbay Freecycle Moderator

      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2011
        When the QRU<callsign> beacons, it uses ME's then-current location.  You probably really don't want the object going out as often as your drifting GPS transmits, do you?

        And I have considered (and implemented at one time) averaging GPS locations to reduce the jitter, but I really don't like the effect it has when a station really does start moving.  I end up having to nearly run down my driveway and 1/2 way across the cul-de-sac before the averaging is finally cracked and it admits that I'm really moving this time.

        Still looking for a good solution, but the easiest first step is to disable Configure / Genius / Heading Change by setting it to 180.  Let the Forecast Error and Max Distance pick up the slack and it works better.

        PS.  If you really zoom in on my home QTH you'll see my various -SSIDs all over the place, but there're all still fundamentally "here".

        On 9/1/2011 6:03 PM, Steve Daniels wrote:

        Can QRU position be locked to me? Not a big deal but I get QRUG6UIM and ME in slightly different locations sometimes due to GPS jitter. Basically if a different location is sent for ME the QRU beacons also.

        That said all that sort of thing will hopefully be cured hopefully at some pointJ

        Torbay Freecycle Moderator

      • Rick
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 2, 2011
          Hi Lynn seems as tho you are in one of your devs. modes...
          Could you have a message on the bottom of the screen or
          somewhere that will inform you that you have lock on, just
          like it does for "Pan, pref" also ME if I'm following ME

          Thanks
          Rick-kd4dra
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2, 2011
            See if you like the new Lock(XXXX) at the bottom of the screen. It will
            also jump back to the center if you re-lock with a known station being
            followed. You still can't tell the Lock stat if you're looking at the
            Preferred view, but then, if you're at your default view, do you really
            care about the lock status?

            Anytime there's no station callsign at the bottom, then it is implicitly
            following "ME". I prefer keeping the clutter down (at least a little
            bit) in the default (follow ME) state.

            On 9/2/2011 8:01 AM, Rick wrote:
            > Hi Lynn seems as tho you are in one of your devs. modes...
            > Could you have a message on the bottom of the screen or
            > somewhere that will inform you that you have lock on, just
            > like it does for "Pan, pref" also ME if I'm following ME
            >
            > Thanks
            > Rick-kd4dra
          • Rick
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 20, 2011
              Lynn I know you made some changes as to this request, but what I was looking for does not work, I don't know if you made this change as I expected but here goes again.
              If I'm on my laptop or PC and I press the "M" key it centers on ME
              but does not announce that at the bottom of the screen, just a "S" for south, and I don't care about that. What I was looking for is if I press The "L" key it would announce at the bottom of the screen if I'm actually locked.

              Thanks
              Rick-kd4dra

              P.S. what do the "[2]" after a call in the scrolling stations represent in the latest DEV.Release.

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 20, 2011
                I read what you wanted, and decided not to change the screen because
                there were obvious ways of knowing it worked.

                You press the M, it centers on ME. When it is centered on ME, the S
                part of the compass appears. This dates back to original behavior and I
                have no plan to change it. Sorry.

                You press L, and lock toggles. The dead giveaway is that when you move,
                ME drifts off the center. If that happens, hit L and ME will jump to
                center and stay there. I don't believe the "normal" mode of a Locked ME
                needs to be explicitly indicated on the screen.

                If ME drifts, hit L because you weren't locked before, but you certainly
                will be now. If ME is not in the middle, hit M and it will be. Done.

                As for the (2), from the release notes:

                > Add (n) to the scrolling station/packet log if duplicates of a packet
                > are received via APRS-IS. This shouldn't normally happen except in
                > the event of close timing and/or multiple APRS-IS feeds into a single
                > instance (don't ask me how).

                If you are seeing (2), then you're running multiple APRS-IS feeds into a
                single instance. Depending on what all ports you have configured, this
                is possible, although some would say not recommended. APRSISCE/32
                supports a SINGLE xmit-capable APRS-IS instance configured as such.
                This is of the utmost importance to avoid potential looping scenarios
                that are very ugly (yes, I know, I had one in one of my experimental
                configurations).

                If you don't think you should be seeing duplicate packets from APRS-IS,
                please enable the Packets trace log along with Enables / Logging / File
                Enabled and let it run a while. Note the time(s) and station(s) that
                show the (2) and then close the client and e-mail that information along
                with your APRSIS32*.LOG files and APRSIS32.XML file to KJ4ERJ@....
                I'll see if I can figure out why you're seeing duplicate packets from
                the -IS.

                Note that this was always possible before, but APRSISCE/32 wasn't
                counting them nor showing the count. I added this to assist in tracking
                down some recently resolved issues in the core APRS-IS servers that had
                ANSRVR messaging a bit messed up. Actually, all APRS-IS-based messaging
                was a little be flakey for a few days, it was just obvious with the
                ANSRVR automatic keep-alives. But it's all better now, as of sometime
                yesterday evening.

                On 9/20/2011 6:54 PM, Rick wrote:
                > Lynn I know you made some changes as to this request, but what I was looking for does not work, I don't know if you made this change as I expected but here goes again.
                > If I'm on my laptop or PC and I press the "M" key it centers on ME
                > but does not announce that at the bottom of the screen, just a "S" for south, and I don't care about that. What I was looking for is if I press The "L" key it would announce at the bottom of the screen if I'm actually locked.
                >
                > Thanks
                > Rick-kd4dra
                >
                > P.S. what do the "[2]" after a call in the scrolling stations represent in the latest DEV.Release.
                >

                > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Rick"<kd4dra@...> wrote:
                >> Hi Lynn seems as tho you are in one of your devs. modes...
                >> Could you have a message on the bottom of the screen or
                >> somewhere that will inform you that you have lock on, just
                >> like it does for "Pan, pref" also ME if I'm following ME
                >>
                >> Thanks
                >> Rick-kd4dra

              • kd4dra
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 20, 2011
                  Sorry if I ruffled something, but that was not explained when the changes were made.
                  Or I didn't read that into the explanation of the changes. But I'll make do.

                  And as for running two IS instances I only have one APRSIS32 running on one PC, so I
                  don't know how that could be, but I'm not the smartest Cookie in the JAR.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 20, 2011
                    No, nothing ruffled, and I apologize if the tone sounded that way.  I should have answered your request with the explanation back then and avoided the misunderstanding.  It certainly wasn't clear in my write-up so you didn't miss anything there.

                    It's not the APRSISCE/32 instances, but the ports you may have configured feeding that instance.

                    Are you seeing the (2) on every packet or just a few?  I've noticed that firenet.us gives TWO "free" location updates around any message that is supplied through the filter.  That will show up with a (2), but it will be on very few packets, unless most of your packets are messages (a t/m filter, for instance).

                    If you could email your APRSIS32.XML file to KJ4ERJ@..., I'd like to take a look at it.

                    Also, if anyone else out there is seeing (n) numbers running in the scrolling station pane, I'd like to hear about it.  Maybe it happens more often than I think it should.  (And then again, maybe I have a bug in my dupe counter.  Given my track record recently, that's a distinct possibility).

                    On 9/20/2011 6:54 PM, Rick wrote:
                    > Lynn I know you made some changes as to this request, but what I was looking for does not work, I don't know if you made this change as I expected but here goes again.
                    > If I'm on my laptop or PC and I press the "M" key it centers on ME
                    > but does not announce that at the bottom of the screen, just a "S" for south, and I don't care about that. What I was looking for is if I press The "L" key it would announce at the bottom of the screen if I'm actually locked.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > Rick-kd4dra
                    >
                    > P.S. what do the "[2]" after a call in the scrolling stations represent in the latest DEV.Release.
                    >

                    > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Rick"<kd4dra@...> wrote:
                    >> Hi Lynn seems as tho you are in one of your devs. modes...
                    >> Could you have a message on the bottom of the screen or
                    >> somewhere that will inform you that you have lock on, just
                    >> like it does for "Pan, pref" also ME if I'm following ME
                    >>
                    >> Thanks
                    >> Rick-kd4dra

                  • Krzysztof
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 21, 2011

                      I have (2) marked packets/SSIDs on the scrolling list as well.

                      They are very few of them.

                      This is the same on WebDT with Built: 2011/09/19 23:22 and on PC with Built: 2011/09/21 00:58.

                      --

                      Regards,

                      Krzysztof

                      SQ5NWI

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 22, 2013

                          Lynn

                          When you get back to coding, can you do something about a ? responding with all the QRU groups. It happens when someone just send a ? as a query, as in I don’t understand sort of thing.

                          Some people seem to be slow on picking up the fact, ho hum

                          Steve Daniels

                          Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                          Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 23, 2013

                              No when they send ? as the only thing and to me, not QRU,  the response is to send all the QRU groups

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 23, 2013
                                hi folks,

                                sending a question mark to a specific callsign asks what kind of requests the software in use can give an answer to.

                                if among all items given by the software i.e. ?VER ?APRSS etc. the ham operator has created a QRU database this is mentioned as well but it is not an exclusive response to that.

                                that is why INFO send to QRU exists. but then again all QRU holders are mentioned and you have to pick the callsign you are interested in. (range is a factor! so you don't get the whole picture of a database of i.e. G6UIM).

                                for this ?APRSO had given the answer in former times. unfortunately that forced all objects to be transmitted instantly. it did that with all i.e. 300 QRU-objects at mine(DF8LS-10). i think Lynn has programmed it to an answer to ?APRSO only responding on the "normal" objects.

                                that is my input to the REQUEST subject.

                                73
                                Helge, DF8LS
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 23, 2013

                                  Hi Helge (Jerry)

                                  Lynn fixed the ?APRSO after I sank the UK under my objects.

                                  Perhaps ?QRU to get a list of groups, currently just sending a ? does that. In the UK ? gets used a lot for sorry I don’t understand/please explain

                                  Steve (Tom) Daniels