Ctrl-Arrow Pans (Dev: 2011/08/24 23:56)

    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 24, 2011
      Ok, I know Control-Arrow isn't the easiest thing to hold, but I'm doing
      this as a trial to see if 10 pixels per arrow key is good, bad, or
      otherwise.

    • Lou
      Message 34 of 34 , Aug 26, 2011
        I see what you talking about with the delay.  Probably a better way to do what you want it is for the program to make "assumptions" on you movement based on past movements, and sore of move the screen where it thinks you will be centered.  I know my Garmin GPS that I use on the car does that, it updates the screen assuming you will take the route it has mapped, but if you do not then it will jump to recenter you on the screen.  I see this all the time if I have deviated from its mapped out route.  So in reality there might not be a "better answer" for what you are looking to do, i.e. see what is ahead of you as you are moving, with out introducing some sort of jumping around.  Although thinking about it maybe you can specify a % of the screen it can be offset.

        For example say you specify 20%.  The program can calculate a new "center" based off of your "dead reckoning" direction.  If you appear to be heading North-East, the new center will be placed South-West of true center.

        On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

        IMAO, the centering is not purely a "hold until some distance is covered" whether a measured distance such as feet or some distance on the display such as some number of pixels. I see that now and for actual traveling, keeping the tracked location (usually ME) centered is a lot better than moving to the edge and updating based on some parameter.

        In the map software I use, for example, if I zoom to where the screen only shows a square mile and I am in the center, I do not get more map info until I am within say 1/3 mile from the screen edge. That is when it re-centers me. If I am moving, do I not want as much information in the direction I am headed as possible? That is why I think the keeping the screen still until I have moved is not right.

        This is why it would have to be smarter if it is to be better. If a way was developed to keep a tracked station closer to the edge it came from (and this really works best with ME since position updates are constant) then it may deal with the average of several updates. The old data is all that is available and it potentially could be used to make it smarter.

        Suffice it to say that staying centered on the last updated position is better than driving towards an edge. If you don't believe, go out and pick up some map software that only updates you to the center location once in awhile.

        Of course this is all IMAO or IMNSHO.