Delay connect message

  • jamesmhz
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 23, 2009
      Hi all,

      Firstly, thanks for such a great little program on the wm6 phone, loving it.

      I'm just having one thing confusing me though... forgive me it has been mentioned before but I have searched and couldn't find any mention.

      On my screen it comes up with "DELAYED CONNECT" at the top, I press transmit but don't see my call sign pop up on the live feed on the web, just wondering what could be the issue here, I'm most definate it's my side, always is haha

      Any assistance would be of great help. Thanks
      Sean Brad Inggs
      ZR5BBL
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 23, 2009
        The spot where it says "Delay Connect" is where it shows the current
        status of the APRS-IS connection. When all is working well, it should
        say "APRS OK". "Delay Connect" means that APRSISCE has attempted to
        connect and failed and is now in a holding pattern before attempting the
        next connection.

        Can you verify that you have a good data connection using Internet
        Explorer to your favorite web site first? If IE can't bring up a page,
        then APRSISCE most likely can't establish a connection either.

        In order to diagnose this further, I could use a copy of your .XML
        configuration file and a .LOG of the operation of APRSISCE. To get
        these files, follow the steps below:

        1) Turn on Debug Logging via Menu/Enables/Debug Logging
        2) Exit APRSISCE
        3) Restart APRSISCE (This captures the startup debug)
        4) Wait for the "Delay Connect" to appear.
        5) Turn off Debug Logging the same way it was turned on
        6) Exit APRSISCE

        You should have two files in My Documents which are also synch'd to your
        desktop if you sync your phone. They will be APRSISCE.XML (the
        configuration file) and APRSISCE.LOG (the debug log). It is important
        to make sure these files synchronized after APRSISCE was closed or they
        won't have the latest data.

        E-mail the files direct to KJ4ERJ@... please. I'll check into the
        configuration and the debug trace to see if I can figure out what's
        happening.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile

        jamesmhz wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > Firstly, thanks for such a great little program on the wm6 phone, loving it.
        >
        > I'm just having one thing confusing me though... forgive me it has been mentioned before but I have searched and couldn't find any mention.
        >
        > On my screen it comes up with "DELAYED CONNECT" at the top, I press transmit but don't see my call sign pop up on the live feed on the web, just wondering what could be the issue here, I'm most definate it's my side, always is haha
        >
        > Any assistance would be of great help. Thanks
        > Sean Brad Inggs
        > ZR5BBL

      • jamesmhz
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 23, 2009
          Hi Lynn,

          Thanks for the swift reply. You were right about the net connection there, there seems to be an issue (this is africa afterall,mobile internet gives issues), I'll do some more tests and if they continue after I've got a solid connection, I'll pop those files through :)

          > The spot where it says "Delay Connect" is where it shows the current
          > status of the APRS-IS connection. When all is working well, it should
          > say "APRS OK". "Delay Connect" means that APRSISCE has attempted to
          > connect and failed and is now in a holding pattern before attempting the
          > next connection.
          >
          > Can you verify that you have a good data connection using Internet
          > Explorer to your favorite web site first? If IE can't bring up a page,
          > then APRSISCE most likely can't establish a connection either.
          >
          > In order to diagnose this further, I could use a copy of your .XML
          > configuration file and a .LOG of the operation of APRSISCE. To get
          > these files, follow the steps below:
          >
          > 1) Turn on Debug Logging via Menu/Enables/Debug Logging
          > 2) Exit APRSISCE
          > 3) Restart APRSISCE (This captures the startup debug)
          > 4) Wait for the "Delay Connect" to appear.
          > 5) Turn off Debug Logging the same way it was turned on
          > 6) Exit APRSISCE
          >
          > You should have two files in My Documents which are also synch'd to your
          > desktop if you sync your phone. They will be APRSISCE.XML (the
          > configuration file) and APRSISCE.LOG (the debug log). It is important
          > to make sure these files synchronized after APRSISCE was closed or they
          > won't have the latest data.
          >
          > E-mail the files direct to KJ4ERJ@... please. I'll check into the
          > configuration and the debug trace to see if I can figure out what's
          > happening.
          >
          > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile
          >
          > jamesmhz wrote:
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > Firstly, thanks for such a great little program on the wm6 phone, loving it.
          > >
          > > I'm just having one thing confusing me though... forgive me it has been mentioned before but I have searched and couldn't find any mention.
          > >
          > > On my screen it comes up with "DELAYED CONNECT" at the top, I press transmit but don't see my call sign pop up on the live feed on the web, just wondering what could be the issue here, I'm most definate it's my side, always is haha
          > >
          > > Any assistance would be of great help. Thanks
          > > Sean Brad Inggs
          > > ZR5BBL

        • jamesmhz
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 23, 2009
            Hey Lynn,

            Got good news and bad news... good news, it works! Managed to get a solid connection via mobile internet. The bad news, it didn't last long. The issue is clearly the mobile ISP I have and will try sort it out. I saw my callsign pop up on the web aprs though which confirmed it's working.

            Thanks!
            Sean
            ZR5BBL

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 23, 2009
              That's certainly news! I'm glad you have it isolated.

              The APRSISCE.XML file is editable when the client is not running if
              you'd like to specify a different, possibly more-local APRS-IS server to
              connect to. I believe it ships connecting to one of the rotate level 2
              servers, but I'm not actually sure any more. Just make sure you connect
              to a filtered port (typically 14580) or you can rapidly overwhelm the
              best cellular data connection!

              I'll be watching for your station to get stabilized. Don't be surprised
              to receive an APRS message from KJ4ERJ-AP sometime!.

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

            • jamesmhz
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 23, 2009
                I'm looking forward to the message when I'm stable :)

                I didn't notice you could change servers till you mentioned, I took another squiz through the file and found it. Perhaps I'll try a number of servers and maybe that might also help.
                From the list at http://www.aprs-is.net/APRSServers.aspx I see there's none in South Africa but I'll ping around and find one that is close, who knows, might fix some connection issues.

                Looking forward to being online!

                > That's certainly news! I'm glad you have it isolated.
                >
                > The APRSISCE.XML file is editable when the client is not running if
                > you'd like to specify a different, possibly more-local APRS-IS server to
                > connect to. I believe it ships connecting to one of the rotate level 2
                > servers, but I'm not actually sure any more. Just make sure you connect
                > to a filtered port (typically 14580) or you can rapidly overwhelm the
                > best cellular data connection!
                >
                > I'll be watching for your station to get stabilized. Don't be surprised
                > to receive an APRS message from KJ4ERJ-AP sometime!.
                >
                > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
                >
                > jamesmhz wrote:
                > > Hey Lynn,
                > >
                > > Got good news and bad news... good news, it works! Managed to get a solid connection via mobile internet. The bad news, it didn't last long. The issue is clearly the mobile ISP I have and will try sort it out. I saw my callsign pop up on the web aprs though which confirmed it's working.
                > >
                > > Thanks!
                > > Sean
                > > ZR5BBL
                > >
                > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "jamesmhz" <brad@> wrote:
                > >
                > >> Hi Lynn,
                > >>
                > >> Thanks for the swift reply. You were right about the net connection there, there seems to be an issue (this is africa afterall,mobile internet gives issues), I'll do some more tests and if they continue after I've got a solid connection, I'll pop those files through :)

              • jamesmhz
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 23, 2009
                  Ok, sorted it out...

                  This is for anyone else that has a Blackjack 2 smartphone.

                  If you have connection issues be sure to check the following:

                  Start > Settings > Connections > GPRS (but dont click on it, click menu and go "advanced") then make sure "internet" is on your main internet ISP selection.

                  After that reboot and you shouldn't have any disconnections, delay connect etc. I did experience a slow seeking of GPS's, I went around that by loading my Garmin Mobile XT then once Garmin had sourced the birds I closed it and went back into APRSISCE which I left running, and the birds we all connected as well as my internet :)