Re: It's Ringy-Dingy Time Again

  • ve3xj
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011

      > I didn't say "on the D72". I said an NMEA port. If you look in
      > APRSISCE/32 under Configure / Ports / NMEA you'll see what I'm referring
      > to. If you have one of those configured to the same COM port that you
      > have the "TH-D72" (previously referred to as <YourPortName>), then
      > you'll have all of the issues you describe with dinging when you have
      > both the GPS and the TH-D72 ports enabled. Only one of them will be
      > able to open the COM port and the other will start dinging and retrying.

      That was indeed the case, I had NMEA on COM 4.   Again (at the risk of showing my utter ignorance), it is impossible for APRSISCE to send the data  the radio AND receive the GPS information from the D72.  That tells me, by inference, is that when I am beaconing, the lat /long data is not from the internal GPS in the D72, but iis derived from where the ME station is loccated, as directed by me.

      > > I am using the the interal GPS of the D72; there is no other GPS involved. As I have said over and over again, this set up weas working fine for the last two days. When I restarted the system, nothing was happening. After playinng silly bugger with it for a while (about 3 hours, it still does not work. It kept dinging evey 5 seconds or so. A could of times, a beacon did get out, but it shows my poition in the middle of Ottawa, not in Roc kland. On the other hand, the APRSISCE map show me in downtown Montreal. So there you have it. Finland shows me I am in the middle of Ottawa, APRSISCE shows me that I am in Montral and my D72, right beside me say I am at my home location in Rocklan., Not to be too obttuse, which one do I believe?
      >
      > Please select Screen / Follow / Me in APRSISCE/32 and see if it moves
      > you to a different place. If your D72's GPS has a fix, it's probably
      > right. If you manage to get that fix into APRSISCE/32 (Uncheck Enables
      > / Ports / TH-D72 and check Enables / GPS Enabled), and IF you have
      > APRSISCE/32 centered on me (as described above), then APRSISCE/32 should
      > begin agreeing with the D72.

      Done.

      > An easier way to set your position in APRSISCE/32 is to make sure
      > Enables / GPS Enabled is NOT checked (if it's disabled, then you don't
      > have one configured and it's automatically not checked, but I suspect
      > that's not your case). After you're sure that the GPS is disabled, then
      > drag and zoom the map so that the center is where you want to be and hit
      > Transmit. APRSISCE/32 will ask if you want to "Move ME to Center" to
      > which you would answer Yes if you want to be at the center of the
      > panned/zoomed map.

      Yes, I was able to do that.

      > aprs.fi (Finland, in your reference) is probably confused by the grid
      > square in your Status Report, so I'd recommend unchecking Configure /
      > Status / GridSquare (same as Configure / Status Report / GridSquare menu
      > item). After you quit beaconing that grid square and successfully
      > beacon a position, aprs.fi should start agreeing with everything else.

      I unchecked that box, then I hit the Transmit tab in APRSISCE and went to aprs.fi.  Finland agreed (perhaps to be more precise, Helsinki?).

      > > On top of that, I was able to recently able to stop the dinging by disenabling the GPS in the Enables tab and then re-enabiling it. There was a side benifit in that I am now decoding pacjets, showing the location of other stations. However, there is still no reponse when I hit the Transmit tab.
      >
      > With the GPS disabled, the Rf Port will finally be able to open the COM
      > port which is why you are now "decoding" (actually receiving) packets.
      > However, given that you're receiving packets, that tells me that your
      > D72 isn't sending out GPS data anyway because that's an either/or, but
      > not both, choice. By the same token, hitting Transmit with the GPS
      > disabled should be asking about moving Me.

      Indeed it did.

      > > So what do I do next?
      >
      > See above. And please e-mail your APRSIS32.XML fil eto KJ4ERJ@...

      OK.  I went into my directory and found an APRSISCE file that said it is an XML document, so I will e-mail it to you.

      > > Yeah, I understand that Lynn, but that is not what is happening since I have been at it since this morning. When I hit the transmit tab, nothing happens.
      >
      > Because, if I understand you correctly, until just a bit ago, you had
      > the GPS enabled. With GPS enabled, Transmit doesn't ask about moving
      > ME. Only with a non-configured or disabled GPS is that question asked.
      >
      > > There is no point in chastising me for using a UI trick or anything else like that. I haven't the foggiest notiion of what UI is. I have heard of it, and that is the extent of my expertise. Please consider me an idiot in theese matters - I am only a user, I have no expertise in these matters.
      >
      > My apologies if it sounded like chastising, but that would be a common
      > reason for users to think they can configure a single COM port for both
      > NMEA and APRS interfaces. I was only trying to point out that you can
      > use a given COM port for NMEA or for APRS/RfPort, but not both at the
      > same time. Eventually there'll be a way to glean GPS data from an APRS
      > stream for those devices that provided the interleaved data, but it
      > won't require configuring an NMEA port to match the RF port.

      So, since I cannot confiure the APRSISCE data going to the radio and have it read the internal GPS, is there any way in which I can pick-up my laptop, and the D72 and hop in the car and have it track me on the screen using the D72 as my GPS?  Or, is the only way to plot ME on the APRISCE screen while I am out and about is to "eyeball" my position so to speak?  (Actually, I run a Garmin Zumo in my car and from time-to-time my Garmin oregon, so I can get their data, and acutally see where I am.  Even by hitting the POS button on the D72m it currently shown my Maidenhead and Lat/Long.  So it is not quite as bleak as  one might think at first).

      By the way, what are the chances of getting an MGRS (miloitary grid refernce system)  readout.  It would be handy to get a Grid Reference so that it can be easily plotted on a topo map, usually used by operational centres, at least up here in Canada.

      Anyways, let me send you that file., and thanks for your patience.  I am sure that you are justas annoyed as I was wondering what the heck I was doing...

      73

      Jim, VE3XJ