Re: [aprsisce] It's Ringy-Dingy Time Again

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011
      Bring up Enables / View Logs / <YourPortName> and tell me what it is
      complaining about. Typical problems include:

      1) Something else owning the COM port
      2) Plugged in to a different USB port changing the COMn number

      If you're not getting dinging (it says <YourPortName> OK along with
      APRS-IS OK), but you're not getting any RF packets (*s in the scrolling
      station log):

      3) D72 TNC was in the wrong mode when APRSISCE/32 was started or the
      port was last enabled.

      Note: To see everything going on on your RF port, click Enable on the
      trace log's menu bar after opening it as described above.

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011
        Is this APRSISCE (Windows Mobile) or APRSIS32 (desktop)?

        What platform are you running on? (Windows version or phone model)

        Do you have a GPS configured or are you using the GPSapi-supported WinMo
        GPS?

        "has had me located" means exactly what? As seen on your APRSISCE/32
        screen or via some other APRS client?

        What callsign-SSID are we talking about? And is it unique when compared
        with any other -SSID used for your callsign on any other APRS client or
        hardware device.

        On 8/2/2011 12:28 PM, ve3xj wrote:
        > I forgot to mention, APRSISCE has had me located in Ottawa and Mntreal at various time,even showing a moving track!
        >
        > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "ve3xj"<ve3xj@...> wrote:
        >> Greetings
        >>
        >> Well, I plugged in everything this morning, and it dfidf ork. To make a long story short, I went ovewr and looked at a lot of parameters, but now I am at the point of being really fraxxlref.
        >>
        >> Usding a D72. After I got it going on Sunday, It worrked fine all day yeasterday, but now I am the point where the Laptop dings every 5 seconds or so, and I am not decoding any reced packets.
        >>
        >> Can anyone hlep?
        >>
        >> Jim, VE3XJ

      • ve3xj
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011

          Lynn:

          See me answer in bold interspecred with your questions.

          > Is this APRSISCE (Windows Mobile) or APRSIS32 (desktop)?
          >Desktop

          > What platform are you running on? (Windows version or phone model)

          Windows version

          > Do you have a GPS configured or are you using the GPSapi-supported WinMo
          > GPS?

          I am using the interval GPS of the D72

          > "has had me located" means exactly what? As seen on your APRSISCE/32
          > screen or via some other APRS client?

          The APRSISCE screen has had me variously located in Montreal, Ottawa asnd for a while back, at my home location.  Aprs.fi shows me in the middle of Ottawa at the current time.  My true location is at FN25IM at Rockland, Ontario.  The interal GPS of the D72 shows me that my POS is FM25IM.

          > What callsign-SSID are we talking about? And is it unique when compared
          > with any other -SSID used for your callsign on any other APRS client or
          > hardware device.
          My call that I am using with APRSISCE is VE3XJ.

          Do you have Skype?  If so, maybe we can talk.  My skype address is ve3xj1.

          > On 8/2/2011 12:28 PM, ve3xj wrote:
          > > I forgot to mention, APRSISCE has had me located in Ottawa and Mntreal at various time,even showing a moving track!
          > >
          > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "ve3xj"ve3xj@ wrote:
          > >> Greetings
          > >>
          > >> Well, I plugged in everything this morning, and it dfidf ork. To make a long story short, I went ovewr and looked at a lot of parameters, but now I am at the point of being really fraxxlref.
          > >>
          > >> Usding a D72. After I got it going on Sunday, It worrked fine all day yeasterday, but now I am the point where the Laptop dings every 5 seconds or so, and I am not decoding any reced packets.
          > >>
          > >> Can anyone hlep?
          > >>
          > >> Jim, VE3XJ

        • ve3xj
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011
            Here is a copy of the last few lines...

            TH-D72:2011-08-02T17:31:28.091 Opening COM4 Got -1 Error 5
            TH-D72:2011-08-02T17:31:28.091 Status 0 Error 0 At 228 in c:\cvstest\code\aprs\aprsisce\cprtns.c
            TH-D72:2011-08-02T17:31:28.091 Error Opening COM4:9600,N,8,1 LastError 0
            TH-D72:2011-08-02T17:31:33.212 Opening COM4:9600,N,8,1
            TH-D72:2011-08-02T17:31:33.212 Opening COM4 with 4 Args
            TH-D72:2011-08-02T17:31:33.212 Opening COM4 Got -1 Error 5
            TH-D72:2011-08-02T17:31:33.212 Status 0 Error 0 At 228 in c:\cvstest\code\aprs\aprsisce\cprtns.c
            TH-D72:2011-08-02T17:31:33.212 Error Opening COM4:9600,N,8,1 LastError 0
            TH-D72:2011-08-02T17:31:38.333 Opening COM4:9600,N,8,1
            TH-D72:2011-08-02T17:31:38.333 Opening COM4 with 4 Args
            TH-D72:2011-08-02T17:31:38.333 Opening COM4 Got -1 Error 5
            TH-D72:2011-08-02T17:31:38.333 Status 0 Error 0 At 228 in c:\cvstest\code\aprs\aprsisce\cprtns.c
            TH-D72:2011-08-02T17:31:38.333 Error Opening COM4:9600,N,8,1 LastError 0

            I hope that is enough.

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011
              On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 11:25 AM, ve3xj <ve3xj@...> wrote:

              > > Do you have a GPS configured or are you using the GPSapi-supported WinMo
              > > GPS?
              > >

              > I am using the interval GPS of the D72

              How are you getting access to the GPS data from the D72?

              You can't get access to the GPS data in the D72 via a connected
              computer while playing APRS in KISS mode, which is how Lynn likes to
              control these radios.

              > The APRSISCE screen has had me variously located in Montreal,
              > Ottawa asnd for a while back, at my home location.

              The APRSISCE screen doesn't tell you where you are located, you tell
              APRSISCE/32 where you are located using the map on the screen. If you
              center on Timbuktu, and press transmit, and then answer yes to the
              "Move me to Center?" question, you are telling APRSISCE/32 that you
              would like to be located in Timbuktu.

              The error 5 says that the com port you are trying to access is already
              being accessed by another program. Lynn just posted that answer less
              than 24 hours ago.

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011
                James hit the nail on the head with this one. Error 5 is Access Denied
                which means that some other software is accessing COM4. Clsoe that
                software and you should be able to move forward on that front.

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011
                • ve3xj
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011

                    > On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 11:25 AM, ve3xj ve3xj@... wrote:
                    >
                    > > > Do you have a GPS configured or are you using the GPSapi-supported WinMo
                    > > > GPS?
                    > > >

                    > > I am using the interval GPS of the D72
                    >
                    > How are you getting access to the GPS data from the D72?

                    Through the USN cable that runs between the radio and the computer.
                    > You can't get access to the GPS data in the D72 via a connected
                    > computer while playing APRS in KISS mode, which is how Lynn likes to
                    > control these radios.

                    Really?  Then how does one  explain how I was able to do it yesterday and the day before just fine?

                    > > The APRSISCE screen has had me variously located in Montreal,
                    > > Ottawa asnd for a while back, at my home location.
                    >
                    > The APRSISCE screen doesn't tell you where you are located, you tell
                    > APRSISCE/32 where you are located using the map on the screen. If you
                    > center on Timbuktu, and press transmit, and then answer yes to the
                    > "Move me to Center?" question, you are telling APRSISCE/32 that you
                    > would like to be located in Timbuktu.

                    Tis is the crux of the problem.  When I press the Transmit tab, nothing happens.  Nothing, nada, a handful of nothing.  It just sits there like  blob.  Even if if I left click on my location on the screen then go to the Lat/long line of my location, click that, I then clicked on "Move ME to this location".  Nothing happens, According to ASPRISCE, I am lcated in Montreal, regardless oif reality, or by telling it wherre I should be.  ASPSISCE has indicated that it doesn't give a rat's rump where I really am, it is going to put my icon where it wants me to be.

                    > The error 5 says that the com port you are trying to access is already
                    > being accessed by another program. Lynn just posted that answer less
                    > than 24 hours ago.

                    I will try to look for that message, but if you can recall the message number, I wpi;d a[[reciate it.

                    73\Jim, VE3XJ

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011
                      Will the real VE3XJ please stand up?  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Tell_the_Truth)

                      Ok, you've been doing some really strange things with your -SSIDs and such to the point that I'm not sure what you mean.  For instance:

                      http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VE3XJ-7 - Shows that you were both a D72 and APRSISCE/32 back on 7/31.

                      http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VE3XJ-3 - Shows that you were mostly a D72, but sent messages from APRSISCE/32 on 7/31.

                      http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VE3XJ-1 - Looks like only a D72 back on 7/29

                      http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VE3XJ&limit=1000&view=normal - Looks like this is your APRSISCE/32 station from 7/31 through 8/2.  However, the following selected packets do show you moving around a bit, possibly while you were configuring the client.

                      2011-07-31 23:43:24 UTC: VE3XJ>APWW08,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VA2PHL:@234341h4531.91N/07518.75WlAPRS-IS for Win32
                      2011-08-01 12:37:22 UTC: VE3XJ>APWW08,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VA2PHL:@123737h4531.91N/07518.75WlAPRS-IS for Win32
                      2011-08-01 12:37:36 UTC: VE3XJ>APWW08,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VA2PHL:@123754h4531.87N/07518.72WlAPRS-IS for Win32
                      2011-08-01 12:44:36 UTC: VE3XJ>APWW08,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VA2PHL:@124453h4531.87N/07518.72WlListening 146.700 Mhz (135.6) & 147.330 Mhz
                      2011-08-02 01:13:13 UTC: VE3XJ>APWW08,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VA2PHL:@011330h4531.87N/07518.72WlJim in Rockland, ON. Listening 146.700 Mhz (135.6) & 147.330 Mhz
                      2011-08-02 12:36:57 UTC: VE3XJ>APWW08,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VA2PHL:@123715h4524.13N/07542.82WlJim in Rockland, ON. Listening 146.700 Mhz (135.6) & 147.330 Mhz
                      2011-08-02 13:35:24 UTC: VE3XJ>APWW08,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VA2PHL:@133540h4524.13N/07542.82WlJim in Rockland, ON. Listening 146.700 Mhz (135.6) & 147.330 Mhz
                      2011-08-02 14:02:25 UTC: VE3XJ>APWW08,VE2REH-3,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,VE2FET-1:@140241h4524.13N/07542.82Wl(FORCE)PHG3000Jim in Rockland, ON. Listening 146.700 Mhz (135.6) & 147.330 Mhz
                      2011-08-02 14:04:20 UTC: VE3XJ>APWW08,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VA2PHL:>FN25dj/l APRSISCE/32

                      But that final packet is probably the one that is giving aprs.fi some grief.  You transmitted a status packet that says you should be in FN25dj and I believe aprs.fi will put your station in the middle of that grid square upon receiving that packet.  Given that similar status packets are interspersed with your actual position beacons, you'd be bouncing around a bit in that configuration.

                      If you don't have a GPS position, then you can use a grid square in a status report.  If you're transmitting an actual position, you should not transmit a status report grid square as the varying precision will cause remote viewers to not really know which one to believe at any particular point in time.

                      James correctly indicated that APRSISCE/32 prefers to use KISS TNCs.  However, I do support some Kenwood-specific modes so the next thing we need to know is what type of port you have configured to talk to your D72.  If it is KISS, then the radio will do nothing while APRSISCE/32 is controlling it.  If it is one of the Kenwood modes, then some other things come into play that can be very confusing.

                      Until you get past the COM4 open error, your log file won't help us (me) figure out which port type you're using from APRSISCE/32 to the D72.  That'll be the next thing we'll probably be asking.  If you could e-mail your APRSIS32.XML file to KJ4ERJ@..., I can tell from there.

                      Also, since it appears your intent is to interface APRSISCE/32 to RF via the D72, you might want to shorten your beacon comment.  Shorter packets are more likely to get through and are more friendly to the shared channel.  Once you're comfortable with APRSISCE/32's Genius Beaconing (or if you don't really have a GPS connected), then you probably want to uncheck Configure / Beacon / Why as well.

                      PS.  Thanks for the Skype offer, but I prefer to do most support here on the list so others can learn what to look at and what the solutions are to various issues.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011
                        On 8/2/2011 4:03 PM, ve3xj wrote:

                        > How are you getting access to the GPS data from the D72?

                        Through the USN cable that runs between the radio and the computer.
                        > You can't get access to the GPS data in the D72 via a connected
                        > computer while playing APRS in KISS mode, which is how Lynn likes to
                        > control these radios.

                        Really?  Then how does one  explain how I was able to do it yesterday and the day before just fine?

                        Ok, let me guess.  You have an NMEA port configured to talk to the D72 and have an RF Port configured to talk to the SAME COM port?  That's a UI-View trick that APRSISCE/32 doesn't support and would cause open errors on one or the other depending on which thread got the port open first.

                        Tis is the crux of the problem.  When I press the Transmit tab, nothing happens.  Nothing, nada, a handful of nothing.  It just sits there like  blob.  Even if if I left click on my location on the screen then go to the Lat/long line of my location, click that, I then clicked on "Move ME to this location".  Nothing happens, According to ASPRISCE, I am lcated in Montreal, regardless oif reality, or by telling it wherre I should be.  ASPSISCE has indicated that it doesn't give a rat's rump where I really am, it is going to put my icon where it wants me to be.

                        If you have a GPS configured and Enabled, then Transmit does just that, it transmits where the GPS says you are located.  If you disable the GPS (or have none configured), then Transmit will ask if you'd like to move to the center.

                      • Nigel A. Gunn, W8IFF/G8IFF
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011
                          According to Kenwood, the radio can be set to EITHER extract sentences
                          from the GPS OR talk to the TNC, not both simultaneously.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011
                            On 8/2/2011 4:03 PM, ve3xj wrote:

                            > How are you getting access to the GPS data from the D72?

                            Through the USN cable that runs between the radio and the computer.

                            It is my understanding that when the D72 is configured to pass the internal GPS data through to the PC, then none of the APRS data comes through, but that understanding could be flawed.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011

                              > On 8/2/2011 4:03 PM, ve3xj wrote:
                              > >

                              > > > How are you getting access to the GPS data from the D72?
                              > > >

                              > > *Through the USN cable that runs between the radio and the computer.
                              > > *> You can't get access to the GPS data in the D72 via a connected
                              > > > computer while playing APRS in KISS mode, which is how Lynn likes to
                              > > > control these radios.
                              > > >

                              > > Really? Then how does one explain how I was able to do it yesterday
                              > > and the day before just fine?
                              > >

                              > Ok, let me guess. You have an NMEA port configured to talk to the D72
                              > and have an RF Port configured to talk to the SAME COM port? That's a
                              > UI-View trick that APRSISCE/32 doesn't support and would cause open
                              > errors on one or the other depending on which thread got the port open
                              > first.

                              There is no NEMA port on the D72 to configure,. as you have suggested. I think we are talking about two different issues here and we are confusing each other.

                              I am using the the interal GPS of the D72; there is no other GPS involved. As I have said over and over again, this set up weas working fine for the last two days. When I restarted the system, nothing was happening. After playinng silly bugger with it for a while (about 3 hours, it still does not work. It kept dinging evey 5 seconds or so. A could of times, a beacon did get out, but it shows my poition in the middle of Ottawa, not in Roc kland. On the other hand, the APRSISCE map show me in downtown Montreal. So there you have it. Finland shows me I am in the middle of Ottawa, APRSISCE shows me that I am in Montral and my D72, right beside me say I am at my home location in Rocklan., Not to be too obttuse, which one do I believe?

                              On top of that, I was able to recently able to stop the dinging by disenabling the GPS in the Enables tab and then re-enabiling it. There was a side benifit in that I am now decoding pacjets, showing the location of other stations. However, there is still no reponse when I hit the Transmit tab.

                              So what do I do next?
                              > > Tis is the crux of the problem. When I press the Transmit tab,
                              > > nothing happens. Nothing, nada, a handful of nothing. It just sits
                              > > there like blob. Even if if I left click on my location on the
                              > > screen then go to the Lat/long line of my location, click that, I then
                              > > clicked on "Move ME to this location". Nothing happens, According to
                              > > ASPRISCE, I am lcated in Montreal, regardless oif reality, or by
                              > > telling it wherre I should be. ASPSISCE has indicated that it doesn't
                              > > give a rat's rump where I really am, it is going to put my icon where
                              > > it wants me to be.
                              >
                              > If you have a GPS configured and Enabled, then Transmit does just that,
                              > it transmits where the GPS says you are located. If you disable the GPS
                              > (or have none configured), then Transmit will ask if you'd like to move
                              > to the center.

                              Yeah, I understand that Lynn, but that is not what is happening since I have been at it since this morning. When I hit the transmit tab, nothing happens.

                              There is no point in chastising me for using a UI trick or anything else like that. I haven't the foggiest notiion of what UI is. I have heard of it, and that is the extent of my expertise. Please consider me an idiot in theese matters - I am only a user, I have no expertise in these matters.

                              73 Jim, VE3XJ

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011
                                On 8/2/2011 4:29 PM, ve3xj wrote:

                                >> Ok, let me guess. You have an NMEA port configured to talk to the D72
                                >> and have an RF Port configured to talk to the SAME COM port? That's a
                                >> UI-View trick that APRSISCE/32 doesn't support and would cause open
                                >> errors on one or the other depending on which thread got the port open
                                >> first.
                                >>
                                > There is no NEMA port on the D72 to configure,. as you have suggested. I think we are talking about two different issues here and we are confusing each other.

                                I didn't say "on the D72". I said an NMEA port. If you look in
                                APRSISCE/32 under Configure / Ports / NMEA you'll see what I'm referring
                                to. If you have one of those configured to the same COM port that you
                                have the "TH-D72" (previously referred to as <YourPortName>), then
                                you'll have all of the issues you describe with dinging when you have
                                both the GPS and the TH-D72 ports enabled. Only one of them will be
                                able to open the COM port and the other will start dinging and retrying.

                                > I am using the the interal GPS of the D72; there is no other GPS involved. As I have said over and over again, this set up weas working fine for the last two days. When I restarted the system, nothing was happening. After playinng silly bugger with it for a while (about 3 hours, it still does not work. It kept dinging evey 5 seconds or so. A could of times, a beacon did get out, but it shows my poition in the middle of Ottawa, not in Roc kland. On the other hand, the APRSISCE map show me in downtown Montreal. So there you have it. Finland shows me I am in the middle of Ottawa, APRSISCE shows me that I am in Montral and my D72, right beside me say I am at my home location in Rocklan., Not to be too obttuse, which one do I believe?

                                Please select Screen / Follow / Me in APRSISCE/32 and see if it moves
                                you to a different place. If your D72's GPS has a fix, it's probably
                                right. If you manage to get that fix into APRSISCE/32 (Uncheck Enables
                                / Ports / TH-D72 and check Enables / GPS Enabled), and IF you have
                                APRSISCE/32 centered on me (as described above), then APRSISCE/32 should
                                begin agreeing with the D72.

                                An easier way to set your position in APRSISCE/32 is to make sure
                                Enables / GPS Enabled is NOT checked (if it's disabled, then you don't
                                have one configured and it's automatically not checked, but I suspect
                                that's not your case). After you're sure that the GPS is disabled, then
                                drag and zoom the map so that the center is where you want to be and hit
                                Transmit. APRSISCE/32 will ask if you want to "Move ME to Center" to
                                which you would answer Yes if you want to be at the center of the
                                panned/zoomed map.

                                aprs.fi (Finland, in your reference) is probably confused by the grid
                                square in your Status Report, so I'd recommend unchecking Configure /
                                Status / GridSquare (same as Configure / Status Report / GridSquare menu
                                item). After you quit beaconing that grid square and successfully
                                beacon a position, aprs.fi should start agreeing with everything else.

                                > On top of that, I was able to recently able to stop the dinging by disenabling the GPS in the Enables tab and then re-enabiling it. There was a side benifit in that I am now decoding pacjets, showing the location of other stations. However, there is still no reponse when I hit the Transmit tab.

                                With the GPS disabled, the Rf Port will finally be able to open the COM
                                port which is why you are now "decoding" (actually receiving) packets.
                                However, given that you're receiving packets, that tells me that your
                                D72 isn't sending out GPS data anyway because that's an either/or, but
                                not both, choice. By the same token, hitting Transmit with the GPS
                                disabled should be asking about moving Me.

                                See above. And please e-mail your APRSIS32.XML fil eto KJ4ERJ@....

                                > Yeah, I understand that Lynn, but that is not what is happening since I have been at it since this morning. When I hit the transmit tab, nothing happens.

                                Because, if I understand you correctly, until just a bit ago, you had
                                the GPS enabled. With GPS enabled, Transmit doesn't ask about moving
                                ME. Only with a non-configured or disabled GPS is that question asked.

                                > There is no point in chastising me for using a UI trick or anything else like that. I haven't the foggiest notiion of what UI is. I have heard of it, and that is the extent of my expertise. Please consider me an idiot in theese matters - I am only a user, I have no expertise in these matters.

                                My apologies if it sounded like chastising, but that would be a common
                                reason for users to think they can configure a single COM port for both
                                NMEA and APRS interfaces. I was only trying to point out that you can
                                use a given COM port for NMEA or for APRS/RfPort, but not both at the
                                same time. Eventually there'll be a way to glean GPS data from an APRS
                                stream for those devices that provided the interleaved data, but it
                                won't require configuring an NMEA port to match the RF port.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011
                                  Note that if the ME is already at the center of the screen (meaning you
                                  haven't panned or zoomed to somewhere else), then APRSISCE/32 won't ask
                                  about moving ME either, but will simply transmit!

                                  Lynn (D)- KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011
                                    Just so you might understand why you are moving around...

                                    45 31.87N 75 18.72W Puts you in Rockland.
                                    45 24.13N 75 42.82W Puts you in Ottawa.
                                    45 31.91N 75 18.75W Puts you in Rockland.
                                    FN35fm Puts you in Montreal.
                                    FN25dj Puts you in Ottawa.

                                    All of these are locations that you have been sending out as your
                                    location. If you send a location, your icon will end up there.

                                    You also have FN25IM in your auto answer message which would put you
                                    in Rockland, but it isn't in a decodable format for placing you on the
                                    map.

                                    I would venture to guess that NONE of those locations were GPS derived
                                    as a D72 inside a house would wander around and you would show a
                                    number of locations around a central point as the GPS wander makes it
                                    look like you are moving about slightly.

                                    Only 2 out of 5 locations you are reporting are close to where you
                                    want to be, so at best you'll be at home 40% of the time if you keep
                                    sending conflicting information.

                                    Try setting a stationary station up with APRSISCE/32 without the D72
                                    connected. Get that sitting still, and then work on adding more bits
                                    and pieces to the picture.

                                    Take it one step at a time and you might start to see the forest for the trees.

                                  • ve3xj
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011

                                      > I didn't say "on the D72". I said an NMEA port. If you look in
                                      > APRSISCE/32 under Configure / Ports / NMEA you'll see what I'm referring
                                      > to. If you have one of those configured to the same COM port that you
                                      > have the "TH-D72" (previously referred to as <YourPortName>), then
                                      > you'll have all of the issues you describe with dinging when you have
                                      > both the GPS and the TH-D72 ports enabled. Only one of them will be
                                      > able to open the COM port and the other will start dinging and retrying.

                                      That was indeed the case, I had NMEA on COM 4.   Again (at the risk of showing my utter ignorance), it is impossible for APRSISCE to send the data  the radio AND receive the GPS information from the D72.  That tells me, by inference, is that when I am beaconing, the lat /long data is not from the internal GPS in the D72, but iis derived from where the ME station is loccated, as directed by me.

                                      > > I am using the the interal GPS of the D72; there is no other GPS involved. As I have said over and over again, this set up weas working fine for the last two days. When I restarted the system, nothing was happening. After playinng silly bugger with it for a while (about 3 hours, it still does not work. It kept dinging evey 5 seconds or so. A could of times, a beacon did get out, but it shows my poition in the middle of Ottawa, not in Roc kland. On the other hand, the APRSISCE map show me in downtown Montreal. So there you have it. Finland shows me I am in the middle of Ottawa, APRSISCE shows me that I am in Montral and my D72, right beside me say I am at my home location in Rocklan., Not to be too obttuse, which one do I believe?
                                      >
                                      > Please select Screen / Follow / Me in APRSISCE/32 and see if it moves
                                      > you to a different place. If your D72's GPS has a fix, it's probably
                                      > right. If you manage to get that fix into APRSISCE/32 (Uncheck Enables
                                      > / Ports / TH-D72 and check Enables / GPS Enabled), and IF you have
                                      > APRSISCE/32 centered on me (as described above), then APRSISCE/32 should
                                      > begin agreeing with the D72.

                                      Done.

                                      > An easier way to set your position in APRSISCE/32 is to make sure
                                      > Enables / GPS Enabled is NOT checked (if it's disabled, then you don't
                                      > have one configured and it's automatically not checked, but I suspect
                                      > that's not your case). After you're sure that the GPS is disabled, then
                                      > drag and zoom the map so that the center is where you want to be and hit
                                      > Transmit. APRSISCE/32 will ask if you want to "Move ME to Center" to
                                      > which you would answer Yes if you want to be at the center of the
                                      > panned/zoomed map.

                                      Yes, I was able to do that.

                                      > aprs.fi (Finland, in your reference) is probably confused by the grid
                                      > square in your Status Report, so I'd recommend unchecking Configure /
                                      > Status / GridSquare (same as Configure / Status Report / GridSquare menu
                                      > item). After you quit beaconing that grid square and successfully
                                      > beacon a position, aprs.fi should start agreeing with everything else.

                                      I unchecked that box, then I hit the Transmit tab in APRSISCE and went to aprs.fi.  Finland agreed (perhaps to be more precise, Helsinki?).

                                      > > On top of that, I was able to recently able to stop the dinging by disenabling the GPS in the Enables tab and then re-enabiling it. There was a side benifit in that I am now decoding pacjets, showing the location of other stations. However, there is still no reponse when I hit the Transmit tab.
                                      >
                                      > With the GPS disabled, the Rf Port will finally be able to open the COM
                                      > port which is why you are now "decoding" (actually receiving) packets.
                                      > However, given that you're receiving packets, that tells me that your
                                      > D72 isn't sending out GPS data anyway because that's an either/or, but
                                      > not both, choice. By the same token, hitting Transmit with the GPS
                                      > disabled should be asking about moving Me.

                                      Indeed it did.

                                      > > So what do I do next?
                                      >
                                      > See above. And please e-mail your APRSIS32.XML fil eto KJ4ERJ@...

                                      OK.  I went into my directory and found an APRSISCE file that said it is an XML document, so I will e-mail it to you.

                                      > > Yeah, I understand that Lynn, but that is not what is happening since I have been at it since this morning. When I hit the transmit tab, nothing happens.
                                      >
                                      > Because, if I understand you correctly, until just a bit ago, you had
                                      > the GPS enabled. With GPS enabled, Transmit doesn't ask about moving
                                      > ME. Only with a non-configured or disabled GPS is that question asked.
                                      >
                                      > > There is no point in chastising me for using a UI trick or anything else like that. I haven't the foggiest notiion of what UI is. I have heard of it, and that is the extent of my expertise. Please consider me an idiot in theese matters - I am only a user, I have no expertise in these matters.
                                      >
                                      > My apologies if it sounded like chastising, but that would be a common
                                      > reason for users to think they can configure a single COM port for both
                                      > NMEA and APRS interfaces. I was only trying to point out that you can
                                      > use a given COM port for NMEA or for APRS/RfPort, but not both at the
                                      > same time. Eventually there'll be a way to glean GPS data from an APRS
                                      > stream for those devices that provided the interleaved data, but it
                                      > won't require configuring an NMEA port to match the RF port.

                                      So, since I cannot confiure the APRSISCE data going to the radio and have it read the internal GPS, is there any way in which I can pick-up my laptop, and the D72 and hop in the car and have it track me on the screen using the D72 as my GPS?  Or, is the only way to plot ME on the APRISCE screen while I am out and about is to "eyeball" my position so to speak?  (Actually, I run a Garmin Zumo in my car and from time-to-time my Garmin oregon, so I can get their data, and acutally see where I am.  Even by hitting the POS button on the D72m it currently shown my Maidenhead and Lat/Long.  So it is not quite as bleak as  one might think at first).

                                      By the way, what are the chances of getting an MGRS (miloitary grid refernce system)  readout.  It would be handy to get a Grid Reference so that it can be easily plotted on a topo map, usually used by operational centres, at least up here in Canada.

                                      Anyways, let me send you that file., and thanks for your patience.  I am sure that you are justas annoyed as I was wondering what the heck I was doing...

                                      73

                                      Jim, VE3XJ