Tracking my position.

  • rvalero54
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2011
      I thought I had everything right..., I gave my hand held D72a to my wife a told her to drive around the block and make a few turns. I wanted to see if I could see her tracks on the aprsisce application.

      Nothing moved..., Iam seeing the car icoms sput along the map with little trails, (Very Nice)!

      Can someone point me to some configuration page so that I can implement this action?

      Thank You much!
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2011
        I'm not clear on what you expected that you didn't see? If you saw "car
        icons sput along", then what's missing? Or was your D72a's station not
        moving? Did you have the D72 connected to APRSISCE/32 or were you
        attempting to monitor her movements from home? Do you have mobile
        Internet access if the former and was the D72 getting to a local Igate
        if the latter?

        If you provide callsign-SSIDs, we might be able to look a little deeper,
        but first a clearer and more detailed expression of expectations and
        actual results would be helpful as well.

        On 8/2/2011 3:57 AM, rvalero54 wrote:
        > I thought I had everything right..., I gave my hand held D72a to my wife a told her to drive around the block and make a few turns. I wanted to see if I could see her tracks on the aprsisce application.
        >
        > Nothing moved..., Iam seeing the car icoms sput along the map with little trails, (Very Nice)!
        >
        > Can someone point me to some configuration page so that I can implement this action?
        >
        > Thank You much!
      • Rick Valero
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2011

          Sorry…, I was unclear.

          What I was hoping to see was my station moving.

          No need to reply, still researching, I’ll get back when I have a more definitive problem.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2011
            Just to set expectations (and add to the confusion).  What is "m,y station"?  If it's the D72, then APRSISCE/32 will only show that if the APRS packet from the D72 is getting to APRSISCE/32 for display.  If it is APRSISCE/32's station, then that will only move if you have a source of live GPS data provided to APRSISCE/32.

            One use of a non-RF, Internet-connected instance of APRSISCE/32 being used mobile inside a vehicle that is also tracking via RF APRS is that you can see where the RF station was based on the last packet received and routed into APRS-IS and subsequently to the mobile instance.  If that same mobile instance has it's own GPS (most WinMo phones do), then you can see the realtime position of the phone's position and the periodic "catch-up" when an RF beacon fires and makes it through an IGate.

            (Yes, I'm constantly looking for ways to avoid highway hypnosis when on a long road trip.  Goes along with playing games with the Red Dot (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/red-dot))

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2011
              On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

              > Just to set expectations (and add to the confusion).  What is "m,y station"?

              Rick's callsign is KF7QYC.

              > If it's the D72,

              Rick hasn't had a D72 on the air under that callsign where it was able
              to get into the APRS-IS yet, so we can't see if he's doing anything
              with the D72 yet.

            • Rick Valero
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011

                “My Station” is ME (the little house icon) on the map.

                I am assuming that my D72a  is sending APRS packets to APRSISCE/32 because it indicates “APRS is OK” and “FIRST” (on the second line) Still looking for tracks…, will research further.

                Like I said the D72a is the only device I own, next week I plan to buy one for my wife after see passes her Technicians exam.

                Thanks for all you help.