Re: [aprsisce] Size of Station Heard List

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2011
      On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Eric Weder <eaweder@...> wrote:

      > The list of stations heard at the top right is set to 6. How do you increase
      > this to show more stations?

      Unless Lynn has changed something lately, there is no stations heard
      list in the top right. There is a scrolling station list on the left
      side of the screen. If you're in wide orientation you'll see the last
      6 stations that initiated packets listed. If you are in narrow
      orientation you'll see as many as can be listed down the left side of
      your screen.

      Choose orientation under:

      Configure | Screen | Orientation

      where you can choose from:

      Wide
      Narrow
      Automatic

    • Eric Weder
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2011
        Thanks James, a bit of dyslexia there ... that's the answer I was looking
        for - perhaps the wide / narrow description is a bit non-intuitive.

        Eric

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
          If you do a Screen / Follow / Find, the drop-down contains a list of all
          of the currently known stations and objects. But the real station list,
          as far as I'm concerned, is the map. As James pointed out, the
          scrolling list is just that, a scrolling list of received packets.
          Eventually there may be a more formal list.

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
              If you haven't tried it, select AUTOMATIC and then re-size to short and squatty to tall and narrow.

              Fred, N7FMH

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
                I've asked this before. I still think it should be some type of configuration setting or allow a resize of the scrolling object.

                Brian
                N5BRJ

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
                  Go to: Toolbar>Configure>Screen>Orientation and select Narrow

                  This will give you more!

                  I've asked this before. I still think it should be some type of configuration setting or allow a resize of the scrolling object.

                  Brian
                  N5BRJ

                  --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Weder" <eaweder@...> wrote:

                  > The list of stations heard at
                  the top right is set to 6. How do you increase
                  > this to show more
                  stations?

                  > Thanks,
                  > Eric Weder

                  VE6EAW

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
                    And no, before anyone asks, I'm not really going to get into the "skinnable" user interface anytime too soon.  It's already difficult to refer to where the "APRS-IS OK" pane is as it moves from the top center to the top left depending on your orientation which might depend on the width/height ratio of your window.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
                      But on a more positive note, since this isn't really a station list, but is a packet list, you can get the same information and MUCH more by simply doing Enables / View Logs / Packets and clicking Enable at the top.  You get timestamps, port names, and the WHOLE packet!

                      For most packets, the initial callsign is what you'd see in the scrolling station pane.  Nicknames, objects, and third-party packets will not follow this general rule, but they're certainly not the most common packet types.

                      PS.  Eventually the thread name (WinMain, in this case) will disappear from some or all trace log windows.  The ones that are user-useful (like Packets, Transmit, and such) will probably have this disappear eventually.  Internal diagnostics or those that are fed from multiple internal threads will probably retain this bit of valuable diagnostic information.

                      And no, before anyone asks, I'm not really going to get into the "skinnable" user interface anytime too soon.  It's already difficult to refer to where the "APRS-IS OK" pane is as it moves from the top center to the top left depending on your orientation which might depend on the width/height ratio of your window.

                      On 8/2/2011 5:37 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                      Go to: Toolbar>Configure>Screen>Orientation and select Narrow

                      This will give you more!

                      I've asked this before. I still think it should be some type of configuration setting or allow a resize of the scrolling object.

                      Brian
                      N5BRJ

                      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Weder" <eaweder@...> wrote:

                      > The list of stations heard at the top right is set to 6. How do you increase
                      > this to show more stations?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Eric Weder
                      > VE6EAW

                    • Randy Love
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
                        Any chance of making the Packet ( or some other log window ) dockable to the bottom of the main screen?

                        ( I know, this is a rewording of the 'Monitor' window concept from UI-View, but darn it, it's USEFUL to me! )

                        Randy
                        WF5X

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
                          The closest I'm likely to come to docking in the near term is remembering the size and location of various named Trace Logs similar to what I do to the main window.  At approximately the same time, MultiTrack windows will remember where you last put one that was tracking a particular station.  But before any of that can happen, I need to move all of this "accumulated" cruft out of the main APRSISCE/32.XML configuration file and into something less critical and allowed to grow without bounds (subject, of course, to loss without warning if you do end up filling your disk).

                          PS.  Ever wonder why Windoze gets slower and slower over time and gets suddenly faster after a re-install?  It's all that "remember where I last put this and what it looked like" that it records into the registry while you use it.

                          On 8/2/2011 8:14 PM, Randy Love wrote: Any chance of making the Packet ( or some other log window ) dockable to the bottom of the main screen?

                          ( I know, this is a rewording of the 'Monitor' window concept from UI-View, but darn it, it's USEFUL to me! )

                          Randy
                          WF5X

                        • kd4dra
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
                            I like this remembering the packet logging window and also the other thing
                            you mentioned earlier today about doing away with the WinMain in front of
                            those packets.

                            Thanks

                            Rick
                            KD4DRA