Re: Non-KISS mode?

  • kf4lvz
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 2:09 PM
      No, I'm using a KPC3+ and a TM-D700. I wish to avoid using software for the digipeater, leaving its services to the hardware. I only want to connect software occasionally to just observe the operations and how things look over the air without disrupting the hardware.

      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:

      > > Is it possible to run in non-KISS (command) mode? I have a couple TNCs that I want to use as stand-alone digipeaters but I'd like to be able to connect to them occasionally and see what the TNC sees. To do that I don't want to flip the TNC over to KISS, I just want to leave it in command mode and observe the traffic.
      >
      > Are you using TNC-2 clone TNC's? If so, the X1J software gives the
      > best of both worlds... KISS for the attached application and yet
      > continues to function as a digi and node. Another good tool from the
      > old days.
      >
      > 73
      > Bill - WA7NWP

    • kf4lvz
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2 8:00 PM
        Ok, here's a capture from the D700:

        cmd:K6TZ-11>APTW01,WA6ZSN,W6SCE-10*:_08021958c321s006g009t075r...p...P...h13b10159tU2k
        KC6YIR-9>STQVSW,W6SCE-10*,WIDE2-1:`.Ipl#9R/"6s}TinyTrak4 Alpha!whh!
        KF6ILA>GPSHW,KF6ILA-10,W6SCE-10*:@030257z3303.70N/11634.43W_230/014g018t076r000p000P000h39b10163L000.DsVP

        KF6ECO-14>GPSLK,W6SCE-10*:$GPRMC,042433,A,3347.1780,N,11812.7279,W,000.0,176.6,250711,013.4,E*6B

        (word wrap caused by Yahoo)

        I believe the KPC-3 does the same but mine is in a box currently until the antenna goes up.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2 9:07 PM
          Also, in case anyone is curious, the D700 (maybe the D710, too, someone would have to check, I don't have one) does actually spit out some packet information when the internal APRS mode is running.

          If you issue the command "AI 1" (ay-eye one), the TNC will echo out data when a packet is decoded (assuming the packet is within the position limit if set). It looks like this (each on one line):

          LIST 01,WA6MHA-11,0802,2041,6,3410500,11828901,/,_, ,,------,Apollo XI S.F.V.Flyers RC Cl,288002083---

          LIST 01,WA6MHA-11,0802,2041,6,3410500,11828901,/,_, ,,------,P000h29OU2k,2540020
          83---

          LIST 01,K6PYT-1,0802,2046,7,3404190,11802791,/,k, ,,------,A=000249/TT3,117051--
          ----

          It seems to break down as:
          originating callsign
          date in the radio (0802)
          time in the radio (2041)
          packet type (6 which I'm not sure what the types are but this one was an exclamation point on the radio's screen)
          latitude (34 10.500)
          longitude (118 28.90)
          symbol table (/)
          symbol index (_).
          payload (P000... or the Altitude A=...)
          wind direction, speed, temperature, rainfall (288002083---) which breaks into:
          direction 288, speed 002, temp 083, rainfall ---
          or course and speed (for the last packet 117051 which is direction 117 speed 051)

          There's a few other things missing but I'd need to have a couple radios running simultaneously to collect raw packets off the air and the data from the Kenwood. The path doesn't seem to survive the transfer, all this information is what appears on the screen when you go to the station list.