Re: [aprsisce] Non-KISS mode?

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 1:30 PM
      If you don't mind it being a receive-only use of the TNC, and if the TNC
      puts out TNC2-formatted packets by default, with nothing added, no
      line-breaks, and a <cr><lf> at the end, then you can simply configure a
      TEXT port, point it to the COMM port, and make sure you don't check Xmit
      Enabled. It should work, and if you have the other settings checked
      appropriately and have an APRS-IS connection, you can be a receive-only
      IGate to boot.

      What TNC are you considering and can you post a serial port capture of
      what it looks like when packets are being received?

      On 8/1/2011 4:25 PM, kf4lvz wrote:
      > Is it possible to run in non-KISS (command) mode? I have a couple TNCs that I want to use as stand-alone digipeaters but I'd like to be able to connect to them occasionally and see what the TNC sees. To do that I don't want to flip the TNC over to KISS, I just want to leave it in command mode and observe the traffic.
    • kf4lvz
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1 1:32 PM
        One is a KPC-3+ and the other is a TM-D700

        > If you don't mind it being a receive-only use of the TNC, and if the TNC
        > puts out TNC2-formatted packets by default, with nothing added, no
        > line-breaks, and a <cr><lf> at the end, then you can simply configure a
        > TEXT port, point it to the COMM port, and make sure you don't check Xmit
        > Enabled. It should work, and if you have the other settings checked
        > appropriately and have an APRS-IS connection, you can be a receive-only
        > IGate to boot.
        >
        > What TNC are you considering and can you post a serial port capture of
        > what it looks like when packets are being received?

        > On 8/1/2011 4:25 PM, kf4lvz wrote:
        > > Is it possible to run in non-KISS (command) mode? I have a couple TNCs that I want to use as stand-alone digipeaters but I'd like to be able to connect to them occasionally and see what the TNC sees. To do that I don't want to flip the TNC over to KISS, I just want to leave it in command mode and observe the traffic.

      • Bill Vodall
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1 2:00 PM
          > Is it possible to run in non-KISS (command) mode? I have a couple TNCs that I want to use as stand-alone digipeaters but I'd like to be able to connect to them occasionally and see what the TNC sees. To do that I don't want to flip the TNC over to KISS, I just want to leave it in command mode and observe the traffic.

          Are you using TNC-2 clone TNC's? If so, the X1J software gives the
          best of both worlds... KISS for the attached application and yet
          continues to function as a digi and node. Another good tool from the
          old days.

          73
          Bill - WA7NWP
        • kf4lvz
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1 2:09 PM
            No, I'm using a KPC3+ and a TM-D700. I wish to avoid using software for the digipeater, leaving its services to the hardware. I only want to connect software occasionally to just observe the operations and how things look over the air without disrupting the hardware.

            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:

            > > Is it possible to run in non-KISS (command) mode? I have a couple TNCs that I want to use as stand-alone digipeaters but I'd like to be able to connect to them occasionally and see what the TNC sees. To do that I don't want to flip the TNC over to KISS, I just want to leave it in command mode and observe the traffic.
            >
            > Are you using TNC-2 clone TNC's? If so, the X1J software gives the
            > best of both worlds... KISS for the attached application and yet
            > continues to function as a digi and node. Another good tool from the
            > old days.
            >
            > 73
            > Bill - WA7NWP

          • kf4lvz
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2 8:00 PM
              Ok, here's a capture from the D700:

              cmd:K6TZ-11>APTW01,WA6ZSN,W6SCE-10*:_08021958c321s006g009t075r...p...P...h13b10159tU2k
              KC6YIR-9>STQVSW,W6SCE-10*,WIDE2-1:`.Ipl#9R/"6s}TinyTrak4 Alpha!whh!
              KF6ILA>GPSHW,KF6ILA-10,W6SCE-10*:@030257z3303.70N/11634.43W_230/014g018t076r000p000P000h39b10163L000.DsVP

              KF6ECO-14>GPSLK,W6SCE-10*:$GPRMC,042433,A,3347.1780,N,11812.7279,W,000.0,176.6,250711,013.4,E*6B

              (word wrap caused by Yahoo)

              I believe the KPC-3 does the same but mine is in a box currently until the antenna goes up.

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2 9:07 PM
                Also, in case anyone is curious, the D700 (maybe the D710, too, someone would have to check, I don't have one) does actually spit out some packet information when the internal APRS mode is running.

                If you issue the command "AI 1" (ay-eye one), the TNC will echo out data when a packet is decoded (assuming the packet is within the position limit if set). It looks like this (each on one line):

                LIST 01,WA6MHA-11,0802,2041,6,3410500,11828901,/,_, ,,------,Apollo XI S.F.V.Flyers RC Cl,288002083---

                LIST 01,WA6MHA-11,0802,2041,6,3410500,11828901,/,_, ,,------,P000h29OU2k,2540020
                83---

                LIST 01,K6PYT-1,0802,2046,7,3404190,11802791,/,k, ,,------,A=000249/TT3,117051--
                ----

                It seems to break down as:
                originating callsign
                date in the radio (0802)
                time in the radio (2041)
                packet type (6 which I'm not sure what the types are but this one was an exclamation point on the radio's screen)
                latitude (34 10.500)
                longitude (118 28.90)
                symbol table (/)
                symbol index (_).
                payload (P000... or the Altitude A=...)
                wind direction, speed, temperature, rainfall (288002083---) which breaks into:
                direction 288, speed 002, temp 083, rainfall ---
                or course and speed (for the last packet 117051 which is direction 117 speed 051)

                There's a few other things missing but I'd need to have a couple radios running simultaneously to collect raw packets off the air and the data from the Kenwood. The path doesn't seem to survive the transfer, all this information is what appears on the screen when you go to the station list.