Help

  • rvalero54
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 7:48 AM
      Okay... I've installed APRSISCE on my laptop, configured my callsign and entered my password, What exacty happens now?

      I can see my callsign on the map.

      If I plug my D72a into my laptop and drive around town will I be able to see my tracks on the map from my transciever beaconing?

      Is there some instuction manual that I can read explaining the program features.

      Nothing under files at the group site.

      Does this program function like APRS.fi...?

      Thanks in advance for any help.

      Rick, KF7QYC
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1 8:05 AM

        If you setup APRSIS to communicate with the D72 then yes you should see yourself and others move around on the map.

        The wiki with info on setting up to communicate with the radio, and lots of other help is

        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

        Torbay Freecycle Moderator

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1 8:18 AM
          Or if you have mobile Internet on your laptop, you'll see it while driving around.  Or if you leave the laptop at home connected to the Internet, you should see your track when you get back, provided that there are functioning IGates in your mobile area.

          As Steve suggested, check out the Wiki, read a bunch, and then post back here with any detailed questions you might have.

          As for "does it operate like aprs.fi", that depends what you mean.

          Does APRSISCE/32 use the same APRS-IS data as aprs.fi?  Yes.

          Does APRSISCE/32 maintain a huger database of APRS activity and let you see long-term paths from months ago like aprs.fi?  No.

          Is APRSISCE/32 a web-based APRS viewer like aprs.fi?  No

          Can APRSISCE/32 provide visualization of APRS-IS data for any arbitrary area like aprs.if?  Yes - Provided you keep it running.

          Can APRSISCE/32 work in an APRS-IS-less fashion with a suitable RF Interface (like via your D72), unlike aprs.fi?  Yes

          So "operate like" is a very broad and ambiguous question.