RE: [aprsisce] In Dash Photos + Night Mode Request

  • Krzysiek
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 31, 2011
      Fred,

      which tablet model did you use in your car?
      --
      Regards,

      Krzysztof
      SQ5NWI

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 1 5:14 AM
        Hello Krzysztof,

        I used a small PC with the Intel Atom 230 processor combined with a 7" touchscreen. I used the Centrafuse 3.5 software to launch APRSIS32. It works good capturing the base window of the application but, I still have minor issues with Multi-track and chat via the On-Screen-Keyboard integration. It seems to not handle multiple windows well.

        As the next phase of the project, I have hopes to write my own Centrafuse Plugin for a radio front-end. I still haven't settled on the best radio for the project. I like the idea of coupling a two channel ICOM DStar radio with a TNC. This way I can have the best of both worlds.

        We will see... this project has taken a long time. Anyone have any radio suggestions? It seems that there aren't that many radios out there that you can control with RS-232.

        Please see my page here for project details:

        http://technet.147120.com/wiki/index.php/Automotive_PC

        Regards,
        Fred

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 1 8:24 AM
          Very nice installation! I finally checked out the pictures and it is
          impressive.

          On 7/30/2011 1:58 PM, Fred Eckert wrote:
          > Hello all,
          >
          > I have made great strides getting a permanent APRSIS32 rig installed in my car. I have uploaded some photos into the KJ4LFJ folder if anyone would like to take a look.
          >
          > Lynn,
          >
          > I have a night mode request :-) When I run at night, I use the Midnight Commander tile set. This is great as it looks sharp and doesn't overpower night vision. However, The left side of the program is very bright and slightly overpowering. You will see this in the KJ4LFJ folder "In Dash - NightView" photo.
          >
          > I think it would be great if we end users could control the background color of the application via an easy to access switch. Please let me know what you think.
          >
          > Thank you for this great app and Best regards,
          > Fred Eckert
          > KJ4LFJ

        • Krzysiek
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 1 11:10 PM
            Hi Fred,

            well, I'm impressed, really impressed and... I will not follow your concept,
            at least not very soon ;-).
            Main reasons are complexity and costs, but I think that you should - if you
            want - share your solution future development info with group as it can be
            real inspiration for those of us who are going to do something similar.

            Thanks a lot!
            --
            Regards,

            Krzysztof
            SQ5NWI

            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 23 10:14 AM
              Hi Lynn,

              I tried running APRSIS32 using the built in Windows 7 "High Contrast Black" theme and did not get the desired result.

              The left side scrolling stations list and speed display did not follow the theme. Also, the popup message boxes are completely black, no text visible at all. The top menu bar and it's text followed the theme properly.

              I hope you can take a look at this at some point, it sure would make nighttime operations much easier on the eyes.

              I will upload a few pictures of the issue to the KJ4LFJ folder.

              Thanks and Regards,
              Fred KJ4LFJ

              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 23 10:58 AM
                Are you running the latest Development or the general release? (If the
                text in the About box would have appeared I'd have know. Why doesn't
                someone get that fixed? <grin>).

                PS. It doesn't really make a difference which version you're running as
                to this behavior, but if you're running Dev, I can count on you to test
                my changes a bit quicker.

                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 23 12:55 PM
                  Thanks for the pictures, they were very helpful to know what was going on.

                  If you upgrade to the latest Dev release, you should find it better.
                  That's one seriously ugly theme, but when you combine it with Midnight
                  Commander OSM tiles, it might not be too bad in the dark.

                  If you notice anything I missed picking up, please drop a note here
                  along with a reference to another picture showing the bust.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 23 3:48 PM
                    WooHoo! This is great. I can't wait to try it after dark. I am going to make a nice "Nighttime" aero based theme... Should look sharp.

                    Thanks and Regards,
                    Fred

                    > Thanks for the pictures, they were very helpful to know what was going on.
                    >
                    > If you upgrade to the latest Dev release, you should find it better.
                    > That's one seriously ugly theme, but when you combine it with Midnight
                    > Commander OSM tiles, it might not be too bad in the dark.
                    >
                    > If you notice anything I missed picking up, please drop a note here
                    > along with a reference to another picture showing the bust.

                    > On 8/23/2011 1:14 PM, Fred Eckert wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Hi Lynn,
                    > >
                    > > I tried running APRSIS32 using the built in Windows 7 "High Contrast Black" theme and did not get the desired result.
                    > >
                    > > The left side scrolling stations list and speed display did not follow the theme. Also, the popup message boxes are completely black, no text visible at all. The top menu bar and it's text followed the theme properly.
                    > >
                    > > I hope you can take a look at this at some point, it sure would make nighttime operations much easier on the eyes.
                    > >
                    > > I will upload a few pictures of the issue to the KJ4LFJ folder.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks and Regards,
                    > > Fred KJ4LFJ
                    > >
                    > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Eckert"<fredeckert@> wrote:
                    > >>

                    > >> This is win32 on 7. I will investigate themes. Maybe I can write a batch file to switch.
                    > >>
                    > >> 73,
                    > >> Fred

                  • kd4dra
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 23 7:35 PM
                      That Looks good if we could change the font color for the calsigns it should work
                      with all maps not just midnight. But Midnight does look good'

                      Thanks Lynn

                      Rick
                      KD4DRA

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 23 7:55 PM
                          Yes that the ones, I talk about...
                          Thanks

                          Rick
                          KD4DRA

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 23 7:58 PM
                            I checked and they should be tracking the theme's window text color which in the case of the black theme is white test.  Are they not doing that on your system?  Can you grab another screen shot so I can see what you're seeing?

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 23 8:05 PM
                              Yes they are doing that, what i was thinking of is making a map
                              for day use that is not black or dark blue but a dark gray and the
                              white font is a strain to see, you follow what I mean?

                              Rick
                              KD4DRA

                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 23 8:16 PM
                                  OK That does sound good, now that I know about what the theme changes
                                  will do. I'll play with that, Thanks

                                  Kyle Bush lost his drivers licence, just saw that on News.

                                  Thanks Again for the great work you're doing.

                                  Rick
                                  KD4DRA

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 25 7:24 PM
                                    Lynn,

                                    It looks like Rick is onto something here. The call signs are not tracking the standard windows text. I uploaded a couple screen shots. The first is APRSIS32 with a few stations on the Midnight Commander tiles. The second is some text in Notepad. BTW, The text color I chose is a medium gray.

                                    Fred
                                    KJ4LFJ

                                    P.S. A strange observation I have made is that when I shut down Windows with this theme selected. The Windows displayed "logging off..." and "shutting down..." which are normally displayed in white text on the blue background are being displayed as black text on the blue background! What's up with that? Maybe a windows issue?

                                    73

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 25 7:58 PM
                                      You're picture isn't very clear. Are we talking about the callsigns
                                      scrolling up the side or the labels on the map itself? I looked at the
                                      code and the ones on the map should track the window text. The ones in
                                      the scroller are driven by red/green scaling based on their distance
                                      from you with a background color modified on a bunch of stuff.

                                      So, which call signs are not tracking the theme's windows text?

                                      PS. Shift PrintScreen and paste into something like IrfanView can give
                                      you a really detailed capture.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 25 8:15 PM
                                        Never mind. I found my stupid mistake. I was creating a new drawing
                                        context for drawing the shadow bitmap of the circle and wasn't selecting
                                        the proper text color into it. This is part of the paint optimization
                                        that I've been talking about recent.

                                        The labels on the map will follow the selected window text color in the
                                        next Dev release. Thanks for noticing this and bringing it to my attention.

                                      • kd4dra
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 25 8:21 PM
                                          Cool I'll be looking forward to that...

                                          Rick
                                          KD4DRA

                                          Never mind. I found my stupid mistake. I was creating a new drawing
                                          context for drawing the shadow bitmap of the circle and wasn't selecting
                                          the proper text color into it. This is part of the paint optimization
                                          that I've been talking about recent.

                                          The labels on the map will follow the selected window text color in the
                                          next Dev release. Thanks for noticing this and bringing it to my attention.

                                          > You're picture isn't very clear. Are we talking about the callsigns
                                          > scrolling up the side or the labels on the map itself? I looked at the
                                          > code and the ones on the map should track the window text. The ones in
                                          > the scroller are driven by red/green scaling based on their distance
                                          > from you with a background color modified on a bunch of stuff.
                                          >
                                          > So, which call signs are not tracking the theme's windows text?

                                          > PS. Shift PrintScreen and paste into something like IrfanView can give
                                          > you a really detailed capture.
                                          >
                                          > On 8/25/2011 10:24 PM, Fred Eckert wrote:
                                          >> Lynn,
                                          >>
                                          >> It looks like Rick is onto something here. The call signs are not tracking the standard windows text. I uploaded a couple screen shots. The first is APRSIS32 with a few stations on the Midnight Commander tiles. The second is some text in Notepad. BTW, The text color I chose is a medium gray.
                                          >>
                                          >> Fred
                                          >> KJ4LFJ
                                          >>
                                          >> P.S. A strange observation I have made is that when I shut down Windows with this theme selected. The Windows displayed "logging off..." and "shutting down..." which are normally displayed in white text on the blue background are being displayed as black text on the blue background! What's up with that? Maybe a windows issue?
                                          >>
                                          >> 73
                                          >>
                                          >> --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)"<kj4erj@...> wrote:
                                          >>> I checked and they should be tracking the theme's window text color
                                          >>> which in the case of the black theme is white test. Are they not doing
                                          >>> that on your system? Can you grab another screen shot so I can see what
                                          >>> you're seeing?

                                        • apenadragon
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 27 6:51 AM
                                            Any way that you can share that when you do?

                                            Adam
                                            KC2ANT

                                            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Eckert" <fredeckert@...> wrote:

                                            > WooHoo! This is great. I can't wait to try it after dark. I am going to make a nice "Nighttime" aero based theme... Should look sharp.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks and Regards,
                                            > Fred
                                            >
                                            > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Thanks for the pictures, they were very helpful to know what was going on.
                                            > >
                                            > > If you upgrade to the latest Dev release, you should find it better.
                                            > > That's one seriously ugly theme, but when you combine it with Midnight
                                            > > Commander OSM tiles, it might not be too bad in the dark.
                                            > >
                                            > > If you notice anything I missed picking up, please drop a note here
                                            > > along with a reference to another picture showing the bust.

                                            > > On 8/23/2011 1:14 PM, Fred Eckert wrote:
                                            > > >

                                            > > > Hi Lynn,
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I tried running APRSIS32 using the built in Windows 7 "High Contrast Black" theme and did not get the desired result.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > The left side scrolling stations list and speed display did not follow the theme. Also, the popup message boxes are completely black, no text visible at all. The top menu bar and it's text followed the theme properly.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I hope you can take a look at this at some point, it sure would make nighttime operations much easier on the eyes.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I will upload a few pictures of the issue to the KJ4LFJ folder.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Thanks and Regards,
                                            > > > Fred KJ4LFJ

                                          • w7boz
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 28 3:16 AM
                                              I have a nice looking Windows Theme for night if anyone wants it, Just got it setup on a few computers. I am still working on a WiMo version thought. Email me direct if you would like to try it.

                                              Kevin
                                              W7BOZ