igate setup

  • gw0mmb
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 31, 2011
      Hi All new to aprs im trying to set up an igate im receiving packets on 144.800 it is opening the dcd light on the tnc and the transceiver is going into transmit when it sends a beacon the tnc is an old pk232mbx which i am running in kiss mode the radio is a yaesu ft-2800m. im not seeing anything in aprs.fi of stations either ones ive heard or stations that have heard my beacon have i got it set up right ?????

      Paul GW0MMB

      www.gw0mmb.co.uk
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 31, 2011

        You need a password to send data to the APRS IS feed, I guess that’s the problem, assuming you are getting data from the internet, do you have a list of stations scrolling up the left side of the screen? And a message top left saying APRS-IS OK, that should cycle through your ports saying if OK.

        Nice video walk through by G4ILO here on the initial setup http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/initial-startup and lots of other help. On the wiki site.

        But I suspect the problem is no password. Lynn should be able to provide a password.

        That said if you are not seeing yourself via other stations, are you sure they should be able to hear you. You are seeing stations heard over RF on your map?

        Steve

        G6UIM

        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 1, 2011
          You will probably want to edit the APRSIS32.XML file () and replace the
          <Open/CloseCmd>s with the following NO-operation commands.

          <OpenCmd>~!!0</OpenCmd>
          <CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>

          This is assuming that your PK232mbx TNC is locked into KISS mode and
          requires no commands to operate from a cold power up.

          To see what's going on on the RF side, select Enables / View Logs /
          <YourPortName> and click the Enable menu option on that trace log
          window. Any activity to/from the TNC will show up there. I like to
          uncheck and re-check Enables / Ports / <YourPortName> after enabling the
          trace log just to see that some communications is occurring and that the
          port is at least opening correctly.

          On 7/31/2011 5:24 PM, gw0mmb wrote:
          > Hi All new to aprs im trying to set up an igate im receiving packets on 144.800 it is opening the dcd light on the tnc and the transceiver is going into transmit when it sends a beacon the tnc is an old pk232mbx which i am running in kiss mode the radio is a yaesu ft-2800m. im not seeing anything in aprs.fi of stations either ones ive heard or stations that have heard my beacon have i got it set up right ?????
          >
          > Paul GW0MMB
          >
          > www.gw0mmb.co.uk

        • kd6hni
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 8, 2012
            Hello there are no igates in my area and i need help setting one up a rx only.
            any help would be appreciated.
            Thanks
            Tony
            kd6hni
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 8, 2012

              It will igate automatically for RX only make sure you have IS RF unticked in the APRS-IS port settings, If you plan to digipeat also some editing of the config XML file is required

              http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:digipeating

              http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:editing-xml-configuration

              Torbay Freecycle Moderator

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 8, 2012
                Don't forget you also need a pass code to tx to the IS.

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 8, 2012
                  Ok,
                  so Steve i believe you sent me that password, correct?
                  and do i plug the radio audio in to the computer and then it can be setup and were?
                  i really haven't done this or have any experience before so more rudimentary Instruction would be helpful.
                  i searched this group and online and had no luck
                  Thanks so much
                  Tony

                  Don't forget you also need a pass code to tx to the IS.

                  Hello there are no igates in my area and i need help setting one up a rx only.
                  any help would be appreciated.
                  Thanks
                  Tony
                  kd6hni

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 8, 2012
                    Watch Julian (G4ILO)'s introductory videos on the Wiki.  He even walks you through setting up your first RF port in the second video.

                    http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

                    http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/initial-startup

                    http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration

                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 8, 2012

                      I would agree with Lynn , I would recommend watching Julian’s excellent videos on the initial setup. There is also plenty of stuff in the wiki.

                      If you don’t have a TNC or Radio with Built in TNC (Terminal Node Controller) then you will need a software based TNC such as AGWPE to interface your soundcard to APRSISCE/32

                      Feel free to ask here for help if you get stuck

                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 8, 2012
                        Wow thanks so much guys I really appreciate the help
                        I'll give it a go.

                        Tony Leonardi

                        Leonardi Automotive

                        Sonoma County Sheriff  Search & Rescue (www.sonomasar.org)

                        FCC Amateur Radio License: KD6HNI (http://tinyurl.com/6rdbz4y)

                        Sent via iPhone.  Please excuse brevity and spelling.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 8, 2012

                          No Problem at all, for me at least. There are a few on the group doing SAR, for various Sheriffs Depts etc. When you get into it more, APRSIS has functions that help with Radio Direction Finding, and coordinating search areas, but lets get you going first before you get to the advanced features. (and there are lots, and growing)

                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 8, 2012
                            On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 4:07 PM, kd6hni <kd6hni@...> wrote:

                            > Hello there are no igates in my area and i need help setting one up a rx only.
                            > any help would be appreciated.

                            There are in fact i-gates in the San Fransicsco area... the two
                            closest are just across the bay in San Pablo and Albany. There's one
                            just north of you in Windsor.

                            Be aware that RX only i-gates are a bit of a problem for APRS, as APRS
                            is a bi-directional communications medium, and with RX only i-gates,
                            the bi-directional part of the medium breaks down. While gating
                            information from RF to the internet makes things visible on sites like
                            aprs.fi, the same doesn't hold true for those who are on RF trying to
                            communicate. I-gates generally don't make a whole lot of noise. Very
                            little is sent from the internet to the RF network, unless it is
                            destined for a station in the local area.

                            If a user in your area were trying to communicate with another station
                            outside of the local area, it is quite likely the packet would tunnel
                            into the internet through your gate on its way to the recipient. Any
                            ACKs, or return messages would attempt to get back to that user
                            through your station, and onto RF. With a RX only i-gate, that return
                            path is broken, and thus the communications would fail. Other i-gates
                            in the area would probably also push the return traffic onto your
                            local network, but in an area where the statement "There are no
                            i-gates in my area" were true, a bi-directional i-gate is the desired
                            method of operation.

                            BTW, there's a severe thunderstorm at your house...

                            http://aprs.fi/kd6hni

                          • Tony Leonardi
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 8, 2012
                              Ok I see what your saying, I have a icom v8000 and a windows 7 laptop
                              How would I interface the icom to make bi directional possible.
                              I am willing and it would make way more sense.
                              I have a igates north and south of me about thirty miles either direction.
                              But lots of dead spots around me.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 8, 2012
                                On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Tony Leonardi <kd6hni@...> wrote:

                                > Ok I see what your saying, I have a icom v8000 and a windows 7 laptop
                                > How would I interface the icom to make bi directional possible.
                                > I am willing and it would make way more sense.

                                You need a TNC to convert the digital signals in the computer into
                                audio signals in the radio and vice versa.

                                I would suggest holding off on trying to be part of the infrastructure
                                until you get a little more experience under your belt. You've got
                                what's reporting as a fill-in digipeater sitting up on a 2400 foot
                                hill to the north of you, that's covering your location very well from
                                what I can see.

                                http://aprs.fi/heard/a/WB6TMS-5

                                > I have a igates north and south of me about thirty miles either direction.
                                > But lots of dead spots around me.

                                As you are driving around, the digipeater is hearing your station in the area.

                                What are you basing these dead spots on? Are you monitoring when your
                                station is attempting to send packets and looking for position reports
                                from those locations that aren't showing up online? Are you also
                                listening to the channel activity in the area?

                                Just down the street from your place is a road called Sonoma Mountain
                                Road, just off Old Adobe Road. Go for drive up there to the top of the
                                hill where the KRCB TV towers are located and have a listen to
                                144.390. See if you hear much for dead air while you are up there.
                                It's only a 10 mile drive up there. It would be really cool if you
                                could record the audio and put it online to share.

                                One of the big problems with APRS is the fact that it is a 1200 baud
                                channel, and there's a maximum number of packets that can be handled
                                per minute. Once you approach that saturation level, throughput
                                degrades in a hurry. Your area looks like it has a number of high
                                digipeaters, and it might be that they are only acting upon single hop
                                paths, although one says to use WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 as a path in your
                                area.

                                What happens when you send a signal from your TT4 down in the valley,
                                is that you are going to have to beat the other digipeaters in the
                                area in getting the attention of your local digipeater. That's going
                                to be a hard thing to do, because the digipeaters are all up on the
                                hilltops, and they can hear each other better than they can hear you.
                                They are probably running more power than you are down in the valley
                                where their antenna patterns don't cover as well as they do towards
                                the digis on the neighboring hills. You're on the losing end of the
                                battle in this war.

                                If you were to put an i-gate at your house, you would probably see an
                                improvement in the number of beacons heard and gated directly to the
                                internet right in your neighborhood. Would you be heard more in the
                                larger RF neighborhood? Nope.

                                The easiest solution for putting an i-gate in your house is to buy a
                                TNC. You're familiar with the TT4, grab another and use it in KISS
                                mode with APRSISCE/32. As soon as you get the TNC and radio tied
                                together, and an RF port defined in APRSISCE/32, you'll be a
                                bi-directional i-gate. Just don't turn on the digipeating... adding
                                more digipeaters in an overcrowded area just degrades the channel that
                                much more.

                                The TT4 has a serial port, so you'll need an adaptor to USB if your
                                computer doesn't have one. Scott with Argent Data Systems sells the
                                OT3m, which is very much like the TT4, but it has a USB port on it so
                                you don't need an adaptor. The OT3m will do the same job as the TT4 as
                                far as working as a TNC for APRSISCE/32.

                                If you could record your local RF channel (144.390) at your house, and
                                again at the top of Sonoma Mountain, and post both audio recordings,
                                that would be really great. There will be a big difference between the
                                two... Your cellphone can probably record audio, and save it in a
                                format that would be easily played back on the computer.

                              • tony leonardi
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 21, 2012
                                  OK well since we last chatted i have been able to setup the aprsis server as a igate and it now is seeing the stations in my area.
                                  The problem i am having is that for some reason it wont transmit my beacon? i am sending telemitary but something happened and now it wont transmit and show that it is updating or a refreshed icon symbol?
                                  i have uninstalled the program and reset it up with no prevail, any ideas?
                                  i have the correct pass-code unless it can change.
                                  thank you
                                  Tony

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 21, 2012
                                    Do you have GPS enabled? It is in the Enable menu on the toolbar. Without a FIX, it won't beacon.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 21, 2012
                                      I have a option for gpx but not gps?
                                      It says auto save gpx and that's it
                                      And it isn't selected

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 21, 2012
                                          According to http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KD6HNI-1

                                          2012-02-22 01:24:04 UTC: KD6HNI-1>APWW08,TCPIP*,qAC,T2JKTPUS:@012403h3806.58N/12234.16W|Marin/Novato Igate [Invalid uncompressed location]

                                          aprs.fi thinks you have a problem in your packet.  In fact, it's your symbol character of |.  The general release version that you're running allows invalid symbols to be specified, but other systems on the APRS-IS (like aprs.fi) doesn't like them.

                                          Go to Configure / General and click on the symbol and change it to something more common.  Then your beacons should be accepted by aprs.fi and your location changes should work.

                                          PS.  And it appears that your AGW port isn't hearing anything over RF.  Is that what you expected or is there something else wrong as well?

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 21, 2012
                                            On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM, tony leonardi <kd6hni@...> wrote:

                                            > OK well since we last chatted i have been able to setup the aprsis server
                                            > as a igate and it now is seeing the stations in my area.

                                            Uh, no it's not... not as far as being an i-gate is concerned... it
                                            has only seen 2 packets from your -9 station.

                                            > The problem i am having is that for some reason it wont transmit my
                                            > beacon? i am sending telemitary but something happened and now it
                                            > wont transmit and show that it is updating or a refreshed icon symbol?

                                            Check on the items that Lynn has indicated... We can't see what's
                                            happening on air for you, but we can see what's happening at your
                                            station on the APRS-IS via aprs.fi.

                                            > i have the correct pass-code unless it can change.

                                            The APRS-IS passcode will never change. It is a hash-code based on
                                            your callsign. As long as your callsign stays the same, your APRS-IS
                                            passcode will stay the same.

                                            If you are having issues, look at the RAW packets at aprs.fi. Hessu
                                            usually tags the errors, which gives you an indication of what to look
                                            for. If you don't understand the error, copy a packet, paste it here
                                            and we can help point you in the right direction.

                                            Here's what aprs.fi is complaining about.

                                            2012-02-21 18:54:04 MST:
                                            KD6HNI-1>APWW08,TCPIP*,qAC,T2JKTPUS:@015404h3806.58N/12234.16W|Marin/Novato
                                            Igate [Invalid uncompressed location]

                                            There are two characters that are reserved, the vertical bar (|), and
                                            the tilde (~). You have chosen the vertical bar for some reason, and
                                            aprs.fi is complaining. Try choosing the i-gate symbol instead.
                                            (That's an ampersand & with an I overlay)

                                            Keep on plugging away... sooner or later all the bits will fall into
                                            place. The i-gate will probably help with getting packets into and out
                                            of your area more reliably.

                                            Did you get up the hill to have a listen to your local RF network yet?
                                            I'd love to hear what the channel sounds like down there.

                                          • Tony Leonardi
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 21, 2012
                                              Well the changing of the icon seems to have worked.
                                              Now I need to figure out the radio to sound card issues.
                                              Doesn't seem to be hearing very well.
                                              Thank you for the help!!!

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 21, 2012
                                                On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Tony Leonardi <kd6hni@...> wrote:

                                                > Well the changing of the icon seems to have worked.

                                                Yup, you have an icon... normally the igate icon is the black diamond
                                                with an I overlay. You have a black square with an I overlay. The
                                                black diamond is the ampersand (&).

                                                > Now I need to figure out the radio to sound card issues.
                                                > Doesn't seem to be hearing very well.

                                                Yup, another step along the way.

                                                Here's a couple more things for you to play with... you're sending a
                                                status report every half hour. All it says is Novato Down Town I-gate.
                                                You're already doing that with the comment on the end of your position
                                                report. You could kill that status report since it's not doing much
                                                good. The telemetry that APRSISCE/32 sends out by default isn't much
                                                use either.

                                                Telemetry is reporting: battery, charging, GPS + satellites, plus AC,
                                                charging, GPS enabled. For a fixed station running on a desktop
                                                computer, there's not much use in reporting the battery charge state,
                                                since there's no battery. Charging state is useless, and since it's a
                                                fixed station there's probably no GPS attached either. You can
                                                completely disable the telemetry reports and save even more airtime
                                                for others to use.

                                                These packets aren't going to make or break your station, or the
                                                network, but with such a limited resource available we should all work
                                                diligently to ensure that our stations are working as optimally as
                                                possible. Every extra packet that is unnecessary means one less packet
                                                from another user that might be very important.

                                              • Tony Leonardi
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Mar 1 12:06 AM
                                                  Hello again
                                                  we'll I let it update and now I am back to no icon being reported.
                                                  It's seems to be gating traffic but I am back to not transmitting a icon.
                                                  I do seem to be beaconing, the I gate is kd6bni-1
                                                  Any help here would be appreciated.

                                                  Tony Leonardi

                                                  Leonardi Automotive

                                                  Sonoma County Sheriff  Search & Rescue (www.sonomasar.org)

                                                  Amateur radio license
                                                  http://www.qrz.com/db/KD6HNI

                                                  Message 25 of 26 , Mar 1 5:54 AM
                                                    Yes on the password and it is installed in a folder on the desktop.
                                                    I am running xp home on this machine.
                                                    I don't have gps clicked and I using the black diamond with a vertical line.
                                                    Thx

                                                    Message 26 of 26 , Mar 1 6:39 AM
                                                      Do the following:

                                                      1) Ensure that Enables / Logging / File Enabled is checked
                                                      2) Bring up Enables / View Logs / APRS-IS
                                                      3) Ensure that the trace log is enabled (click the menu if it says "Enable")
                                                      4) Uncheck Enables / APRS-IS Enabled
                                                      5) Re-check Enables / APRS-IS Enabled and watch the trace log

                                                      Oh, also make sure Enables / Internet Access is checked. That'd kill it too.

                                                      If you don't see anything obvious in the trace log, then close the client and e-mail the APRSIS32*.LOG files to KJ4ERJ@... with a note reminding me what I'm supposed to look for.

                                                      On 3/1/2012 8:54 AM, Tony Leonardi wrote:
[...]

                                                      SteveDaniels

                                                      G6UIM