Re: [aprsisce] Re: Download maps

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 27, 2011
      On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 6:13 PM, upand_at_them <upand_at_them@...> wrote:

      > The problem I see is that I don't know exactly where the balloon will go,
      > or where the chase vehicles will have to drive.
      >
      > Sure, there are flight predictions, but the balloon isn't guaranteed to follow them.
      > And that assumes I'm using that one launch site.  I may have to change locations.

      There are a bunch of us that use the program for chasing balloons, and
      have no issues with using the prefetch to grab tiles before the
      flight. I would rarely need to get any closer than zoom level 13 or
      14. Levels 15 through 19 are far too close to be of any use. There's
      not enough detail in the OSM tiles to be of use for chasing a balloon
      at those zoom levels. By the time you're within a couple hundred feet
      of the balloon, the OSM map isn't really necessary.

      Levels 8 through 14 should get you enough to be able to chase a
      balloon and know how to get to it. There's no need to grab ALL the
      tiles for the entire state.