Re: Formatting ANSRVR Messages

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2011
      ANSRVR processes exactly the same commands that CQSRVR. See
      http://www.aprs-is.net/CQSrvr.aspx

      The difference is that ANSRVR doesn't restrict you to one message to a
      group every 30 minutes and it allows you to remain a member of a group
      without sending text periodically to the group (simply a CQ <group> with
      no following text, CQSRVR will reject that).

      The }# that you see at the end of the packet has nothing to do with
      ANSRVR or CQSRVR. That is the message packet "sequence number" that
      indicates that the sender of the APRS message would like an
      acknowledgement of receipt.

      Using ANSRVR is very easy, but it does require full bi-directional
      messaging capability. Consider if you were trying to monitor the
      BALLOON group that receives announcements of High Altitude Balloon
      activity.

      First, join the group. You do this by sending an APRS message to ANSRVR
      with the body "CQ BALLOON". (If you were using CQSRVR, you'd have to
      include some sort of text in there also). Boom, you're now a member of
      the BALLOON ANSRVR group for the next 12 hours. I think ANSRVR sends
      you back a message indicating that fact as well.

      If you want to send a message to all registered members of a group,
      simply send an APRS message to ANSRVR with the body "CQ BALLOON Flying
      High". This will send "N:BALLOON Flying High" to all current members of
      the BALLOON group as an APRS message from YOUR callsign-SSID. That way
      the receiving station can simply reply directly to you.

      If you want to leave a group explicitly instead of waiting for the
      inactivity timer to boot you out, send an APRS message to ANSRVR with
      the body "U BALLOON". You will be removed from the group and a message
      will be sent to you by ANSRVR indicating that action as well.

      To find out the active groups, send "?" to ANSRVR. If you send "?
      BALLOON" to ANSRVR, you'll get more detailed information about the
      BALLOON group. Sending "L" to ANSRVR will list the groups that you are
      currently a member of.

      Remember, you don't have to think about the {nn at the end of the
      messages. Those will be automatically added by your APRS client
      software/firmware as part of sending APRS messages.

      My APRSISCE/32 client software supports ANSRVR and CQSRVR under a
      special "Announcements" set of functionality as described at
      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/announcements

      APRSISCE/32 also supports the FTM-350 as a radio interface in
      receive-only mode so you can use your radio and still see what's going
      on around you via APRSISCE/32. Note that the Announcements and
      Messaging support in APRSISCE/32 won't work with just the FTM-350
      because the Yaesu radios do not currently support transmitting from the
      PC port.