RE: [aprsisce] Sharing a port

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 19 KB
    Hi Rick,

    Check out the attachment. Look in the box with "Typical Y-Cable" in it. It
    is for connecting two devices to the TT4.

    I make all my own cables so I added a third port. It is only for splitting
    the GPS signal out for listening with a different device.

    I hope this helps!

    Best regards,
    Fred

    ________________________________

    Message 2 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010
      Thanks Fred
      This and all your replies will be of great help, hopefully I'll get this working soon. Thanks and 73, Rick

      From: "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...>
      Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:01:10 -0400
      To: <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [aprsisce] Sharing a port [1 Attachment]

      ____________ _________ _________ __

      HSP Switch = hardware serial port switch? If yes, how does it
      switch?

      "conf gps on com3"? Hmm, I have no idea what this means.

      I think you are saying you have two items connected to COM3; a GPS
      and
      UI-View using KISS. I am not familiar with UI-View so more
      definition would
      be needed to describe this interaction.

      I am also seeing you post on the TT4 group. If you have the Byonics
      cable,
      the cable is for joining two items (GPS and PC) to the TT4. This is
      not for
      connecting two items to the PC on one serial port. This ASCII
      schematic
      shows how it would be used. View in a fixed font for clarity.

      --- PC (UI-View-KISS or APRSIS32-KISS)
      /
      TT4----
      \
      --- GPS

      Best regards,
      Fred

      ____________ _________ _________ __

      Message 3 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010

        Hi

        Just wondering if it's possible to add a section to the main window to show the last received beacon text. I was monitoring my igated traffic

        and noticed a beacon text I needed to respond to.

        Thought it be handy to just see the last received via RF.

        Steve G6UIM

      • Steve
        Message 4 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010

          Hi

          I recall from my running a packet node days building a diode matrix to connect 3 tnc's together. just required a few diodes.

          Although every device saw the TX/RX from the other devices, and relied on the ssid to see if data was for it or not.

          Steve G6UIM

          This and all your replies will be of great help, hopefully I'll get this working soon. Thanks and 73, Rick

          Message 5 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010
            Steve wrote:

            > Just wondering if it's possible to add a section to the main window to
            > show the last received beacon text. I was monitoring my igated traffic
            >
            > and noticed a beacon text I needed to respond to.
            >
            > Thought it be handy to just see the last received via RF.

            Not sure why there'd be a beacon text you'd need to respond to, but if
            you want to see the RF activity, just bring up the Enables / View Logs /
            KISS or whatever RF interface you're interested in. That's assuming
            you're receiving a lot more than you're sending.

            Given the traffic I see here, just having the last anything is probably
            not good enough. When back-to-back beacons come in from two different
            stations, you'd still miss the one you were looking for. That's why I
            opted for the scrolling trace logs instead of any fixed-size "recent"
            window.

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

            Message 6 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010
              I'm still a bit confused by this particular thread. If you're asking if
              APRSIS32 can handle KISS and NMEA GPS data coming in on a single port
              (however you actually accomplish that), the answer is no. APRSIS32
              expects a single protocol to be used on a single port. Otherwise, I'm
              still not sure I understand what you've actually got going with UI-View....

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

              kd4dra@... wrote:

              > Thanks Fred
              > This and all your replies will be of great help, hopefully I'll get
              > this working soon. Thanks and 73, Rick

              > *From: * "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...>
              > *Date: *Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:01:10 -0400
              > *To: *<aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
              > *Subject: *RE: [aprsisce] Sharing a port [1 Attachment]
              >

              > Hi Rick,
              >
              > Check out the attachment. Look in the box with "Typical Y-Cable" in it. It
              > is for connecting two devices to the TT4.
              >
              > I make all my own cables so I added a third port. It is only for splitting
              > the GPS signal out for listening with a different device.
              >
              > I hope this helps!
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Fred
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Randy Love
              Message 7 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010
                On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                Steve wrote:

                > Just wondering if it's possible to add a section to the main window to
                > show the last received beacon text. I was monitoring my igated traffic

                Lynn,

                I wonder if he's referring to something in your program that does the same as the monitor window at the bottom of UI-View. I've actually gotten very fond of that feature in UI-View and that it can be expanded with a quick-key sequence ( Ctrl-Z ).

                Just throwing in my comment on this.

                Randy
                WF5X

                Message 8 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010
                  (Response at bottom, I know, I'm being different this time...)

                  Randy Love wrote:
                  > On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...
                  > <mailto:kj4erj@...>> wrote:
                  >

                  > Steve wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Just wondering if it's possible to add a section to the main
                  > window to
                  > > show the last received beacon text. I was monitoring my igated
                  > traffic
                  > >

                  > Lynn,
                  >
                  > I wonder if he's referring to something in your program that does the
                  > same as the monitor window at the bottom of UI-View. I've actually
                  > gotten very fond of that feature in UI-View and that it can be
                  > expanded with a quick-key sequence ( Ctrl-Z ).
                  >
                  > Just throwing in my comment on this.
                  >
                  > Randy
                  > WF5X

                  Pick your favorite Trace Log, put it where you want it and any size you
                  want it, and you've got the same feature on steroids. At least, as soon
                  as I have the trace windows remember where they were last time. I'm
                  resisting attaching more to the main window as the Windows Mobile is too
                  tight already and no matter where I attach it, someone will want it
                  somewhere else. As independent windows, the traces can go anywhere.

                  Or is there something else I'm missing?

                  Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
                  Message 9 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010
                    Ok, I dug out a copy of the UI-View "world class" help file and read the
                    section on the HSP Switch. The answer is "no". APRSIS32 does not
                    support this form of COM port sharing. There's enough APRS corruption
                    going on in the world due to Digis and/or IGates running PASSALL mode,
                    I'd rather not have any other corruption or missed packets caused by
                    "sampling" the GPS data and ignoring the TNC.

                    With the absence of "real" COM ports on today's PCs anyway, just buy two
                    USB serial adapters and give each it's own port. Or get a Bluetooth
                    adapter and one of the really cheap BT GPS devices and give your loan
                    port to the KISS TNC.

                    I think I might have found the first UI-View "hack" (expressing my
                    opinion here) that I probably won't be supporting in APRSISCE/32 in the
                    face of USB and Bluetooth serial port availability and cost.

                    PS. There was some old computer editorialist that used to say "One
                    Computer Per Person" which was subsequently updated to be "At LEAST one
                    computer per person". I extend that to be "One GPS per program or device"!

                    But then again, a person with one GPS always knows exactly where s/he
                    is. A person with two is never quite sure!

                  • Guilford Jones
                    Message 10 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010
                      GPSgate.com   works great.
                      --
                      73's de KA5GIL
                      --

                      On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                      There are virtual serial port device drivers out there that allow you to
                      multiplex multiple virtual ports over a single physical port that might
                      do what you're after, but I have no experience with them.

                    • kd4dra
                      Message 11 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010
                        Thanks Lynn
                        I appreciate your honest opinion, stand your ground, if we want to use APRSIS32 then we'll make it work. We are expermenters, that is Ham Radio.

                        Thanks Rick/kd4dra
                        73

                        href="mailto:kd4dra@...">kd4dra@... wrote:

                        >> Thanks Fred
                        >> This and all your replies will be of great help, hopefully I'll get
                        >> this working soon. Thanks and 73, Rick

                        >> *From: * "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...>
                        >> *Date: *Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:01:10 -0400
                        >> *To: *<aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
                        >> *Subject: *RE: [aprsisce] Sharing a port [1 Attachment]
                        >>

                        >> Hi Rick,
                        >>
                        >> Check out the attachment. Look in the box with "Typical Y-Cable" in it.
                        It
                        >> is for connecting two devices to the TT4.
                        >>
                        >> I make all my own cables so I added a third port. It is only for splitting
                        >> the GPS signal out for listening with a different device.
                        >>
                        >> I hope this helps!
                        >>
                        >> Best regards,
                        >> Fred
                        >>
                        >> ________________________________

                        port

                        >> Is APRSIS32 able the share a port I have a tt4 with a y
                        >> splitter cable that i use with UI-Veiw and it does share the port.
                        >> Can
                        >> APRSSS32 do this also, if not can that be worked into the next
                        >> upgrade.
                        >> Thanks Rick / kd4dra

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                            aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        Message 12 of 21 , Apr 13, 2010
                          "With the absence of "real" COM ports on today's PCs anyway, just buy two
                          USB serial adapters and give each it's own port."

                          USB to dual RS232 ports is also very common now.

                          Or better yet:

                          Or, my favorite!

                          :D

                          By the way, the last item provides a smaller connector than the customary USB connector. The USB connector usually sticks out about 2 inches. So in a mobile PC, the Ethernet connector is less likely to be hit and broken accidently. The power port and the connector ports are the first to go with a lot of handling.

                          With the advent of multiple serial ports on one port (USB or Ethernet) the need for the hack is really unnecessary. Although I am sure there is at least one person that will need it.

                          Best regards,
                          Fred

                        • Rick
                          Message 13 of 21 , Apr 14, 2010
                            Thanks Lynn,
                            I got it working using two ports. I'm using the USB Earthmate for gps and the tt4 for kiss mode running aprsis32 on Acer Laptop.
                            Thanks for everyones help.
                            Rick