Re: [aprsisce] USB to Serial cables

  • Aaron D.
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 22, 2011
    I use several different brand usb to serial adapters with my variou smobile and home setups.

    In my truck I use a Dell Mini 10 netbook connected to my RF / TNC package via a Targus PA088UZ USB to Serial adapter.  The radio and TNC combination is an Argent Data T2-301.  I connect to the radio / TNC device via the Argent Data power / serial cable, and then to go a standard 6 foot db9 serial connection cable.  At the end that attaches to the Targus adapter I have a 1/4" ferrite core noise filter.  That filter is the difference between the USB adapter working and not working.  YMMV.

    I have had the same experience with a KPC3 and Motorola Maxtrac radio.  So, I just bought a handfull and put them on all of my serial cables now.  Problem solved, at least for me.

    Best of Luck.  I hope this helps.

    Aaron
    N9ALD

    On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 12:50 AM, otobmark <beowulfmr@...> wrote:
    I'm wondering if there is a problem with using these cables.  No one has serial port anymore so hence the cables.  I have no problem programming or running hyperterminal with these adapter cables but there sure are a lot of errors when enabling radio port in aprs mode.  I wonder if the tnc is running routines  that collide with programming code.  It is just very fragile moment when enabling radio.

    <*> Your email settings:
       Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to:
       (Yahoo! ID required)

    <*> To change settings via email:
       aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
       aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

  • kc2kjq
    Message 2 of 6 , Jul 24, 2011
      I have notice that USB plugs are not as secure as old DB9...

      Just a slight movement of the USB plug while connected in the port can sometimes break a data connection, (creating errors, or lost- device connections) and sometimes, extra noise into the radio if the plug is moved just right, (I suspect intermittent shield connection for the noise issue).

      This happens with various cords, devices, and computers of mine. And if setup in a vehicle, then breaking these connections is even easier to do, from all the movement.

      Although, I very rarely have issues with the SMALLER end of USB connections. Just the standard rectangular port connections.

      I wish these connections had a way to LOCK them in securely.

      Brian.
    • otobmark
      Message 3 of 6 , Jul 24, 2011
        I will try the ferrite core idea. I just finished an event and between keeping aprsis working as well as verizon usb aircard (pantech290) I had my hands full. The aircard problem was that the vzaccess says it is connected but no data--try to disconnect and program locks--reboot machine. What fun. Is running packet mode better on D710?