Re: [aprsisce] KPC2 and other stuff

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2011
      Ron KC8SFQ wrote...

      > Yup... That's where I am. I'm using the cable I used with the TNC2
      > clone (MFJ) I know that works even though the MFJ falls out of KISS
      > mode whenever it feels like it. The MFJ is advertised to have
      > "Kantronics pinouts" so that should work. So far, no response
      > from the KPC-2.

      The fact that the serial port and cable work with the MFJ should
      indicate that they are both OK, but it never hurts to run a test.

      > My procedure:
      > Start Hyperterm
      > Set a baud rate, flow control and all other settings (hopefully
      > changing only one variable per start up)
      > Lastly, power up the KPC-2 and look for a
      > startup message.

      If you have tried all "baud" settings, I would concur with Lynn that it might
      be in KISS mode. You shouldn't have any flow control turned on. If you
      suspect it is in KISS mode, the trick would be to select the correct baud
      rate and send commands from the terminal program to the KPC-2 to get it
      out of KISS mode... ALT 192, ALT 255,ALT 192. You press and hold the
      ALT key while entering the 3 digits on the numeric keypad ONLY, and
      then releasing the ALT key, and then doing it all over again for the next digit.

      Alternatively, you could do a HARD reset with jumper K3. The advantage
      there would be that you wouldn't have to guess about the "baud" rate and
      you could do an "autobaud" routine with the * asterisk, and then do
      ABAUD 4800 (or 9600 or whatever) and lock the baud rate to a known
      setting. Don't leave it powered on for more than a minute with the jumper
      in the reset position. With the case removed, K3 should be on the left
      side, two rows of chips from the back of the KPC-2. K3 should be in
      the "normal" position when you pop the lid. The "test" position will
      do the reset.

      After you have established communications...

      ABAUD 4800 (or whatever... not slower than 1200)
      DIG OFF
      FLOW OFF
      HI OFF
      MYCALL KC8SFQ (ya gotta put something in there!)
      SW ON
      TXD 15 (Transmit Delay x 10 ms... the default is 30 or 300 ms but
      that is getting kinda long. Experiment to see what your
      radio needs, but don't use an excessively long setting.)
      PERM (so it will remember all of the settings)

      If you want it to be permanently in KISS mode, then do a "KISS ON"
      before the PERM. I prefer to have the APRS client drop it out of KISS
      mode if the client is ever exited.

      If the client is going to put the TNC in KISS mode, the commands are

      KISS ON
      RESET

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
    • kc8sfq@mei.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
        Hi gang:
        First, while I've been reluctant to "live on the bloody edge" of development,(to quote Lynn) it is a delight to watch.

        Secondly, I have been looking at my "Enables" pull down and I see something called "CSV" The only thing I could come up with for that acronym was Circular Speed Vector. I am going to go out on a limb, here, and guess *that* isn't what it stands for. I didn't find any ref in the wiki (at least in the small amount of time I've had recently)

        Thanks & 73  Ron
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
          Comma Separated Values (Grand-daddy of GPX) - Try opening one in Excel if you have it enabled and move around a bit.