KPC2 and other stuff

  • kc8sfq@mei.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2011
      Howdy y'all:
      Yup, it's me again.
      Does anyone here have experience with the KPC2? I came up with one for cheap and I'd like to set it up here in the shack with an older win XP machine to leave running APRSIS-32 pretty much continuously. I can't get Hyperterm to talk to it, I've tried a bunch of baud rates and flow control settings combinations. There's even a possibility that it's dead, though the power light lights. It's a hamfest crap-shoot, but was cheap enough that the case is worth the cost even if I scrap the circuit board. In my research on the WWW, all I can find for documentation is vendors trying to make a buck.

      The other stuff:
      I now have APRSIS-32 running on my laptop, for the moment as a fixed station. It has been running flawlessly. I am amazed by the number and wide area of stations I can see on RF alone, with digi's obviously. Here in south-central Mich, I am plotting stations from Roanoke Va to Stevens Point Wis. Pretty cool. I can't wait to take this setup on the road.

      OK. enough rambling out of me for the evening.
      Good Night and 73: Ron
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2011
        With the KPC2 connected to a Windows PC, open a command prompt and try
        the following bunch of commands after downloading and unzipping
        KissOff.zip from the files section of the group: (Note: Substitute the
        COM port that you know the KPC2 to be connected to)

        kissoff COM1:9600,N,8,1
        kissoff COM1:9600,E,7,1
        kissoff COM1:9600,O,7,1
        kissoff COM1:4800,N,8,1
        kissoff COM1:4800,E,7,1
        kissoff COM1:4800,O,7,1
        kissoff COM1:1200,N,8,1
        kissoff COM1:1200,E,7,1
        kissoff COM1:1200,O,7,1
        kissoff COM1:2400,N,8,1
        kissoff COM1:2400,E,7,1
        kissoff COM1:2400,O,7,1
        kissoff COM1:19200,N,8,1
        kissoff COM1:19200,E,7,1
        kissoff COM1:19200,O,7,1

        Then connect to it with Hypterterm (Tera Term , or whatever) and play
        with various baud rates to see if it responds then.

        PS. KissOff simply sends a 0xC0 0xFF 0xC0 which might break the KPC2
        out of KISS mode if it's in KISS mode, but I'm purely guessing here
        having ZERO experience with KPC2's.

        On 7/5/2011 10:53 PM, kc8sfq@... wrote:
        > Howdy y'all:
        > Yup, it's me again.
        > Does anyone here have experience with the KPC2? I came up with one for cheap and I'd like to set it up here in the shack with an older win XP machine to leave running APRSIS-32 pretty much continuously. I can't get Hyperterm to talk to it, I've tried a bunch of baud rates and flow control settings combinations. There's even a possibility that it's dead, though the power light lights. It's a hamfest crap-shoot, but was cheap enough that the case is worth the cost even if I scrap the circuit board. In my research on the WWW, all I can find for documentation is vendors trying to make a buck.
        >
        > The other stuff:
        > I now have APRSIS-32 running on my laptop, for the moment as a fixed station. It has been running flawlessly. I am amazed by the number and wide area of stations I can see on RF alone, with digi's obviously. Here in south-central Mich, I am plotting stations from Roanoke Va to Stevens Point Wis. Pretty cool. I can't wait to take this setup on the road.
        >
        > OK. enough rambling out of me for the evening.
        > Good Night and 73: Ron
      • Bruce Coates
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2011
        Hi Ron

        I've used the KPC-2s for several years and like them alot. I'm attaching a
        copy of a user manual that I have.

        73, Bruce
        VE5BNC
      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2011
          Ron KC8SFQ wrote...

          > Does anyone here have experience with the KPC2?

          I thought that was a thread about the KPC-2 just a few days ago.
          I think you are looking for...

          KISS ON
          RESTART

          You could PERM it if you want, but my preference is to have the
          APRS client have the TNC exit from KISS mode if I ever exit the
          client.

          You don't want ABAUD AUTO. Instead...

          ABAUD 4800 (or 9600 whatever speed you want to use but it
          should be faster than 1200)

          You could also...

          BE 0
          CW 0
          DIG OFF

          and of course...

          PASSALL OFF (absolutely mandatory!)

          Or is the problem that you can't talk to the TNC yet?

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        • kc8sfq@mei.net
          Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6, 2011
            > Or is the problem that you can't talk to the TNC yet?

            />> 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            ++++++++++++++++++++
            Hi Keith:
            Yup..... That's where I am. I'm using the cable I used with the TNC2 clone (MFJ) I know that works even though the MFJ falls out of KISS mode whenever it feels like it. The MFJ is advertised to have "Kantronics pinouts" so that should work. So far, no response from the KPC2.

            My procedure:
            Start Hyperterm
            Set a baud rate, flow control and all other settings (hopefully changing only one variable per start up)
            Lastly, power up the KPC2 and look for a startup message.

            So far, I can't find a combination that gets me a startup screen or command prompt.

            Lynn:
            Thanks for the list of commands to try, once I'm talking to the KPC2, those should help

            73  Ron
            Message 6 of 9 , Jul 6, 2011
              On 7/6/2011 8:13 AM, kc8sfq@... wrote: Thanks for the list of commands to try, once I'm talking to the KPC2, those should help

              Actually, those were to help you get talking to the KPC2.  I'm guessing that it might be in KISS mode and that string of KissOff commands tries to drop it out of KISS at all reasonable baud rates.  Just don't cycle power after running that string and trying to get its attention with HyperTerm by hitting Enter as I expect it will go back into KISS on a power cycle.

            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 7 of 9 , Jul 6, 2011
                Ron KC8SFQ wrote...

                > Yup... That's where I am. I'm using the cable I used with the TNC2
                > clone (MFJ) I know that works even though the MFJ falls out of KISS
                > mode whenever it feels like it. The MFJ is advertised to have
                > "Kantronics pinouts" so that should work. So far, no response
                > from the KPC-2.

                The fact that the serial port and cable work with the MFJ should
                indicate that they are both OK, but it never hurts to run a test.

                > My procedure:
                > Start Hyperterm
                > Set a baud rate, flow control and all other settings (hopefully
                > changing only one variable per start up)
                > Lastly, power up the KPC-2 and look for a
                > startup message.

                If you have tried all "baud" settings, I would concur with Lynn that it might
                be in KISS mode. You shouldn't have any flow control turned on. If you
                suspect it is in KISS mode, the trick would be to select the correct baud
                rate and send commands from the terminal program to the KPC-2 to get it
                out of KISS mode... ALT 192, ALT 255,ALT 192. You press and hold the
                ALT key while entering the 3 digits on the numeric keypad ONLY, and
                then releasing the ALT key, and then doing it all over again for the next digit.

                Alternatively, you could do a HARD reset with jumper K3. The advantage
                there would be that you wouldn't have to guess about the "baud" rate and
                you could do an "autobaud" routine with the * asterisk, and then do
                ABAUD 4800 (or 9600 or whatever) and lock the baud rate to a known
                setting. Don't leave it powered on for more than a minute with the jumper
                in the reset position. With the case removed, K3 should be on the left
                side, two rows of chips from the back of the KPC-2. K3 should be in
                the "normal" position when you pop the lid. The "test" position will
                do the reset.

                After you have established communications...

                ABAUD 4800 (or whatever... not slower than 1200)
                DIG OFF
                FLOW OFF
                HI OFF
                MYCALL KC8SFQ (ya gotta put something in there!)
                SW ON
                TXD 15 (Transmit Delay x 10 ms... the default is 30 or 300 ms but
                that is getting kinda long. Experiment to see what your
                radio needs, but don't use an excessively long setting.)
                PERM (so it will remember all of the settings)

                If you want it to be permanently in KISS mode, then do a "KISS ON"
                before the PERM. I prefer to have the APRS client drop it out of KISS
                mode if the client is ever exited.

                If the client is going to put the TNC in KISS mode, the commands are

                KISS ON
                RESET

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
              • kc8sfq@mei.net
                Message 8 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
                  Hi gang:
                  First, while I've been reluctant to "live on the bloody edge" of development,(to quote Lynn) it is a delight to watch.

                  Secondly, I have been looking at my "Enables" pull down and I see something called "CSV" The only thing I could come up with for that acronym was Circular Speed Vector. I am going to go out on a limb, here, and guess *that* isn't what it stands for. I didn't find any ref in the wiki (at least in the small amount of time I've had recently)

                  Thanks & 73  Ron
                  Message 9 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
                    Comma Separated Values (Grand-daddy of GPX) - Try opening one in Excel if you have it enabled and move around a bit.