Kenwood TH-D72A GPS pass-through behavior

  • Kurt Savegnago
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
      O.K.

      Insert foot into moutn. Plugged-in the old D7A(g) to Xastir and futzed around with the GPS pass-through. I found if I named "my" station in Xastir the same KC9LDH-X name that is in the D7, the passed-through GPS coordinates are used. I still get a different icon than what I chose.

      I know it is working because there is no GPS attached to the laptop. Just the GPS plugged into the D7's port and the serial to usb converter to the laptop from the D7 from it's computer port. I know the data is being used because when I zoom in on the map, over time, I see tracking drift of the icon.

      Whe I tried the D72A it "WILL" pass-through the strings from an EXTERNALLY connected GPS. The internal one will not pass through. With the 72, the behavior also depended on whether or not the TNC was in APRS or PACKET mode when it was intialized by the Xastir program!

      It appears that Xastir will read the incoming strings but one has to name their icon the same APRS name in the rig. The behavior seen is from the software, Xastir and deals with its' handling of the passed-through strings. Once they get out of the 72, the 72 doesn't control how the data is manipulated. The attached software deals with it and in this case it's
      Xastir on a Linux box.

      What I am finding out here, is what is occurring in the Xastir software and nothing to do with the D72. It appears It will pass through the strings from an externally attached GPS and if Xastir is setup right, will read them as your "base station". I originally though it read them as just another waypoint but looks like I'm wrong there.

      I am not a programmer and don't know the language for initializing TNC's.
      I only used some commands that Kai posted for the D7. I need to look at the initialization statement for Xastir that I edited some time ago and try to make sense out of it.

      I need to get a notebook and document so I can distill a review.

      I'll post my statements if anyone is interested but this is getting OT
      sort of speaking as it deals with Xastir and not the 72 directly.

      Kurt KC9LDH
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
        On 7/5/2011 8:28 AM, Kurt Savegnago wrote:
        > It appears that Xastir will read the incoming strings but one has to name their icon the same APRS name in the rig. The behavior seen is from the software, Xastir and deals with its' handling of the passed-through strings. Once they get out of the 72, the 72 doesn't control how the data is manipulated. The attached software deals with it and in this case it's
        > Xastir on a Linux box.

        Are you using LTMHEAD on or off? With it on, the passthrough (at least
        from my D700) has the MYCALL>GPS followed by the GPSTEXT-selected raw
        NMEA string. With LTMHEAD off, just the raw NMEA string is passed through.

        In the former case, xastir (and nearly any other APRS client) will
        simply see a station called "MYCALL" (which is actually whatever you
        have the radio's MYCALL set to) moving around based on the NMEA string
        contents. I don't know xastir, but it may be coded to detect an
        incoming callsign that matches its own to update its own position as well.

        If LTMHEAD is off, then the receiving program will have to detect raw
        NMEA strings interleaved with APRS packets. This is what APRSISCE/32
        currently does and treats the NMEA strings as GPS input that moves the
        current station. I really don't know what APRSISCE/32 would do in the
        LTMHEAD on case where a station packet is received that matches the
        configured station. I think it might just ignore it assuming it was a
        received digipeat (ie, I don't think I process APRS packets that match
        my own configured callsign-SSID on the assumption that I must have
        generated them to start with).

        I'm asking this as I'm about to do more work in this area in APRSISCE/32
        and would like to have it behave similar to at least one other APRS
        client that supports this interleave.

        As a side note, I'll also be supporting KISS-wrapped NMEA strings as
        supported in the latest TinyTrak4 firmware as soon as I get the time to
        get back into development of APRSISCE/32. My son (KJ4DXK-9) just asked
        me to outfit a TT4 to replace his homebrew tracking application that
        drives a KPC-3+ so I'll have the ultimate motivation to get this support
        included in the client for his use. He'll be tracking with the TT4 and
        an NMEA GPS on Port B with Port A available to connect to APRSISCE/32
        with "free" GPS input via the TT4 feature.

        > I am not a programmer and don't know the language for initializing TNC's.
        > I only used some commands that Kai posted for the D7. I need to look at the initialization statement for Xastir that I edited some time ago and try to make sense out of it.

        From a posting in the Kenwood_TH-D72 group on 7/4 at 3:20am (eastern)
        by N9PBJ, the commands that mess with this when in TNC mode are:

        LOC E 0 (turns off local beaconing)
        LTMON 10 (send a GPS string every 10 seconds)
        LTMHEAD ON (see above, sends raw NMEA if off)
        GPSTEXT $GPRMC (his post has a typo here, selects one NMEA string for
        this use)

        > I'll post my statements if anyone is interested but this is getting OT
        > sort of speaking as it deals with Xastir and not the 72 directly.

        Please keep the copy coming to this group as I'm sure there are D72
        users that are interested here, and I'm interested in supporting as many
        features of the radio as is reasonable.

        PS. Once I get this support built, in conjunction with CONVerse mode
        support, I'll really be hoping that Kenwood "fixes" their firmware to
        pass the internal GPS NMEA strings through. Seems foolish to have a
        passthrough capability to allow the PC to receive the radio's GPS when
        the radio requires an external GPS for that feature to work!

        > Kurt KC9LDH
      • Charles Blackburn
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
          UIVIEW supports it in the d7 and d700.

          always has done. i think it would be a great addition as i dont want to have
          to have 2 gps's (even though i do :P) for this.

          there are posts in the archive from myself with regards to the relevent
          commands. i no longer have the d700 in the work truck (got told to take it out
          so they dont get confused with the work radio they're ripping out at some
          point soon). so i can't really test it here, but i can at home

          charlie
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
            On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

            > Are you using LTMHEAD on or off?  With it on, the passthrough (at least
            > from my D700) has the MYCALL>GPS followed by the GPSTEXT-selected raw
            > NMEA string.  With LTMHEAD off, just the raw NMEA string is passed through.

            LTMHEAD was designed to grab raw GPS strings, and stuff them into an LT buffer.

            It was the original rudimentary way of "Automatic Position Reporting"
            even though that isn't what APRS is all about. There are still people
            out there doing just that...

            http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VE6GC