Re: [aprsisce] Kenwood TH-D72E (GPS pass-through)

  • Bob Harris
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 3 5:29 PM
      More than once I had to do stuff in the firmware to cover mistakes in the hardware. Hi Hi

      On 7/3/2011 8:19 PM, James Ewen wrote: You guys are like a wet blanket on a fire! A good software guy can
      make the hardware do things it never was intended for!

      --

      Bob Harris (K9UDX)
      Bath, NH

    • wayne snell
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 3 5:56 PM
        Hi this is Wayne KC9RMK I dont mean to sound ignorant but how do you go about getting your password for APRSISCEWIN32 I'm new to the group HELP?

        Message 4 of 26 , Jul 3 6:21 PM
          Just ask for a password, and supply a callsign to associate it
          against, and a way to send it to you.

          I can send it to you as soon as I get home from supper. Lynn will
          probably beat me to it though.

          On 7/3/11, wayne snell <fishing948@...> wrote:
          > Hi this is Wayne KC9RMK I dont mean to sound ignorant but how do you go
          > about getting your password for APRSISCEWIN32 I'm new to the group HELP?

        • Rud Merriam
          Message 5 of 26 , Jul 3 6:25 PM
            But Lynn, "Its only software". LOL

            - 73 -
            Rud Merriam K5RUD
            Emergency Coordinator
            Montgomery County ARES®
            Mystic Lake Software

            Message 6 of 26 , Jul 3 6:27 PM
              Or spend hours figuring out what was wrong with the hardware and then spend more time writing a simple program that would convincingly demonstrate to the hardware guy that the hardware actually was wrong, e.g like the signal is supposed to be inverted here but isn't.

              - 73 -
              Rud Merriam K5RUD
              Emergency Coordinator
              Montgomery County ARES®
              Mystic Lake Software

              On 7/3/2011 7:29 PM, Bob Harris wrote:

              More than once I had to do stuff in the firmware to cover mistakes in the hardware. Hi Hi

              On 7/3/2011 8:19 PM, James Ewen wrote:

              You guys are like a wet blanket on a fire! A good software guy can
              make the hardware do things it never was intended for!

              --

              Bob Harris (K9UDX)
              Bath, NH

            • Randy Thomson
              Message 7 of 26 , Jul 3 9:15 PM

                Or, if you already have one for APRSpoint network connection, it’s the same one.

                Just ask for a password, and supply a callsign to associate it
                against, and a way to send it to you.

                I can send it to you as soon as I get home from supper. Lynn will
                probably beat me to it though.

                On 7/3/11, wayne snell <fishing948@...> wrote:
                > Hi this is Wayne KC9RMK I dont mean to sound ignorant but how do you go
                > about getting your password for APRSISCEWIN32 I'm new to the group HELP?

              • Kurt Savegnago
                Message 8 of 26 , Jul 4 6:12 AM
                  Say that to the VX-8R people who were fantasizing all the "neat" B/T things they were going to see with the -8R all with a "firmware" update.  Things like taking the GPS strings
                  off the GPS through a B/T pairing or pair with an external GPS that is B/T capable. Sheesh.

                  Turns out that the B/T for that unit was for pairing with a headset only and the Yaesu H/T products will never be able to use any GPS but what Yaesu provides. (Unless they redesign the hardware)

                  In the end, the -8R got a firmware update where one had to send the unit  back for a board
                  exchange to DR specs.  Sort of like what KW did with the D7A to D7A(g)

                  Folks, if it ain't there in the hardware in the first place, it ain't going to be "turned on" by the software. There has to be the potential for the electrons to flow and do the job intended.
                  Sometimes minor changes can be made by a firmware change due to the complexities of
                  the hardware but most of these are subtle.  Look at the notes with each D72a firmware updates.  They fix relatively minor things. Those "things" were in the hardware design to
                  be turned off or on in the first place.

                  Many devices are over designed with possibilities and sometimes simple code changes can change the character of the device.  Major changes (like converting an audio B/T link to a full featured data link in the VX-8R) isn't going to happen without a major hardware change.  It's just that simple.

                  Firmware coding is not magic.  The trait or feature you want has to be there to be turned on.  If it's not there in the hardware, it's no deal unless the hardware is redesigned.

                                                                         Kurt KC9LDH

                  Message 9 of 26 , Jul 4 10:06 AM
                    Yes, indeed.

                    In addition, consider that the manufacturer's software team probably has lots of things to do, and while it's amazing what a software team CAN do, what they are ALLOWED to do by time, risk, and profit potential can be substantially less.  Embedded systems, considerably more so than other forms of software development, can be frightfully difficult to work on, and even more difficult to test.  And there's always the risk (cost) of a warranty call when someone bricks their product because they had the one magic setting in their configuration that you hadn't considered.  And don't even think about changing anything that might affect a government approval (e.g. anything affecting RF), since those are costly and time consuming to obtain.

                    So, be sure you will be happy with the product as it ships from the factory.  Any upgrades may be a pleasant surprise, but should not be counted on.

                    Greg  KO6TH

                    p.s. all the more reason for someone to open-source the non-RF portion of their product.  That would be a game changer.

                    Message 10 of 26 , Jul 5 5:18 AM
                      Hello,

                      all is working as it must work, and APRSIS is a very nice soft, even is i cannot load a personnal map. Here is Africa, we still need scanned maps

                      But i cannot imagine (understand) why they don't think to implement this function: both APRS and GPS. For me it is so necessary!

                      Tks for all ansewers. Best 73.
                      JF Lorne
                      http://www.le-calao.com
                      ---------------------------------
                      39, rue de la grande vallée
                      91150 Puiselet le marais France
                      ---------------------------------
                      Tél.: 33 (0) 1 64 95 81 30
                      Tél.: 33 (0) 1 46 55 11 67
                      Port.: 33 (0)6 50 35 84 12

                      Message 11 of 26 , Jul 5 6:11 AM
                        On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 6:18 AM, JF Lorne <jf.lorne@...> wrote:

                        > all is working as it must work, and APRSIS is a very nice soft,
                        > even is i cannot load a personnal map. Here is Africa, we still
                        > need scanned maps

                        No you don't...
                        http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=14.48679&lon=-17.07513&zoom=15&layers=M

                        There are streets in La Somone. You can add more detail by joining OSM
                        and adding the detail that you want.

                        > But i cannot imagine (understand) why they don't think to
                        > implement this function: both APRS and GPS. For me it is so necessary!

                        Lynn has scanned maps on the "to do" list, but they aren't implemented
                        yet. In the mean time, grab your GPS and wander the streets, gather
                        tracks, upload them to OSM, and make your own maps.

                        Message 12 of 26 , Jul 5 6:43 AM
                          Someone has to be the watchdog?

                          ;)

                          Sorry.. us embedded programmers must tick together otherwise we'll need to
                          switch banks :)

                          Charlie

                          Message 13 of 26 , Jul 5 6:44 AM
                            Typing?