Re: [aprsisce] Kenwood TH-D72E (GPS pass-through)

  • Bob Harris
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 3, 2011
      With 30 years of doing programming for embedded systems, I can wholeheartedly concur with Lynn

      Things that seem easy to the non-embedded programming world can
      sometimes be non-trivial in an embedded system like a radio. Simply
      arbitrating and interleaving TNC and GPS data to the USB port can be
      more difficult than it would seem.

      --

      Bob Harris (K9UDX)
      Bath, NH

      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 3, 2011
        You guys are like a wet blanket on a fire! A good software guy can
        make the hardware do things it never was intended for!

        8). BTW, that's a smiley face, aka joking!

        On 7/3/11, Bob Harris <knineudx@...> wrote:
        > With 30 years of doing programming for embedded systems, I can
        > wholeheartedly concur with Lynn
        >
        > On 7/3/2011 7:09 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
        >> Things that seem easy to the non-embedded programming world can
        >> sometimes be non-trivial in an embedded system like a radio. Simply
        >> arbitrating and interleaving TNC and GPS data to the USB port can be
        >> more difficult than it would seem.
        >
        > --
        >
        > Bob Harris (K9UDX)
        > Bath, NH

      • Charles Blackburn
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 3, 2011
          Sorry.. us embedded programmers must tick together otherwise we'll need to
          switch banks :)

          Charlie

            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 3, 2011
              Hi this is Wayne KC9RMK I dont mean to sound ignorant but how do you go about getting your password for APRSISCEWIN32 I'm new to the group HELP?

              Message 7 of 26 , Jul 3, 2011
                Just ask for a password, and supply a callsign to associate it
                against, and a way to send it to you.

                I can send it to you as soon as I get home from supper. Lynn will
                probably beat me to it though.

                On 7/3/11, wayne snell <fishing948@...> wrote:
                > Hi this is Wayne KC9RMK I dont mean to sound ignorant but how do you go
                > about getting your password for APRSISCEWIN32 I'm new to the group HELP?

              • Rud Merriam
                Message 8 of 26 , Jul 3, 2011
                  But Lynn, "Its only software". LOL

                  - 73 -
                  Rud Merriam K5RUD
                  Emergency Coordinator
                  Montgomery County ARES®
                  Mystic Lake Software

                  Message 9 of 26 , Jul 3, 2011
                    Or spend hours figuring out what was wrong with the hardware and then spend more time writing a simple program that would convincingly demonstrate to the hardware guy that the hardware actually was wrong, e.g like the signal is supposed to be inverted here but isn't.

                    - 73 -
                    Rud Merriam K5RUD
                    Emergency Coordinator
                    Montgomery County ARES®
                    Mystic Lake Software

                    On 7/3/2011 7:29 PM, Bob Harris wrote:

                    More than once I had to do stuff in the firmware to cover mistakes in the hardware. Hi Hi

                    On 7/3/2011 8:19 PM, James Ewen wrote:

                    You guys are like a wet blanket on a fire! A good software guy can
                    make the hardware do things it never was intended for!

                    --

                    Bob Harris (K9UDX)
                    Bath, NH

                  • Randy Thomson
                    Message 10 of 26 , Jul 3, 2011

                      Or, if you already have one for APRSpoint network connection, it’s the same one.

                      Just ask for a password, and supply a callsign to associate it
                      against, and a way to send it to you.

                      I can send it to you as soon as I get home from supper. Lynn will
                      probably beat me to it though.

                      On 7/3/11, wayne snell <fishing948@...> wrote:
                      > Hi this is Wayne KC9RMK I dont mean to sound ignorant but how do you go
                      > about getting your password for APRSISCEWIN32 I'm new to the group HELP?

                    • Kurt Savegnago
                      Message 11 of 26 , Jul 4, 2011
                        Say that to the VX-8R people who were fantasizing all the "neat" B/T things they were going to see with the -8R all with a "firmware" update.  Things like taking the GPS strings
                        off the GPS through a B/T pairing or pair with an external GPS that is B/T capable. Sheesh.

                        Turns out that the B/T for that unit was for pairing with a headset only and the Yaesu H/T products will never be able to use any GPS but what Yaesu provides. (Unless they redesign the hardware)

                        In the end, the -8R got a firmware update where one had to send the unit  back for a board
                        exchange to DR specs.  Sort of like what KW did with the D7A to D7A(g)

                        Folks, if it ain't there in the hardware in the first place, it ain't going to be "turned on" by the software. There has to be the potential for the electrons to flow and do the job intended.
                        Sometimes minor changes can be made by a firmware change due to the complexities of
                        the hardware but most of these are subtle.  Look at the notes with each D72a firmware updates.  They fix relatively minor things. Those "things" were in the hardware design to
                        be turned off or on in the first place.

                        Many devices are over designed with possibilities and sometimes simple code changes can change the character of the device.  Major changes (like converting an audio B/T link to a full featured data link in the VX-8R) isn't going to happen without a major hardware change.  It's just that simple.

                        Firmware coding is not magic.  The trait or feature you want has to be there to be turned on.  If it's not there in the hardware, it's no deal unless the hardware is redesigned.

                                                                               Kurt KC9LDH

                        Message 12 of 26 , Jul 4, 2011
                          Yes, indeed.

                          In addition, consider that the manufacturer's software team probably has lots of things to do, and while it's amazing what a software team CAN do, what they are ALLOWED to do by time, risk, and profit potential can be substantially less.  Embedded systems, considerably more so than other forms of software development, can be frightfully difficult to work on, and even more difficult to test.  And there's always the risk (cost) of a warranty call when someone bricks their product because they had the one magic setting in their configuration that you hadn't considered.  And don't even think about changing anything that might affect a government approval (e.g. anything affecting RF), since those are costly and time consuming to obtain.

                          So, be sure you will be happy with the product as it ships from the factory.  Any upgrades may be a pleasant surprise, but should not be counted on.

                          Greg  KO6TH

                          p.s. all the more reason for someone to open-source the non-RF portion of their product.  That would be a game changer.

                          Message 13 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
                            Hello,

                            all is working as it must work, and APRSIS is a very nice soft, even is i cannot load a personnal map. Here is Africa, we still need scanned maps

                            But i cannot imagine (understand) why they don't think to implement this function: both APRS and GPS. For me it is so necessary!

                            Tks for all ansewers. Best 73.
                            JF Lorne
                            http://www.le-calao.com
                            ---------------------------------
                            39, rue de la grande vallée
                            91150 Puiselet le marais France
                            ---------------------------------
                            Tél.: 33 (0) 1 64 95 81 30
                            Tél.: 33 (0) 1 46 55 11 67
                            Port.: 33 (0)6 50 35 84 12

                            Message 14 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
                              On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 6:18 AM, JF Lorne <jf.lorne@...> wrote:

                              > all is working as it must work, and APRSIS is a very nice soft,
                              > even is i cannot load a personnal map. Here is Africa, we still
                              > need scanned maps

                              No you don't...
                              http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=14.48679&lon=-17.07513&zoom=15&layers=M

                              There are streets in La Somone. You can add more detail by joining OSM
                              and adding the detail that you want.

                              > But i cannot imagine (understand) why they don't think to
                              > implement this function: both APRS and GPS. For me it is so necessary!

                              Lynn has scanned maps on the "to do" list, but they aren't implemented
                              yet. In the mean time, grab your GPS and wander the streets, gather
                              tracks, upload them to OSM, and make your own maps.

                              Message 15 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
                                Someone has to be the watchdog?

                                ;)

                                Message 16 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011