RE: [aprsisce] Kenwood TH-D72E (GPS pass-through)

  • Charles Blackburn
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 3, 2011
      Well if the receiving software was expecting kiss frames, I would barf on
      the gps sentences :)

      Then you get into the complicated realms of a proprietry data stream.

      Charlie
    • Bob Harris
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 3, 2011
        With 30 years of doing programming for embedded systems, I can wholeheartedly concur with Lynn

        Things that seem easy to the non-embedded programming world can
        sometimes be non-trivial in an embedded system like a radio. Simply
        arbitrating and interleaving TNC and GPS data to the USB port can be
        more difficult than it would seem.

        --

        Bob Harris (K9UDX)
        Bath, NH

        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 3, 2011
          You guys are like a wet blanket on a fire! A good software guy can
          make the hardware do things it never was intended for!

          8). BTW, that's a smiley face, aka joking!

          On 7/3/11, Bob Harris <knineudx@...> wrote:
          > With 30 years of doing programming for embedded systems, I can
          > wholeheartedly concur with Lynn
          >
          > On 7/3/2011 7:09 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
          >> Things that seem easy to the non-embedded programming world can
          >> sometimes be non-trivial in an embedded system like a radio. Simply
          >> arbitrating and interleaving TNC and GPS data to the USB port can be
          >> more difficult than it would seem.
          >
          > --
          >
          > Bob Harris (K9UDX)
          > Bath, NH

        • Charles Blackburn
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 3, 2011
            Sorry.. us embedded programmers must tick together otherwise we'll need to
            switch banks :)

            Charlie

              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 3, 2011
                Hi this is Wayne KC9RMK I dont mean to sound ignorant but how do you go about getting your password for APRSISCEWIN32 I'm new to the group HELP?

                Message 8 of 26 , Jul 3, 2011
                  Just ask for a password, and supply a callsign to associate it
                  against, and a way to send it to you.

                  I can send it to you as soon as I get home from supper. Lynn will
                  probably beat me to it though.

                  On 7/3/11, wayne snell <fishing948@...> wrote:
                  > Hi this is Wayne KC9RMK I dont mean to sound ignorant but how do you go
                  > about getting your password for APRSISCEWIN32 I'm new to the group HELP?

                • Rud Merriam
                  Message 9 of 26 , Jul 3, 2011
                    But Lynn, "Its only software". LOL

                    - 73 -
                    Rud Merriam K5RUD
                    Emergency Coordinator
                    Montgomery County ARES®
                    Mystic Lake Software

                    Message 10 of 26 , Jul 3, 2011
                      Or spend hours figuring out what was wrong with the hardware and then spend more time writing a simple program that would convincingly demonstrate to the hardware guy that the hardware actually was wrong, e.g like the signal is supposed to be inverted here but isn't.

                      - 73 -
                      Rud Merriam K5RUD
                      Emergency Coordinator
                      Montgomery County ARES®
                      Mystic Lake Software

                      On 7/3/2011 7:29 PM, Bob Harris wrote:

                      More than once I had to do stuff in the firmware to cover mistakes in the hardware. Hi Hi

                      On 7/3/2011 8:19 PM, James Ewen wrote:

                      You guys are like a wet blanket on a fire! A good software guy can
                      make the hardware do things it never was intended for!

                      --

                      Bob Harris (K9UDX)
                      Bath, NH

                    • Randy Thomson
                      Message 11 of 26 , Jul 3, 2011

                        Or, if you already have one for APRSpoint network connection, it’s the same one.

                        Just ask for a password, and supply a callsign to associate it
                        against, and a way to send it to you.

                        I can send it to you as soon as I get home from supper. Lynn will
                        probably beat me to it though.

                        On 7/3/11, wayne snell <fishing948@...> wrote:
                        > Hi this is Wayne KC9RMK I dont mean to sound ignorant but how do you go
                        > about getting your password for APRSISCEWIN32 I'm new to the group HELP?

                      • Kurt Savegnago
                        Message 12 of 26 , Jul 4, 2011
                          Say that to the VX-8R people who were fantasizing all the "neat" B/T things they were going to see with the -8R all with a "firmware" update.  Things like taking the GPS strings
                          off the GPS through a B/T pairing or pair with an external GPS that is B/T capable. Sheesh.

                          Turns out that the B/T for that unit was for pairing with a headset only and the Yaesu H/T products will never be able to use any GPS but what Yaesu provides. (Unless they redesign the hardware)

                          In the end, the -8R got a firmware update where one had to send the unit  back for a board
                          exchange to DR specs.  Sort of like what KW did with the D7A to D7A(g)

                          Folks, if it ain't there in the hardware in the first place, it ain't going to be "turned on" by the software. There has to be the potential for the electrons to flow and do the job intended.
                          Sometimes minor changes can be made by a firmware change due to the complexities of
                          the hardware but most of these are subtle.  Look at the notes with each D72a firmware updates.  They fix relatively minor things. Those "things" were in the hardware design to
                          be turned off or on in the first place.

                          Many devices are over designed with possibilities and sometimes simple code changes can change the character of the device.  Major changes (like converting an audio B/T link to a full featured data link in the VX-8R) isn't going to happen without a major hardware change.  It's just that simple.

                          Firmware coding is not magic.  The trait or feature you want has to be there to be turned on.  If it's not there in the hardware, it's no deal unless the hardware is redesigned.

                                                                                 Kurt KC9LDH

                          Message 13 of 26 , Jul 4, 2011
                            Yes, indeed.

                            In addition, consider that the manufacturer's software team probably has lots of things to do, and while it's amazing what a software team CAN do, what they are ALLOWED to do by time, risk, and profit potential can be substantially less.  Embedded systems, considerably more so than other forms of software development, can be frightfully difficult to work on, and even more difficult to test.  And there's always the risk (cost) of a warranty call when someone bricks their product because they had the one magic setting in their configuration that you hadn't considered.  And don't even think about changing anything that might affect a government approval (e.g. anything affecting RF), since those are costly and time consuming to obtain.

                            So, be sure you will be happy with the product as it ships from the factory.  Any upgrades may be a pleasant surprise, but should not be counted on.

                            Greg  KO6TH

                            p.s. all the more reason for someone to open-source the non-RF portion of their product.  That would be a game changer.

                            Message 14 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
                              Hello,

                              all is working as it must work, and APRSIS is a very nice soft, even is i cannot load a personnal map. Here is Africa, we still need scanned maps

                              But i cannot imagine (understand) why they don't think to implement this function: both APRS and GPS. For me it is so necessary!

                              Tks for all ansewers. Best 73.
                              JF Lorne
                              http://www.le-calao.com
                              ---------------------------------
                              39, rue de la grande vallée
                              91150 Puiselet le marais France
                              ---------------------------------
                              Tél.: 33 (0) 1 64 95 81 30
                              Tél.: 33 (0) 1 46 55 11 67
                              Port.: 33 (0)6 50 35 84 12

                              Message 15 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
                                On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 6:18 AM, JF Lorne <jf.lorne@...> wrote:

                                > all is working as it must work, and APRSIS is a very nice soft,
                                > even is i cannot load a personnal map. Here is Africa, we still
                                > need scanned maps

                                No you don't...
                                http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=14.48679&lon=-17.07513&zoom=15&layers=M

                                There are streets in La Somone. You can add more detail by joining OSM
                                and adding the detail that you want.

                                > But i cannot imagine (understand) why they don't think to
                                > implement this function: both APRS and GPS. For me it is so necessary!

                                Lynn has scanned maps on the "to do" list, but they aren't implemented
                                yet. In the mean time, grab your GPS and wander the streets, gather
                                tracks, upload them to OSM, and make your own maps.

                                Message 16 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
                                  Someone has to be the watchdog?

                                  ;)

                                  Message 17 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011