Re: [aprsisce] Re: Aprs

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2011
      On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Kenneth Wing <kenneth.wing@...> wrote:

      > The function of this exercise is beyond me.  Official powers that be do
      > not as yet tell me other than put a server up on the mountain
      > I have looked into D-Star and have decided that is not practical

      How did you determine that D*Star is not practical if you have no idea
      what it is that you are supposed to be doing?

      > As far as I have been to look into the Crystal ball Non Ham county
      > people can get on the internet and see how the search is going on

      So this statement can be looked at at least two ways.

      Are you being asked to provide internet access to these "Non Ham
      county people" when they are in the valley? APRSISCE/32 is not a WIFI
      access point.

      Are you being asked to deliver position information from the APRS RF
      network to the APRS-IS and subsequently allow these "Non Ham county
      people" to view the information on the internet? If so, you've got
      that done already.

      Here's the fill-in digipeater as seen on the internet.
      http://aprs.fi/W6CO-5. Any SAR teams on a search that can be heard and
      digipeated by W6CO-5 will be seen on aprs.fi and other APRS web
      servers.

    • Richard Johnson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2011
        Determine the BUSINESS NEED (what to they want) BEFORE you come up with a solution. If you don't, you probably will waste a lot of time and money, and end up with a mediocre or non-functional system.

        Ken - N9KB