Feature request - View SOTAs

  • Mads
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2011
      Is it possible to add a function that will load the positions of SOTAs (Summits On The Air)? The complete list of qualifying summits is available as a google kmz file. This function could be exactly the same as the one for loading geocaches except the format of the file.

      This would be a very handy tool for SOTA chasers as you could watch how far the SOTA activator is from the summit if he/she carries an APRS tracker.

      73! Mads, la1tpa
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2011
        Is this information file available for on-demand query similar to how
        View / EchoLinks works? Even better, is there a URL or SOAP query I can
        do and provide a coordindate and range to get the SOTA targets in that
        circle? I looked at the SOTA database stuff and it doesn't look
        imminently queriable and there seems to be LOTS of SOTAs world-wide.
        Not to mention the valid date ranges that showed up in the .CSV download.

        PS. Words that programmers love to hate "exactly the
        same"..."except"... As in, "driving a car is exactly the same as
        driving a Mac Truck except the truck is a little bit heavier". Or
        "Flying a 747 is exactly the same as flying a Cessna except you can't
        see the ground after you land".

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
          Thanks for your reply Lynn!

          The file can be downloaded from

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
            Nope.  The file needs to be generally available, not hidden behind a logon-required UR.

            Files

              Files Help

            To enjoy this Web-only feature of Summits, you need to enable Web Access.

            With Web Access, you'll enjoy your group's online photos, polls, links, message archive search, and more!

            Get Web Access to Summits

            If you already receive email from Summits, it's easy to get Web Access and make your Yahoo! Group experience complete.

            To activate Web Access for Summits, click "Get Started Now".

            Not a Member of Summits?

            If you are not currently a member of Summits, join this group now.

            On 7/1/2011 4:51 PM, Mads wrote:
            Thanks for your reply Lynn!

            The file can be downloaded from

            73! Mads, la1tpa

            Is this information file available for on-demand query similar to how
            View / EchoLinks works?  Even better, is there a URL or SOAP query I can
            do and provide a coordindate and range to get the SOTA targets in that
            circle?  I looked at the SOTA database stuff and it doesn't look
            imminently queriable and there seems to be LOTS of SOTAs world-wide.
            Not to mention the valid date ranges that showed up in the .CSV download.

            PS.  Words that programmers love to hate "exactly the
            same"..."except"...  As in, "driving a car is exactly the same as
            driving a Mac Truck except the truck is a little bit heavier".  Or
            "Flying a 747 is exactly the same as flying a Cessna except you can't
            see the ground after you land".

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
                aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Mads
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
              Lynn,

              I'm not sure I managed to describe the feature I was looking for properly, probably due to language difficulties. I missed an option that would let me view sota .kmz files located on my own hard drive, exactly like the View - Geocaches option ;D

              But, forget all about it. I'll find another way.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
                On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Mads <la1tpa.qrp@...> wrote:

                > I'm not sure I managed to describe the feature I was looking for
                > properly, probably due to language difficulties. I missed an option
                > that would let me view sota .kmz files located on my own hard drive,
                > exactly like the View - Geocaches option ;D
                >
                > But, forget all about it. I'll find another way.

                Convert the KML file into a UI-View style Overlay POS file and you
                should have it.

                Here's a copy of a previously posted sample of overlay entries.

                * ironman route
                Aid-4!3031.48N/09543.77WATX Ironman Aid Station 4
                Aid-5!3032.56N/09550.19WATX Ironman Aid Station 5
                Aid-6!3030.00N/09553.45WATX Ironman Aid Station 6
                Aid-7!3027.00N/09548.20WATX Ironman Aid Station 7