Re: Aprs

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 29, 2011
      Ken,

      I'm cross-posting this to the APRSISCE Yahoo group to see if anyone
      there can lend any experience to your needs. If you can post a response
      to this message describing more details of what you're tasked with and
      what features you have not found to be met by APRSISCE/32, we can work
      through them.

      If APRSISCE/32 can't do it, then I suspect there isn't an APRS client
      out there right now that can do it. But that might be a bit of vanity
      talking.

      PS. Sent by Thunderbird from my Dell Vostro 1700 with Windows 7
      Professional 64. <grin>

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 29, 2011
        Hmm, I Google Adobo and I come up with food. Thanks, now I am hungry.

        Ken, describe what you need to accomplish. Maybe we can help you figure it out.

        Thanks!

        Fred, N7FMH

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 29, 2011

          It’s not clear to me what Ken is trying to do, will await Ken posting details

          Hmm, I Google Adobo and I come up with food. Thanks, now I am hungry.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobo

          Ken, describe what you need to accomplish. Maybe we can help you figure it out.

          Thanks!

          Fred, N7FMH

          I'm cross-posting this to the APRSISCE Yahoo group to see if anyone
          there can lend any experience to your needs. If you can post a response
          to this message describing more details of what you're tasked with and
          what features you have not found to be met by APRSISCE/32, we can work
          through them.

          If APRSISCE/32 can't do it, then I suspect there isn't an APRS client
          out there right now that can do it. But that might be a bit of vanity
          talking.

          PS. Sent by Thunderbird from my Dell Vostro 1700 with Windows 7
          Professional 64. <grin>

          On 6/29/2011 3:57 PM, Kenneth.wing wrote:

          > Sent from my iPad
          >
          > I am beginning to think that this program will not do what I have been tasked to do.
          >
          > I have adobo w6co-5 and was asked to add a server to it for search and rescue use. The ability to map those in the field and have the Command to view what going on
          >
          > Ken wb6ivk

        • Kenneth Wing
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 30, 2011
            Let me break this down into steps

            1: mountain top WY-FI has been established
            2: county donated server (can't stand noise and power drain - Built Atom board up for replacement(
            3: looking for server software at this time
            4: establish link to APRS digi
            5: establish link to D-Star repeater

            item 4: is for Search and Rescue use and is why I was looking at APRSis32

            Ken WB6IVK

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 30, 2011
              You really haven't explained what it is that you are trying to do yet.

              If you want to have an APRS program running as an i-gate between the
              APRS-IS and RF, then this program has that capability.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 30, 2011
                  Can the PC see the internet? IF so, click toolbar > enables
                  > Internet access. Done.

                  I'm cross-posting this to the APRSISCE Yahoo group to see if anyone
                  there can lend any experience to your needs. If you can post a response
                  to this message describing more details of what you're tasked with and
                  what features you have not found to be met by APRSISCE/32, we can work
                  through them.

                  If APRSISCE/32 can't do it, then I suspect there isn't an APRS client
                  out there right now that can do it. But that might be a bit of vanity
                  talking.

                  PS. Sent by Thunderbird from my Dell Vostro 1700 with Windows 7
                  Professional 64. <grin>

                  On 6/29/2011 3:57 PM, Kenneth.wing wrote:

                  > Sent from my iPad
                  >
                  > I am beginning to think that this program will not do what I have been tasked to do.
                  >
                  > I have adobo w6co-5 and was asked to add a server to it for search and rescue use. The ability to map those in the field and have the Command to view what going on
                  >
                  > Ken wb6ivk

                • Kenneth Wing
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 30, 2011
                    I have a radio hooked up to a KPC 3+ digipeating the signals herd in Napa Valley
                    The server software is yet to be determined
                    The function of this exercise is beyond me.  Official powers that be do not as yet tell me other than put a server up on the mountain

                    I have looked into D-Star and have decided that is not practical

                    As far as I have been to look into the Crystal ball Non Ham county people can get on the internet and see how the search is going on

                    Beyond that I Know Nothing

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 30, 2011
                        On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Kenneth Wing <kenneth.wing@...> wrote:

                        > The function of this exercise is beyond me.  Official powers that be do
                        > not as yet tell me other than put a server up on the mountain
                        > I have looked into D-Star and have decided that is not practical

                        How did you determine that D*Star is not practical if you have no idea
                        what it is that you are supposed to be doing?

                        > As far as I have been to look into the Crystal ball Non Ham county
                        > people can get on the internet and see how the search is going on

                        So this statement can be looked at at least two ways.

                        Are you being asked to provide internet access to these "Non Ham
                        county people" when they are in the valley? APRSISCE/32 is not a WIFI
                        access point.

                        Are you being asked to deliver position information from the APRS RF
                        network to the APRS-IS and subsequently allow these "Non Ham county
                        people" to view the information on the internet? If so, you've got
                        that done already.

                        Here's the fill-in digipeater as seen on the internet.
                        http://aprs.fi/W6CO-5. Any SAR teams on a search that can be heard and
                        digipeated by W6CO-5 will be seen on aprs.fi and other APRS web
                        servers.

                      • Richard Johnson
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 1, 2011
                          Determine the BUSINESS NEED (what to they want) BEFORE you come up with a solution. If you don't, you probably will waste a lot of time and money, and end up with a mediocre or non-functional system.

                          Ken - N9KB