Why OSM? (was: prefetch zoom)

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2011
      On 5/31/2011 7:08 AM, Jess Hunter wrote:
      On another topic, do you mind me asking why you chose the OSM maps over the Census TIGER/Line maps for APRSISCE?
      If you ever get a chance to play around with MARPLOT you'll see that you are able to download individual counties ahead of time.  Not asking for a change, just wondering why you picked what you did.

      Simple answer: Licensing.  OSM is free to use for any purpose.  All of the other options at the time (Yahoo and Google primarily) required a developer to register and agree to restrictions that I found unacceptable.  As a matter of fact, one of them actually disallowed use of their maps with any GPS-sourced data newer than something like 4 hours!

      PS.  I'm doing some catchup of e-mails that I didn't take the time to answer while on vacation.  Sorry about the delays!

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 2011
        On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        <kj4erj@...> wrote:

        > On another topic, do you mind me asking why you chose the OSM maps
        > over the Census TIGER/Line maps for APRSISCE?

        Another HUGE reason would be that the TIGER/Line maps only cover one
        country on the face of the Earth. OSM covers the world.

        (Yes, there is stuff outside of the lower 48)
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2011
          And the Tiger server is offline of something like that. At least that is what I garnered from the Xastir list.

          OSM should be around for a long while.