Re: APRSIS32 I-gate questions

  • Richard Johnson
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 5, 2011
      Ok, More stuff to digest.

      I'll change the xml file tomorrow to what you suggest.. Thanks for finding this problem.

      I've got two OT+USB units here. I'll consider trying one of them. I do not have an OT2. I have a total of three 9612s given to me by the tower owner. I plan to make one of them into a digi-peater for a location out in our black hole no coverage area. I will not start on that for at least a month due to other non-ham projects or trips waiting to be done first. The third one is up on the tower now and maybe scrap. I'll find out when it comes down to the ground again.

      One other thing I noticed tonight. When I see the same packet multiple times in the RF to IS trace, One showed up three times but the scrolling window that shows all stations showed it as one entry with SSID*3. I can watch it increment in the scrolling window from SSID* to SSID*2 and then SSID*3. This has me thinking that he has already handled the multiple packet issue. I'm just seeing it in the trace log but the duplicate packets may not be actually going out on the Internet. I'd have to fire up my Ethernet packet sniffer on the Ethernet side to prove this one way or the other.

      I've got enough to figure out here so I need to separate the important stuff from the not so important stuff.

      I looked up definition of "average terrain" for APRS they stated it was an average within 10 mile radius of the station. It not much help since we are covering much greater distances. Heck it is an 11 mile trip just for me to get to town. This whole issue is not really important so why not just forget it for now.

      On the message count, I was mostly trying to understand what I am seeing. I'm not looking for any program changes.

      I think I understand the range vs. m/xx filter.

      Thanks for all the help. We got power back and now my garage door decided to go up on it's own and stick there in the middle of the night. That is the first thing on my list to go fix in the AM. I'm thinking it is the motor starting capacitor. Tomorrow is Sunday so I'll have to wait a day to find another capacitor if that is what I need. I also need to replace a front tire on one of my motorcycles tomorrow.

      Thanks again for all of the help.

      Ken - N9KB

> [...]
      > > is not a fixed number as you move from station to station across
      > > multiple counties.
      >
      > Actually, the average height of the terrain is a fixed number. That's
      > what average means. Take all the measured heights, and average them to
      > find the average height of the terrain over the area. Does it give the
      > exact height of the terrain at every single point in the area? No...
      > it is the average, not the actual height.
      >
      > For APRS and the generalized propagation reporting available, HAAT is
      > quite fine for the concept. There is no facility for reporting every
      > square inch of radio coverage in the APRS protocol.

      > >> Can you provided copies of the packets being gated multiple times?
      > >> I've had a quick look at the stations heard and gated but don't see
      > >> multiple copies gated by your station. Now if you are talking about
      > >> seeing packets being heard multiple times at your station via
      > >> different routes, that is normal operation. You will hear multiple
      > >> copies via different routes if your digipeater is part of an APRS
      > >> network where you can hear neighboring digipeaters. Duplicate
      > >> filtering will cause only the first copy to be forwarded to the
      > >> APRS-IS stream.
      > >
      > > Here is some recent I-gate traffic on this station in test at my home:
      > >
      > > Note that some traffic get's I-gated 2 or 3 time for the same packet.
      > > This is at 65 feet AGL (my test site).  What happens when I to to 350 feet AGL on the tower.
      >
      > You're going to have to dig a hole and bury the digipeater.
      >
      > > W9AZ-2>BEACON,WIDE2-1,qAR,KB9KRI:
      > > W9AZ-2>BEACON,W9AZ-1*,WIDE2*,qAR,KB9KRI:
      >
      > > WD9EPF>APRS,WIDE2-2,qAR,KB9KRI:
      > > WD9EPF>APRS,W9AZ-2*,WIDE2-1,qAR,KB9KRI:
      >
      > I've removed the payload as it is not germane to the discussion.
      >
      > An APRS network consists of digipeaters that are arranged such that
      > they can hear their neighbors. They are situated such that a packet
      > sent by a user gets picked up by a digipeater, and passed on to the
      > next digipeater(s) in the network. Digipeater overlap means that some
      > user stations can be heard by one or more digipeaters.
      >
      > What you are seeing above is the initial packet in each case being
      > heard directly by your station. The second copy is after the packet
      > has been handled by another digipeater.
      >
      > The only way that you can ensure that you only see a single copy of
      > any packet is to place your digipeater/i-gate in a location where
      > there are no other digipeaters around. When you are part of a network,
      > you ARE going to see copies of the packets.
      >
      > I see in your next email that you are running only an i-gate, with no
      > digipeating... Putting it up as a digipeater and i-gating at home
      > isn't an option then...
      >
      > If you lose communication to the TNC and it is in KISS mode, I guess
      > the only option with this hardware is to pay the climber.
      >
      > How about using different hardware?
      >
      > The Argent Data Systems OT2M is an option. It will run in KISS mode,
      > and you can also send APRS messages to it with commands embedded to

    • Richard Johnson
      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 17, 2011
        Thank you for the great explanation. I have been double clicking on the right vertical bar and watching the numbers.

        Ken - N9KB