Connection Options

  • Rob Giuliano
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2011
      I've read a lot about Bluetooth modules and such for connecting to APRSISCE/32.

      I have a Bluetooth SMD Module RN-42, and plan on trying that out for connecting to a TNC or GPS.

      Has anyone tried anything like WiFly and a TCP connection?
      I have an Arduino and I've seen the WiFly addon.  That got me thinking of how that could help connect multiple components (GPS, Radio, etc).  With some kind of controller (PIC, Arduino, etc) built into it, one might be able to break out signals/omponents by ports and control a radio as well.
      Has anyone looked at anything like that for a connection option?

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
        The Tilt can connect via W-Fi as well as Bluetooth, although on mine apparently not at the same time. I have connected the Tilt to a work laptop near me via an AD-HOC connection. The laptop is not configured to let the Tilt access the internet. If I knew which laptop I should be able to change the settings, but it isn't mine.

        Sometime ago I used a Lantronix Wi-Port as a serial tunnel. It worked fine so I don't suspect you would have too much trouble with anything similar you might be looking at.

        We used the X-Port (ethernet to serial) extensively in a previous product. It worked great. I bought some for myself to use in the vehicle with an ethernet switch. That project has been back-burnered indefinitely for now.

        Give it a whirl! Let us know.

        Best regards,
        fred, N7FMH

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
          Thanks for the info!

          I've got a couple projects ahead of it, but this has some potential!