Re: [aprsisce] Digest Number 720[2 Attachments]

  • John King
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2011
      On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 5:48 PM, <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

      1a.
      Re: Aprsisce digi capable.. From: vk2asy
      1b.
      Re: Aprsisce digi capable.. From: apenadragon
      1c.
      Re: Aprsisce digi capable.. From: Fred Hillhouse
      1d.
      Re: Aprsisce digi capable.. From: apenadragon
      1e.
      Re: Aprsisce digi capable.. From: Fred Hillhouse
      1f.
      Re: Aprsisce digi capable.. From: apenadragon
      1g.
      Re: Aprsisce digi capable.. From: Andre
      1h.
      Re: Aprsisce digi capable.. From: Fred Hillhouse
      1i.
      Re: Aprsisce digi capable.. From: apenadragon
      1j.
      Re: Aprsisce digi capable.. From: Fred Hillhouse
      1k.
      Re: Aprsisce digi capable.. From: apenadragon
      2a.
      Re: Mystery Ambulance symbols From: Tony Hunt
      2b.
      Re: Mystery Ambulance symbols From: Ian Wade G3NRW
      2c.
      Re: Mystery Ambulance symbols From: James Ewen
      3a.
      NWS Warnings/watches From: apenadragon
      3b.
      Re: NWS Warnings/watches From: ae5pl
      3c.
      Re: NWS Warnings/watches From: apenadragon
      4a.
      New computer, new problems (drat) From: kc8sfq@...
      4b.
      Re: New computer, new problems (drat) [2 Attachments] From: Fred Hillhouse
      4c.
      Re: New computer, new problems (drat) From: apenadragon
      4d.
      Re: New computer, new problems (drat) From: Steve Daniels
      4e.
      Re: New computer, new problems (drat) From: Pete Hodgo
      5.
      Re: [aprssig] Vicinity Plots on APRS From: Randy Allen - KA0AZS
      6.
      Golden Packet From: Fred Hillhouse
      7.
      Fw: Vicinity Plots on APRS From: Tony Hunt

      Messages

      1a.

      Re: Aprsisce digi capable..

      Posted by: "vk2asy" vk2asy@...   vk2asy

      Wed Jun 1, 2011 3:10 am (PDT)

      My thought on extending hops beyond what was set in the first place, is more a problem if there are other stations able to hear the hop, and they add hops.. where does it stop..

      I don't feel we should be able to add hops at the end..

      I could have it completely wrong, and be on the wrong track!

      ;-)

      73 Kim

      > On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      > <kj4erj@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Good guess James, but that won't work.  APRSISCE/32 currently only
      > > matches on the first UNUSED (no *) element of the path.  If they are all
      > > used, you'll see an entry in Digi(NOT) that says so and that packet
      > > won't enter the digipeater logic.
      >
      > I'm going to assume that when you shove the packet back out the door,
      > the WIDE1* actually ends up in the frame as WIDE1 with the
      > has-been-digipeated bit set... right?
      >
      > When you get deep into the digipeater logic, we'll talk about
      > preemptive digipeating and more. If those silly little cellphones
      > become trashcan fodder, they might be a nice little platform for smart
      > digipeaters. Hook into the old KPC-3 sitting on the mountaintop, and
      > have APRSISCE running on the cellphone doing the digipeating. The
      > biggest detractor to making the APRS network smarter is the fact that
      > there are so many KPC-3 TNCs out there that are limited on what they
      > can do. A little duct tape, and some wires and the KPC-3 can get a
      > brain transplant.
      >
      > Having a copy of APRSISCE at every digipeater would allow for some
      > extremely serious enhanced digipeater logic, and smart operations. I
      > best get to bed and let these thoughts dance their way through my
      > dreams!
      >
      > James
      > VE6SRV

      1b.

      Re: Aprsisce digi capable..

      Posted by: "apenadragon" kc2ant@...   apenadragon

      Wed Jun 1, 2011 5:57 am (PDT)

      if one has a basement, then why can one not hang an antenna outside that would get better coverage than the mobile anyway, and just hook the HT to that....

      Just my .02

      Adam
      KC2ANT

      > On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      > <kj4erj@...> wrote:
      > > On 5/31/2011 8:43 PM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Does APRSISCE have an option to digipeat on a packet with NO next path
      > >> entry?   That's sometimes handy.
      > >
      > > It does not and it sounds like a really dangerous option.  Can you
      > > describe the function, what it actually does with each packet received,
      > > what the packet looks like after that promiscous digipeat, and why/when
      > > it would be considered handy and not harmful?
      >
      > The situation I can think of is the one where people want to sit in
      > the basement on their HT, yet be able to hear all the activity
      > happening on the network outside. The outgoing solution is to but the
      > radio in the mobile on as a TEMPn-N digipeater, and use it as the
      > first hop out of the basement. That however does not do anything for
      > moving ANYTHING heard outside down into the basement for the HT with a
      > rubber duck antenna on it.
      >
      > There is a solution to that type of operation through. Take a TNC, put
      > it in KISS mode, and jumper the TX and RX lines on the computer port.
      > Anything heard will go out the TX line, and get fed back in the RX
      > line, and then get resent out over the air. Make sure the radio you
      > tie into is not on 144.390 simplex though, or you'll get a lot of
      > people upset with you. Have the radio RX on 144.390 and TX on a packet
      > frequency at low power so it gets into the basement...
      >
      > Of course the much better solution is to put up and antenna on the
      > house, and connect a radio to it!
      >
      > James
      > VE6SRV
      >

      > > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ/EA1 - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
      > >
      > > PS.  If you could also mention what other software/hardware has such a
      > > feature, I can point to "prior art" when someone says I've done
      > > something stupid.

      1c.

      Re: Aprsisce digi capable..

      Posted by: "Fred Hillhouse" fmhillhouse@...   Broncus

      Wed Jun 1, 2011 6:16 am (PDT)

      James,

      I picked up one of those "silly little cellphones" at NEAR-FEST this year
      for $10. The silly little phone portion works according to the previous
      owner but I have not yet tested nor plan to. I was thinking that an older
      KPC3, not my 3+V8.3 unless the delay issue is solved, would make a great
      DIGI and hope to do that at some point. Actually, just about any KISS TNC
      will work.

      I am now on the hunt for another cheap silly little cellphone. I am looking
      forward to the updated digi functions Lynn will be adding.

      Leave off the duct tape, it makes a mess when it does come off. Automotive
      hook and loop is pretty good. I haven't figured out how to remove old dried
      residue yet. Goop-off doesn't work.

      I currently have the APRS Mobile Platform, formally known as "silly little
      cellphone", connected to a T2-301. Quite a nice setup!

      _____

      <kj4erj@... <mailto:kj4erj%40arrl.net> > wrote:

      > Good guess James, but that won't work. APRSISCE/32 currently only
      > matches on the first UNUSED (no *) element of the path. If they are all
      > used, you'll see an entry in Digi(NOT) that says so and that packet
      > won't enter the digipeater logic.

      I'm going to assume that when you shove the packet back out the door,
      the WIDE1* actually ends up in the frame as WIDE1 with the
      has-been-digipeated bit set... right?

      When you get deep into the digipeater logic, we'll talk about
      preemptive digipeating and more. If those silly little cellphones
      become trashcan fodder, they might be a nice little platform for smart
      digipeaters. Hook into the old KPC-3 sitting on the mountaintop, and
      have APRSISCE running on the cellphone doing the digipeating. The
      biggest detractor to making the APRS network smarter is the fact that
      there are so many KPC-3 TNCs out there that are limited on what they
      can do. A little duct tape, and some wires and the KPC-3 can get a
      brain transplant.

      Having a copy of APRSISCE at every digipeater would allow for some
      extremely serious enhanced digipeater logic, and smart operations. I
      best get to bed and let these thoughts dance their way through my
      dreams!

      1d.

      Re: Aprsisce digi capable..

      Posted by: "apenadragon" kc2ant@...   apenadragon

      Wed Jun 1, 2011 6:23 am (PDT)

      I'm curious as to what it takes exactly to connect one of these silly cell phones to an external TNC.

      and just so I'm clear, you have a windows phone, that's not being used as a phone, hooked to a TNC/Radio for useing APRSISCE?

      Adam
      KC2ANT

      > James,
      >
      > I picked up one of those "silly little cellphones" at NEAR-FEST this year
      > for $10. The silly little phone portion works according to the previous
      > owner but I have not yet tested nor plan to. I was thinking that an older
      > KPC3, not my 3+V8.3 unless the delay issue is solved, would make a great
      > DIGI and hope to do that at some point. Actually, just about any KISS TNC
      > will work.
      >
      > I am now on the hunt for another cheap silly little cellphone. I am looking
      > forward to the updated digi functions Lynn will be adding.
      >
      > Leave off the duct tape, it makes a mess when it does come off. Automotive
      > hook and loop is pretty good. I haven't figured out how to remove old dried
      > residue yet. Goop-off doesn't work.
      >
      > I currently have the APRS Mobile Platform, formally known as "silly little
      > cellphone", connected to a T2-301. Quite a nice setup!
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Fred, N7FMH

      1e.

      Re: Aprsisce digi capable..

      Posted by: "Fred Hillhouse" fmhillhouse@...   Broncus

      Wed Jun 1, 2011 6:38 am (PDT)

      A Bluetooth module will work. I have one running. The Tilt has a serial port
      on the USBEXT connector but I have not determined how or if it is possible
      to access it except for updating a ROM.

      My Tilt doesn't like Wi-Fi and BT running concurrently. So as an I-Gate with
      this particular unit using BT for theTNC connection and W-FI for the network
      connection will not work, hence the search for more USBEXT use data. It does
      make for a great digipeater.

      _____

      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com> , "Fred
      Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

      > James,
      >
      > I picked up one of those "silly little cellphones" at NEAR-FEST this year
      > for $10. The silly little phone portion works according to the previous
      > owner but I have not yet tested nor plan to. I was thinking that an older
      > KPC3, not my 3+V8.3 unless the delay issue is solved, would make a great
      > DIGI and hope to do that at some point. Actually, just about any KISS TNC
      > will work.
      >
      > I am now on the hunt for another cheap silly little cellphone. I am
      looking
      > forward to the updated digi functions Lynn will be adding.
      >
      > Leave off the duct tape, it makes a mess when it does come off. Automotive
      > hook and loop is pretty good. I haven't figured out how to remove old
      dried
      > residue yet. Goop-off doesn't work.
      >
      > I currently have the APRS Mobile Platform, formally known as "silly little
      > cellphone", connected to a T2-301. Quite a nice setup!
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Fred, N7FMH

      1f.

      Re: Aprsisce digi capable..

      Posted by: "apenadragon" kc2ant@...   apenadragon

      Wed Jun 1, 2011 6:45 am (PDT)

      I was simply thinking that if I can pick up a windows phone on the cheap, use GPS and blue tooth to connect it to a TNC hooked to a radio, it might make one of my dumb trackers for an event into something a little more two way. If I've got it hooked to RF, I don't really need it to hit the IS portion.

      Really just thinking outloud, wonder how APRSISCE would work on a phone that has no network connectivity... thinking I'd have to load an SD card with the maps already from another source though....

      Adam
      KC2ANT

      > A Bluetooth module will work. I have one running. The Tilt has a serial port
      > on the USBEXT connector but I have not determined how or if it is possible
      > to access it except for updating a ROM.
      >
      > My Tilt doesn't like Wi-Fi and BT running concurrently. So as an I-Gate with
      > this particular unit using BT for theTNC connection and W-FI for the network
      > connection will not work, hence the search for more USBEXT use data. It does
      > make for a great digipeater.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Fred, N7FMH
      >

      > _____

      1g.

      Re: Aprsisce digi capable..

      Posted by: "Andre" pe1rdw@...   aprsrdw

      Wed Jun 1, 2011 6:52 am (PDT)

      > On 5/31/2011 8:43 PM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:
      > >
      > > Does APRSISCE have an option to digipeat on a packet with NO next path
      > > entry? That's sometimes handy.
      >
      > It does not and it sounds like a really dangerous option. Can you
      > describe the function, what it actually does with each packet received,
      > what the packet looks like after that promiscous digipeat, and why/when
      > it would be considered handy and not harmful?
      >
      > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ/EA1 - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
      >
      > PS. If you could also mention what other software/hardware has such a
      > feature, I can point to "prior art" when someone says I've done
      > something stupid.

      digi_ned has that option, I think it was called digiend.
      a packet would come in as digi1*,digi2*,wide2* and go out as digi1*,digi2*,wide2*,mydigi*.
      The reason it was included is that at the time in the netherlands we had a seperate novice aprs frequentie on 70cm and wanted to be able to get all trafic that came in on 144.800 back out on 430.5125.

      other aplication where it would be handy is the superlan idea that sadly never toke off when the 144.39 fix came about.

      73 Andre PE1RDW

      1h.

      Re: Aprsisce digi capable..

      Posted by: "Fred Hillhouse" fmhillhouse@...   Broncus

      Wed Jun 1, 2011 7:58 am (PDT)

      Hi Adam,

      If you had been reading previous posts then the thinking will be minimal. It
      may not even produce smoke from the ears. :)

      I will tell you it works great. I have no SIM card in my phone so it is now
      only a mobile platform. I turned off W-Fi since I am never really using it
      near my network. That cured my BT/Wi-Fi contention. BT lost!

      I am using the Roving Networks RN-240M but I think Lynn is using a IOGear
      Bluetooth module. I was ordering other stuff from mouser so I added it.

      The GPS on the mobile platform works so another GPS is not really needed.
      The TNC only needs KISS.

      The Tilt does have a GPS antenna port but I have not found the HTC antenna
      or looked for a 3rd party antenna. Inside a car, on the roads I have
      traveled so far, reception has not been an issue. I do not have heavy woods
      with rain testing in yet. It does appear to shut off if I don't hit a key
      but I may have caused that by changing a setting.

      The thick tree cover wet with rain is the reason I picked up an amplified
      antenna for my usual GPS. FIXes are fixed now!

      APRSISCE is not GPS software, so I for now I will still use my usual GPS.
      The usual GPS does all the normal stuff a GPS is good for. Waypoints and
      tracking are two items that I depend on. Yeah, I know that waypoints can be
      APRSISCE non-RF objects and I have played with that a bit. APRSISCE will
      also record a track but not what I desire. This not an issue since the usual
      GPS does that just fine.

      Although, I found MapWM which will record a track which can be later
      uploaded directly to their web site. It can be downloaded in a couple of
      different formats later. A GPX file is one format made available which is
      what I use. This last weekend I was on a road that was not in the OSM
      database. I will attempt to update using the MapWM output after I edit it a
      bit. There may be other GPS software that will emulate my Garmin. I haven't
      looked very hard for it yet. Between APRSISCE with objects and MapWM for
      track recording, the usual GPS could stay home. Nah!

      APRSISCE and MapWM can access the Mobile Platform GPS concurrently. This is
      nice! From what I can tell, a BT GPS could also be used and shared the same
      way. I have not been successful nor tried for more than a couple of minutes.
      I was actually using my Garmin connected to my BT module. I may get back it
      to it later but for now, the GPS in the Mobile Platform works fine. WinMo
      has to be adjusted for the external GPS and I did not have it set correctly.

      I picked up an 8GB uSD card and set the tile structure very similar to my
      desktop machine. The quickest way I found is to put the SD card into the
      desktop and load it, but other options will work. I may add a 32GB card in
      the future. Not that it is needed for maps unless...

      I use the Active Sync software from Microsoft. When that connection is
      running, tiles can be loaded through the desktop directly using APRSISCE.

      _____

> [...]

      older
      > > KPC3, not my 3+V8.3 unless the delay issue is solved, would make a great
      > > DIGI and hope to do that at some point. Actually, just about any KISS
      TNC
      > > will work.
      > >
      > > I am now on the hunt for another cheap silly little cellphone. I am
      > looking
      > > forward to the updated digi functions Lynn will be adding.
      > >
      > > Leave off the duct tape, it makes a mess when it does come off.
      Automotive
      > > hook and loop is pretty good. I haven't figured out how to remove old
      > dried
      > > residue yet. Goop-off doesn't work.
      > >
      > > I currently have the APRS Mobile Platform, formally known as "silly
      little
      > > cellphone", connected to a T2-301. Quite a nice setup!

      1i.

      Re: Aprsisce digi capable..

      Posted by: "apenadragon" kc2ant@...   apenadragon

      Wed Jun 1, 2011 8:24 am (PDT)

      I'll be honest I'm pretty sporatic about reading posts. If they don't peak my interest, or pertain to something that I'm not actively working on I just kind of skim over them. But the phone somehow caught my attention.

      I know that APRSISCE isn't a GPS software, that would have to be handled by the phone. Honestly I'm not sure I could hook it to my current trackers anyway as they are TT3 dumb trackers.

      I'm proficient enough with my current mobile set up that adding this to the mix isn't something that I want. although I could add it to my D700 in the pick up truck which would give me maps... there I go, thinking out loud again.

      Have a vacation in July to pay for so this line of thinking will have to be put on the back burner for the time being.

      Adam
      KC2ANT

> [...]
      >
      > APRSISCE and MapWM can access the Mobile Platform GPS concurrently. This is
      > nice! From what I can tell, a BT GPS could also be used and shared the same
      > way. I have not been successful nor tried for more than a couple of minutes.
      > I was actually using my Garmin connected to my BT module. I may get back it
      > to it later but for now, the GPS in the Mobile Platform works fine. WinMo
      > has to be adjusted for the external GPS and I did not have it set correctly.
      >
      > I picked up an 8GB uSD card and set the tile structure very similar to my
      > desktop machine. The quickest way I found is to put the SD card into the
      > desktop and load it, but other options will work. I may add a 32GB card in
      > the future. Not that it is needed for maps unless...
      >
      > I use the Active Sync software from Microsoft. When that connection is
      > running, tiles can be loaded through the desktop directly using APRSISCE.

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)