Re: Aprsisce digi capable..

  • apenadragon
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
      I'll be honest I'm pretty sporatic about reading posts. If they don't peak my interest, or pertain to something that I'm not actively working on I just kind of skim over them. But the phone somehow caught my attention.

      I know that APRSISCE isn't a GPS software, that would have to be handled by the phone. Honestly I'm not sure I could hook it to my current trackers anyway as they are TT3 dumb trackers.

      I'm proficient enough with my current mobile set up that adding this to the mix isn't something that I want. although I could add it to my D700 in the pick up truck which would give me maps... there I go, thinking out loud again.

      Have a vacation in July to pay for so this line of thinking will have to be put on the back burner for the time being.

      Adam
      KC2ANT

      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
        When you are ready, just ask and you will get more than you want probably. ;)

        Fred, N7FMH

        href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
        > Of apenadragon
        > Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011
        09:45
        > To:
        href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

        > I was simply thinking that if I can pick up a windows phone on
        the cheap,
        > use GPS and blue tooth to connect it to a TNC hooked to a
        radio, it might
        > make one of my dumb trackers for an event into something
        a little more two
        > way. If I've got it hooked to RF, I don't really need
        it to hit the IS
        > portion.
        >
        > Really just thinking
        outloud, wonder how APRSISCE would work on a phone that
        > has no network
        connectivity... thinking I'd have to load an SD card with the
        > maps
        already from another source though....

        > Adam

        KC2ANT

        href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com> , "Fred
        <fmhillhouse@> wrote:

        > > A Bluetooth module will
        work. I have one running. The Tilt has a serial
        > port
        > > on the
        USBEXT connector but I have not determined how or if it is possible

        to access it except for updating a ROM.

        > > My Tilt
        doesn't like Wi-Fi and BT running concurrently. So as an I-Gate

        with
        > > this particular unit using BT for theTNC connection and W-FI
        for the
        > network
        > > connection will not work, hence the search
        for more USBEXT use data. It
        > does
        > > make for a great
        digipeater.

        > > Best regards,
        > > Fred,
        N7FMH

        From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
        href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com> ] On
        > Behalf
        > > Of
        apenadragon
        > > Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 09:24
        > > To:
        aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
        > > Subject: [aprsisce] Re:
        Aprsisce digi capable..

        <fmhillhouse@> wrote:

        > > > James,
        > > >
        > > > I picked up one of those "silly little cellphones"
        at NEAR-FEST this
        > year
        > > > for $10. The silly little phone
        portion works according to the previous
        > > > owner but I have not
        yet tested nor plan to. I was thinking that an
        > older

        KPC3, not my 3+V8.3 unless the delay issue is solved, would make a great
        > > > DIGI and hope to do that at some point. Actually, just about any
        KISS
        > TNC
        > > > will work.
        > > >
        > > > I am now on the hunt for another cheap silly little cellphone. I am
        > > looking
        > > > forward to the updated digi functions Lynn will
        be adding.

        > > > Leave off the duct tape, it
        makes a mess when it does come off.
        > Automotive
        > > > hook
        and loop is pretty good. I haven't figured out how to remove old

        dried
        > > > residue yet. Goop-off doesn't work.
        > > >
        > > > I currently have the APRS Mobile Platform, formally known as
        "silly
        > little
        > > > cellphone", connected to a T2-301. Quite
        a nice setup!

        > > > Best regards,
        > > > Fred, N7FMH

      • apenadragon
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
          More than likely I'm sure.

          Thanks for the info though. I'll have to do some more thinking about it, now that I know it's capable.

          Adam
          KC2ANT

          > When you are ready, just ask and you will get more than you want probably.
          > ;)
          >
          > Fred, N7FMH
          >
          > _____

        • Bill V WA7NWP
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
            On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
            <kj4erj@...> wrote:

            > On 5/31/2011 8:43 PM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:
            > >
            > > Does APRSISCE have an option to digipeat on a packet with NO next path
            > > entry? That's sometimes handy.
            >
            > It does not and it sounds like a really dangerous option. Can you
            > describe the function, what it actually does with each packet received,
            > what the packet looks like after that promiscous digipeat, and why/when
            > it would be considered handy and not harmful?

            It's most useful running cross band. I've done it with Digi_ned to
            bring all the packets from one frequency to another. Digi_ned has
            the added benefit of being able to further decorate the outgoing path
            so all the digied packets had identifying path-elements added.

            The other place I can thing this would be handy would be acting like a
            networking bridge - the old digi in the car to the station in the cafe
            use case comes to mind.

            Bill
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 15, 2011
              On 6/1/2011 3:11 AM, James Ewen wrote:

              > I'm going to assume that when you shove the packet back out the door,
              > the WIDE1* actually ends up in the frame as WIDE1 with the
              > has-been-digipeated bit set... right?

              Yes. That's why the Kenwood-special modes (and future host/CONVerse
              mode) doesn't support digipeating. The UNPROTO xxxxx VIA yyyy,zzzz
              doesn't support transmitting the used bit on a path component.

              > When you get deep into the digipeater logic, we'll talk about
              > preemptive digipeating and more. If those silly little cellphones
              > become trashcan fodder, they might be a nice little platform for smart
              > digipeaters. Hook into the old KPC-3 sitting on the mountaintop, and
              > have APRSISCE running on the cellphone doing the digipeating. The
              > biggest detractor to making the APRS network smarter is the fact that
              > there are so many KPC-3 TNCs out there that are limited on what they
              > can do. A little duct tape, and some wires and the KPC-3 can get a
              > brain transplant.

              I'm so wanting to be there, but I haven't even begun to delve how to
              configure such a flexible beast. I want to do a new pre-emptive mode
              that does the pre-emption, but preserves the skipped unused path to
              allow use of a local booster digi while not requiring a truly custom
              path. More when I wrap my head further around it, but you might
              remember my questions a few months ago about just what the currently
              expected behavior is for pre-emptive digis.

              > Having a copy of APRSISCE at every digipeater would allow for some
              > extremely serious enhanced digipeater logic, and smart operations. I
              > best get to bed and let these thoughts dance their way through my
              > dreams!

              Headed there myself shortly!

              PS. I'm doing some catchup of e-mails that I didn't take the time to
              answer while on vacation. Sorry about the delays!

              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 15, 2011
                You've stated my concerns very well. Paths were meant to be consumed so
                that packets will die or we're back to what was all wrong with RELAY and
                WIDE.

                On 6/1/2011 6:10 AM, vk2asy wrote:
                > My thought on extending hops beyond what was set in the first place, is more a problem if there are other stations able to hear the hop, and they add hops.. where does it stop..
                >
                > I don't feel we should be able to add hops at the end..
                >
                > I could have it completely wrong, and be on the wrong track!
                >
                > ;-)
                >
                > 73 Kim
                > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen<ve6srv@...> wrote:
                >> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                >> <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>> Good guess James, but that won't work. APRSISCE/32 currently only
                >>> matches on the first UNUSED (no *) element of the path. If they are all
                >>> used, you'll see an entry in Digi(NOT) that says so and that packet
                >>> won't enter the digipeater logic.
                >> I'm going to assume that when you shove the packet back out the door,
                >> the WIDE1* actually ends up in the frame as WIDE1 with the
                >> has-been-digipeated bit set... right?
                >>
                >> When you get deep into the digipeater logic, we'll talk about
                >> preemptive digipeating and more. If those silly little cellphones
                >> become trashcan fodder, they might be a nice little platform for smart
                >> digipeaters. Hook into the old KPC-3 sitting on the mountaintop, and
                >> have APRSISCE running on the cellphone doing the digipeating. The
                >> biggest detractor to making the APRS network smarter is the fact that
                >> there are so many KPC-3 TNCs out there that are limited on what they
                >> can do. A little duct tape, and some wires and the KPC-3 can get a
                >> brain transplant.
                >>
                >> Having a copy of APRSISCE at every digipeater would allow for some
                >> extremely serious enhanced digipeater logic, and smart operations. I
                >> best get to bed and let these thoughts dance their way through my
                >> dreams!
                >>
                >> James
                >> VE6SRV

              • Bill V WA7NWP
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 15, 2011
                  > You've stated my concerns very well. Paths were meant to be consumed so
                  > that packets will die or we're back to what was all wrong with RELAY and WIDE.

                  It all depends on what you're doing with the packet. Gating
                  extending it to flood even further a flat network like 144.39 would
                  usually be bad. On the other hand, it might be needed to route the
                  packet up to a gateway digi on a mountain pass that then sent it down
                  the other side to a whole new community starved for packets..

                  Out here I've used the DIGI_NED feature of appending and modifying
                  paths very successfully to gate between frequencies.

                  For example, packets I heard on 145.01 would be gated to 144.39 with a
                  changed path.

                  Original packet:

                  BIG01Digi>;Hello World

                  Gated packet:

                  BIG01DIGI>NWP501*,WIDE8-8;Hello World

                  Folks could see the NWP501* and realize that was the route back to the
                  other channel so they could ping BIG01DIGI with a path of NWP501.

                  Back on 145.01, the packet would come out looking like:

                  XYZ>NWP439*,BIG01DIGI; Hello World...

                  (Packets are representative and not how the format really works...)

                  I'm not suggesting APRSISCE needs this but please don't shut the door
                  on an otherwise useful concept... There's so much more we could be
                  doing with packet than we are now...

                  Bill - WA7NWP
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 16, 2011
                    On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Bill V WA7NWP <wa7nwp@...> wrote:

                    > BIG01DIGI>NWP501*,WIDE8-8;Hello World

                    Now BIll's smoking something funny... Bill, you know better! WIDE7-7
                    is the largest available number of hops under the spec. 8)